Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Finishing up the Living Room
ataverna
February 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need to accessorize the living room including art work. I need something over the fireplace and on the wall (oppsite wall is a cream couch in front of a large window).Where do I place art work on the wall? Over each chair? With a picture over the fireplace, will it be too much? Didn't want to do a mirror over the fireplace because the back of the shelves are mirrored. Please help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
getahouse
Very nice! It's time to be bold and add some bright color! Go for it.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 8:39AM
balsiva
You can add a large clock above the fire place. An easy way to figure out how to place pictures on the wall is to cut different sizes of paper that match frame sizes, and arrange them differently until you find one that you like best. Doesn't just have to be one or two.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 8:43AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
What a great start..First I would paint the back wall over the mantle your wall color. It will bring a little more depth to that wall. You really need some color in this room. I would purchase colorful art..large in size. For over the fireplace find something that will almost fill the space. I would choose a more substantial lamp..with an aged metal base that is interesting. On the large wall you could have one larger piece on one side of the table/lamp and a symmetrical grouping of same framed "somethings". Choose several colors from the large art piece over the fireplace and use those colors in patterns for large pillows on the sofa and solid or striped ones on the 2 chairs. I would also, if possible remove one shelf from each side of the fireplace so you can put larger pieces on shelves...plate on stand, large bowl, green plant, books. Just don't over crowd it.
3 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 8:47AM
PRO
Raashi Design
You can add a couple of framed art works over the accent table - arrange vertically. The frame at the bottom will partially be hidden by the lamp. For the fireplace, bring in some bright color like orange/brick red artwork with a beautiful frame.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 8:51AM
jakelee8
Add a painting or mirror with detailed frame around the mirror to get the look that I think u are looking for
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 8:54AM
ataverna
Any rules for artwork? Would this work in the room? Maybe over the fireplace? Its canvas and can be framed, or not. I like the clock idea too. Thanks everyone for your comments.
3 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 9:03AM
lessismoore
I echo Barbara Griffith ". I would choose a more substantial lamp..with an aged metal base that is interesting."
As for art ... your have a wonderful blank canvas to hang almost anything. So, is there a color, a image, you especially love? A style (classical vs. modern/abstract?). Whatever central over the fireplace art you pick, I could see adding some mono tonal pieces, charcoal sketches or pencil/ink drawings, to keep with your gray palette too.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 9:09AM
ataverna
Or this...is this style of art ok?
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 9:48AM
ataverna
Thank you Barbara for all your tips. I wish you were local!! I'd ask you to finish the room!
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 9:55AM
lessismoore
Hi again - if you like it, it's "okay." I think either of these would work well with the rooms furnishings and colors. You have reds, golds, oranges and just a spot of blues in each piece - all those colors would make for great accent colors in a primarily gray room. I would call these impressionistic.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 10:42AM
lessismoore
Once you choose your main art, I'd suggest finding engravings, pen and inks, or charcoals in black & white to fill in with - the textural feel of these would work well with the patterns in your chairs and rug. Here's just one example of an engraving.
Check Etsy for original work. This is small pastel that would look great paired with other work. http://www.etsy.com/listing/115082058/red-orchid-pastel-painting-soft-pastel?
Also, pen and ink from the same artist: http://www.etsy.com/listing/77171103/day-lilies-original-pen-and-ink-drawing?
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 10:54AM
ataverna
lessismoore...Thank you. I'm finding this very challanging, although some find it the easiest and most fun part of any decorating project!
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 11:30AM
Maureen Randall
Here is a great idea....pick out 2 or 3 of our favorite photos and download to snapfish (or something simlar) and edit those pictures in black/white and have photo canvases made from your pictures. Make sure your pictures are the same theme...ie...wedding pictures, kids pictures, or landscape shots. i made my daughter one of her college...with the gothic spires and architecture. Also, I would paint above the mantle the same color as rest of the room, or add an eye-poppin color that would match some of your accessories...ie..pillows or curtains. You wouldnt even have to add anything in that space, just accessorize your mantle with mercury glass candle holders or a beautiful bouquet of flowers. Well good luck to you, and dont stress...good design takes time to make the house uniquely yours.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 11:59AM
lessismoore
My pleasure! Your room looks great. With a few "decor" pieces it will be fabulous! I think the biggest thing would be to not overdo - you don't need much there at all. With either vibrant painting like the two you posted, you will need some breathing room - which is why I think if it is paired some black and white art, it will complete, but not overwhelm the room. Just a few spots of color will do it. I'm going to try a photoshop of some of these in position :-) Back later.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 12:02PM
Keitha
Hi there.! Beautiful room. Barbara is right about painting above the mantle and installing one very large piece of art. For ideas behind the chairs I'm attaching a few photos for you to consider ... I'm thinking a collection of photos or mirrors would be a nice compliment to the artwork over the mantle. Another thought is to find a beautiful screen and hang it on the wall.
2 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 12:36PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Everyone is awesome today..all great ideas. Can't wait to see the "after" pictures.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 1:45PM
katiekirkendall
Browse art.com you def needs some red and yellow!
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 1:49PM
Coralee Angell
I think this room and furniture look great. You need to pick an accent colour to give it character, such as light blue which goes well with grey. Then I would choose a large piece of art containing the accent colour, along with 4 smaller pictures or art (2 stacked vertically over each chair). Finish it all off with some throw pillows on the couch in a mixture of greys and light blue (or the colour you decide on).
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 1:57PM
lessismoore
This is a visualization, adding in a few pieces (hoping I got the perspective right on these). I used the one painting you posted, added a few "blue" ceramic pieces to pick up the aquas in the painting over fireplace and an orange bowl and a bright gold throw, orange pillow - none of this is set in stone :-) Trimmed down your lamp base a bit and put a collection of art - pen and ink, two older engravings, a color "pop" orchid (as they say) and finished off with a metal sculpture panel. A lot of how well this would work will depend on sizing and framing.
4 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 2:08PM
ataverna
Once again, thank you everyone for your suggestions! Maureen, your idea makes the room so personal and I love that. Keitha, thanks for the photos. I love that look! Lessismoore, I can't believe the time you took to present me with a visualization! I'm definitely deficient in "seeing things" in my mind and this looks so wonderful! The pops of color make it look like a room you want to spend time in! I can't thank you and eveyone enough. This is an AMAZING community!
4 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 2:16PM
aniluap2
Fantastic visualization lesdismore. You helped her visualize her choices so well. Altaverna, when it comes to art it's your personal choice. You can either buy decorator art i.e. pieces that match your furniture or just pieces you love . It is more important that the frames all coordinate but if you love the piece it will outlast your furniture choices.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 2:34PM
Keitha
Lessismoore's, can you suggest a link to help learn how to do this?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 11:14AM
lessismoore
Hi Keitha - I use Photoshop (program name) as for learning its ins and out ...The program usually comes with a beginning tutorial. I bet you could find some tutorials, even "free" ones on youtube. Many community colleges will also offer courses. It's a fantastic tool.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:55PM
Keitha
Thanks lessismoore I will look into it. Such an advantage to visually show specific thoughts and ideas. Hopefully there is a tutorial for seniors! LOL :-)
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 1:05PM
PRO
CHRISICOS INTERIORS
Hello, Certainly over the fireplace the dimensions could be similar to the dimensions of the firebox opening- and a colorful piece of art in any medium- water color, oil, acrylic would create a focal point for the fireplace wall. Example attached.
0 Likes   February 16, 2014 at 8:58AM