Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for my kitchen
A D
February 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello! Here's a pic of my new kitchen. I think the white pantry door and the black trim on the refrigerator is too harsh. I don't particularly like the tiles but I can't change them for now. Any suggestions on what I could do to make it look nicer. Thanks a ton!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sillyrachael
Lovely kitchen, has this been recently built or remodeled? Are the appliances new and do you plan on keeping them? My suggestion is to replace the white door with a glass pantry door, there are many choices of glass out there from clear to privacy glass. If the appliances are not new, perhaps they could be replaced in a stainless steel? If they are new, It looks like there is alot of black space on the refrigerator. Not sure what you could change on the refrigerator since the rest of the appliances are black and coordinate. Having a professional paint the black area came to mind, but not sure how practical this would be with functionality of the water dispenser.
2 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 7:17AM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
Funny, but my eye was drawn to the black in a positive way. Would you consider either an oak louvered pantry door or as the previous reply indicated, a frosted glass pantry door? I think if you embraced the black and went on to embelish the right side of the room, it would tend to just become more a part of the plan, instead of being something that annoys you? Hey. I think it's a beautiful kitchen! Bring the eye over to the right side of the space and begin enjoying ASAP. It's completely lovely! The cabinets are SWEET!
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 8:14AM
A D
Thanks guys! I love the idea of the frosted pantry door!
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 1:59PM
David
I really like the ideas of the glass "pantry" door. You can also get it in an A grade pine and stain it to look like the rest of the kitchen.
1 more suggestion that wouldn't cost much is change the finish on the bead board at he raised island. You can bring in a darker stain, or faux finished it. Just something to break up the tone. Love all the cabinet space though.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 2:06PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
The white door could stay the way it is if you painted the beadboard on the island white. It would balance out the white door. I would select black barstools to balance the other black.

I also think that once you move in your accessories, that things will begin to look better.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
4 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 2:36PM
hparks74
Faux paint your door to blend with kitchen. Even the trim can be painted while still leaving base board bottoms white. Your kitchen will gain a cohesive look. I wouldn't paint bead board. The issue is your door is fighting the frig. If you removed panels from frig face you would even notice white door less.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 3:33PM
tennisanyone
Paint the door the same as the walls or I like the frosted door idea too. I would darken the island . You can also add dark knobs to the cabinets.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 3:51PM
Jayme H.
I would look at putting some black accessories on top of the cabinets/or some with black in them..also I like that black bar stool idea. And I agree the white door is too glaring white...
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 3:54PM
wmpj
How about painting the pantry door and trim around the door the same color as the wall color? Or, you could go a shade lighter or darker but still use a semi-gloss or gloss paint.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 3:59PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
All wonderful ideas!! I've often times used the same color (or one shade in either direction) as a perfectly wonderful fix. This may just be one of the easiest and most acceptable ideas yet. At least a very good place to start "dabbling" to find your way through. If that doesn't end up suiting you, could take on some of the more aggressive tasks. I'd say you're well on your way! Best of luck. No worries!!
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 4:08PM
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
Black wrought iron bar stools for balance and fretwork feel, a smart wrought iron handle or knob on cabinets, dark accessories as suggested like a Kitchen Aid black mixer or fruit bowl in black/charcoal & tan. Vase in black or charcoal with rusts & greens. Built on the theme to develop cohesion between the elements.

Paint out pantry door in wall colour then will disappear. Or if you do a french door with mullions, paint it with black as the mullions will then appear more as a trim. Or french door with wrought iron grill would bring the black in as a lacy element.

Leave cabinets as they are. They are warm & look to be nice quality. Don't paint the wainscott on back of island. If it chips wth folks feet banging along there, it would be much more work to keep looking nice. Wood will camouflage and be easier to touch up. (felt pens work great!)

The fridge would have to go to an autobody paint shop to fix the black trim. The plastic at water dispenser would not change. Would have to stay black. I've had it done for clients, but never guaranteed

Also consider a few drop pendants over the bar to balance a touch of black trim see this image:

Senior Designer~ Urbana
3 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 4:13PM
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
see pendants... this line has some beauties.. Hubbardton Forge
http://www.hubbardtonforge.com/ProductsInfo.cfm?Design=18764
3 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 4:20PM
Jayme H.
I too thought of painting the door, but didn't know if there are other doors in the room...
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 4:39PM
ispeakwhale
My first thought is also the simplest - paint the door black. Then bring barstools like the ones posted above.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:06PM
bollmansct
I think I would paint the door the same color as the wall so it almost disappears. Then I might hang a black board on the door for notes, message etc. which would highlight the black in the room and bring some black to that spot. Another option is to paint the door AND white crown and base molding a lighter shade of the wall color. If it is a color that blends with the walls but lighter like the tile, then it would provide contrast but much less than the current white which does stand out. (Not sure how extensive the white trim or white doors are....)
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:25PM
kmetzger27
Go for a stone island look. I think that'd look perfect here. And change color of white door.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 7:21PM
A D
Hello again! Any suggestions on what color to paint the kitchen?The formal and dining areas are mostly going to be Shaker Beige or Manhattan Tan. THe kitchen flows into the family room so would really appreciate your inputs on a color that would complement both rooms. Thanks!
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 11:29AM
A D
THe picture above is the family room. Also I might replace the granite with black galaxy.
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 11:30AM
simplify52
My friend put a glass door with windows on her pantry and then put a curtain behind it to show through the windows. It is absolutely the perfect thing at least for her kitchen! I agree the black trim should be changed.
1 Like   March 21, 2013 at 11:43AM
PRO
Granite Transformations
Hi AD,

You have a lot of brownish,beige coloring in this kitchen. It's a nice layout with some great features. I agree with your observation on the black appliances/trim and white door. But I think that could be resolved.

I think paint is the answer. I'd paint your kitchen walls an earth tone to get a color contrast in this space. I think this shade of green from Benjamin Moore would be a great fit, it's called "Sienna Laurel"- http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/siennalaurel.

The last thing you might want to consider is installing a new backsplash. We could install a new backsplash for you without demolition. I think our "Millennium" mosaic tile would look great in this kitchen, especially with some new paint. http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/traditional-mosaic/

Good luck with your updating!
1 Like   March 21, 2013 at 11:51AM
A D
I'm actually thinking of the same color for both my kitchen and family room. Reading so much about color flow, so wondering which colors go well with Shaker Beige
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 12:26PM
PRO
Urban Designs
AD- your kitchen looks really nice! What about staining the cabinets a darker color? Love the frosted idea as well. Here's a darker look that really pops and gives the room a rich look.
1 Like   March 21, 2013 at 12:31PM