Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with this den!!!!
ahelton142
February 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is not my furniture . This was pics before we bought home. We have not moved in yet. Help me!!! Floors stay and on right side that you can't see double windows in center of room and 2 outside doors.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ahelton142
Room is 14x24
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 3:58AM
inkwitch
You're going to get more suggestions than you can imagine! Love the floors! Too many people think parquet is outdated, but it's beautiful and when well-done, worth gold! Don't care for the fireplace. Old red brick is so dated and clunky.

Looks like wallpaper on everything. Smart move: before you move in, remove wallpaper. It's so much easier in an empty room! Prep walls and paint with white primer. THEN decide what you want to do color-wise. Test out some colors on the walls to see what works with the light.

You might as well reconcile yourself to either painting or recladding the fireplace. Painting it would be easiest and fastest (and economical). Check with experts about what it takes. If you plan on using hte FP, it will require certain paints. Once you decide on a color scheme, then you can decide what color to paint that brick and whether you want it to be a focal point or ignored (sort of hard to do).

GIven that it's a narrow room in relation to its length, smaller scale furniture would work better. Loveseat instead of a huge sofa. If you have/plan a recliner (personally, I hate the things, but that's just me), there won't be much room left for more seating. If you plan on a huge sectional sofa, you won't need much else. If this is where you're going to put the TV, likely you'll use this room more than a living room, so seating should be planned around the number of family members. GIven the length, perhaps a rectangular table with seating at the end opposite the FP. I'd float the sofa/loveseat across the room, facing the FP, not along a wall. Good luck and congratulations! You're going to have so much fun!
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 4:16AM
ahelton142
I do plan to remove all wallpaper and we will use the fireplace I was thinking I might cover it will a rock type material that I found at lowes. I'm trying to decide if I want to go all the way to the ceiling with Rick or just cover the fireplace with it. It has propane logs already there. I personally want to open up this room. The room to the left is the formal living room that we will never use. It is 14x18 but my husband really doesn't want to do this. I'm thinking of going with a beige , khaki color or a gray in the room on the walls?
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 4:51AM
ahelton142
If I open it up it will make this room 28x42. The offset in the measurements is the foyer that's beside the formal living room
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 4:53AM