Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dark or White Kitchen?
nlight11
February 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are headed to the design center in like two days and I have been debating on whether or not to get dark cabinets or white for this kitchen.

The photo shows the model home which is also our floor plan. I'm thinking we are either going to get flat panel or shaker style cabinets and definitely going to have very dark wood floors.

Please let me know what cabinet/counter combination you think would work best for this layout.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
aniluap2
I love white kitchens and are drawn to them in every house we have lived in. I never get tired of white
Because its clean, fresh and bright. I tend to like black counters and white subway or Carrera marble backsplash but you can actually put in any color countertop you like and it will look great. I have dark wood floors in my kitchen and they do not show dirt as much so they always look good no matter what is going on. You can also bring in color with paint and accessories. White is also timeless and won't look dated. I live in a 93 year old home whose original kitchen was white. Shaker style cabinets have a classic look and have a simple style to them that fits many types of decor.
February 9, 2013 at 7:08AM   
Lkristine
I agree with white cabinets! They are just classic. It just kind of depends what you are choosing for backsplash and countertops too. Anyway, just to give you an idea of white cabinets in there, here is a pic.
February 9, 2013 at 7:20AM     
aniluap2
The fireplace surround in the picture you sent is also white and will flow well with the kitchen.
February 9, 2013 at 7:37AM     
4resas
Yes, the white cabinets really brighten the space up. Is it possible to get the contractor to add an outlet or 2 on top of the cabinets. Then you can put lights on top. I think would help brighten up the dark corners.
February 9, 2013 at 7:41AM   
Amar Singh
It's depend on amount of natural light in your kitchen,this is common convention about kitchen it should be in white rather than this kitchen looks impressive in high gloss black and blood red color with white corian on splash area and counter top,but kitchen should be of at least 13' in length.not now but after some day i will upload the site picture of this combination.
February 9, 2013 at 7:48AM   
karenlrice
I love white cabinets but do think it depends on your goal for your whole room. Light makes a big difference to me so that is why I love white. Also I love the cottage look. If I am working on a Craftsman or contemporary look, I would lean towards stained cabinets, but it is truly about what you need and love. Have fun.
February 9, 2013 at 8:06AM   
trmcguire
It looks like all the trim and fireplace are white? A white kitchen would be stunning!!! White kitchens are classic, where as woods go in and out of fashion e.g. Dark, light, oak, cherry . . . But, with that being said go with what you love! You live there. Good luck.
February 9, 2013 at 8:34AM     
sfrealtor
Whatever you choose I would continue the cabinets to the ceiling.
February 9, 2013 at 8:56AM     
borodkina
I think white glossy flat panel style will brighten this kitchen and create a nice contrast with dark wood floors.
February 9, 2013 at 9:04AM   
nlight11
You guys are great, thanks for the feedback! Great mock up and great idea about the lighting in the corners. I would love to continue the cabinets to the ceiling, but we shall see how much that is going to cost.

I do love the modern/contemporary look so I think I can still get that with white flat panel. We actually aren't going to have a fireplace, we went without that option and will have windows instead. Ultimately I want the accordion doors back there because we have a great view with no homes behind us - but for now windows will do!

I'm thinking like cream granite with the black/dark brown flecks. But the black would look good too..

So many decisions!!!
February 9, 2013 at 10:08AM   
billgrotheer
White
February 9, 2013 at 10:09AM   
aniluap2
Like the option of windows. Looks like you're making great choices but just looking for a sanity check. Let us know what you eventually decide on.
February 9, 2013 at 10:12AM     
4resas
You should have a dark element someplace other than the floors. I like the look of dark horizontal surfaces and light cabinets in between. What are your backsplash options?
February 9, 2013 at 10:18AM   
nlight11
Hi aniluap2,

Yes!! I'm starting to hyperventilate because its only days away and so many choices have to be made! I know most of it can be changed but want to be sure we get as much right as possible the first time around.

Always good to get other more experienced perspectives because there are so many things to consider we aren't aware of!

I will definitely share final design choices!
February 9, 2013 at 10:19AM   
nlight11
Hi 4resas,

I'm not even sure of the options yet, I think the standard is the 12 x 12 tiles for backsplash but I'm almost certain I don't want that. I almost want them to not put anything and we can select our own outside of the builder for probably cheaper - but might as well do it now while we have the labor.

I'm not even sure on backsplash color because it such an open space and will affect the entire room. We still need to pick out furniture : /
February 9, 2013 at 10:23AM   
4resas
The backsplash is one of the easier items to switch out. So going builder basic and changing it is definitely a good way to go.
February 9, 2013 at 10:55AM     
color1235
If your kitchen is seperated from other rooms, white can be stunning. If your kitchen is off the living or dining area, white may not tie in. My suggestion would be off-white or ivory cabinets with a mocha glaze in the crevices of the molding. Then pull in some medium-dark wood items such as an island, table, or moldings. This look is sophisticated and gives you the best of both worlds.
February 9, 2013 at 11:15AM   
gustaviangrunge
White shaker-door cabs need a dark hardware. With dark-woods, I like a glass or porcelain knob&pulls.The hardware is the key. It's a design element that's so often and easily overlooked. With any of your large vertical surfaces, it's going to be the small, contrasting details which draw the eye. If you go with the white/dark choice, the contrast is high and the eye will be drawn mostly to the knobs. While the dark/translucent option is more subtle and the eye will want to see more of both.
February 9, 2013 at 1:10PM     
azelizabeth
I am going with white cabinets and either going with marble (gasp) or bianco antica granite (mix of gray, white, beige).
February 9, 2013 at 8:51PM     
Lkristine
It will be beautiful!!!!! Don't doubt yourself!!!!!!!!
February 9, 2013 at 9:18PM     
4resas
I regretted getting marble. It had color variations, movement and a creamy/tan color. I was sure it had enough variation that stains wouldn't be noticed. Someone left a stick of wrapped butter on the counter over night. The dark perfect rectangle stuck out like a sore thumb.
February 9, 2013 at 9:33PM     
trasgorshek
Gotta agree with 4resas. Have marble on my island and wouldn't do it again even though I absolutely love the color and veining. Way too many marks and stains. Even a glass of ice water will leave a ring stain if left too long.
February 9, 2013 at 9:40PM   
PRO
Eagledzines
This would be a nice combination. Benjamin Moore White Cloud #967
and Lotus granite. The gold in the granite would tie in with your livingroom walls.
February 9, 2013 at 10:04PM   
aniluap2
Love both choices but have to agree with 4seas and transgorsheck about the amount of care it needs. I did not use it in my kitchen because it stains so easily. I went to a show house for a charity event, there was a beautiful kitchen with Carrera marble counters. I commented to the home owner that I was renovating my kitchen and considering Carrera. Snhe pulled me aside quietly and moved a couple of trays and canisters that were strategically placed to cover stains on her counter top and advised me not to do it. I have them in my bathroom and even there I have to be extremely careful about making sure that any drips of cream or other products are cleaned up immediately. If you use your kitchen it will end up being really high maintainence. It depends on lifestyle, we entertain a lot and I use my kitchen so I was worried about food and wine stains. Granite is much less porous.
February 10, 2013 at 5:54AM   
nlight11
Hey guys!

Here is what we ended up going with. Ignore the sheet of laminate. We selected the white shaker with that granite and the darker wood scraped floors. We got a neutral 12x12 diagonal tile for the backsplash because I'm not sure if we need anything with that granite plus the builder options didn't fit my taste so I'm going to wait and see if it needs to be switched up.

I'm debating if I'm going to call her back to get the island a black-brown shaker or keep it white : /

Thanks for your help again!!
February 12, 2013 at 5:06PM     
Jean Tuck
grey swirly tiles counter , and very light cream paint /or eggshell white paint.
February 12, 2013 at 5:19PM   
4resas
It looks great!
February 12, 2013 at 5:30PM     
aniluap2
Good job! It will look fantastic while still being practical. I love shaker cabinets because they are so versatile and can transition from contemporary to old world depending on their surroundings.
February 13, 2013 at 7:20AM