powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help me deisgn an actual Entrance to our new home!?
kayasmomma
February 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The inside of this old Florida home is nothing but walls now! Its so very exciting! We want the Key West style home. Siding over the brick. Probably a similar shade of blue. Doors (front and garage) will most likely be a stained wood. (I will try to attach pics of all)
With the placment of the garage peak, and that ugly empty soffet where address numbers are, and the bland entrance.......Im not loving, or liking the front! How will I add a pergola, porch, entrance, anything to the front without making it look like an ugly addition?? So stumped! 3rd pic is an idea. 4th pic is an example of style and color we want.

Thanks in advance!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayasmomma
No architects wanna give me their two cents? ;)
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:33PM
rinqreation
Just an idea; a small extension/copy of your roof over your front door. Will break the large bland space, provide some shadow and pull the attention towards the front door.
3 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:14PM
kayasmomma
Thanks so much! That's actually perfect!! If I wanted to extend the porch to the right of the door, stopping just past windows, will I need another peak in the roof? Would it look odd to have a flat roof? I just can't picture it! The picture was a great visual!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:10PM
hormonal
Why are there two separate doors? How would someone know which is the front door? Get rid of one.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:14PM
kayasmomma
Rin, could I trouble you to send that to my email? I'd appreciate it so much! rhiannon_stanton@yahoo.com
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:21PM
abbshel
It's called a double door. Most people would reach for the door handle to the right.
I had double doors for 25 years on a previous house w no problem.
4 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:22PM
kayasmomma
Yes we will have brand new doors!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:22PM
Jay Van Daley
The double doors are great for moving in. It's much easier to handle couches and stuff without banging up your door frames or walls. The idea above is similar to what I had pictured in my mind, only instead of coming off with a totally new roof, I would probably extend out from the right hand slope in the same plane, and then centered above the door I would break the peak of the gable. I would also consider 6"x 6", or 8"x8" columns over the two small columns rinqreation pictured. I would also consider enlarging the front patio and raising it to the level of the entry. Overall, I think rinqreation's was a great idea, maybe just with a couple of tweaks
4 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:22PM
kayasmomma
But there will still be two. I like how it looks actually!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:23PM
kayasmomma
Thanks Fedor, the roof will be new, and tin. Light silver most likely. I like the idea of a bigger column!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:27PM
Jay Van Daley
My thoughts on the doors...something with glass, but make sure the glass is opaque so that folks outside can't see clearly to the inside. You're in Florida, and bringing the sunshine indoors always helps keep things cheerful.
2 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:30PM
Jay Van Daley
I'd love to see the inside. I gutted my home in Texas in 2003 and opened up an area that had too many walls into a larger dining/living area. I would have removed more walls, but couldn't because one of them was load bearing. Be sure before you remove any interior walls that they aren't holding up the roof. With some imagination and care, load bearing walls can be removed, as long as there is a beam, usually steel or glue-laminated wood, to bear the weight of the old load bearing wall.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 2:33PM
kayasmomma
I'd love to post more pics, I have tons! Thankfully no walls were load bearing!!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:37PM
Jean Tuck
I like pictures 3 and 4. Both are beautiful.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 2:49PM
kayasmomma
Perfect Jean, neither one is my home! Lol
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:59PM
Jay Van Daley
Lucky you! Demolition is a lot of fun! Be sure to kill live electrical circuits before wielding the sledgehammer, though.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 3:02PM
Jean Tuck
Im thinking, I might like to front doors with oval frosted windows in them, brass lights either side of doors,and brass house numbers, Beige front paint, white trims and white garage doors, fill flower beds with annuals and poted urns either side of front doors with lighted small trees in them, Im no decorater either, but sometimes a picture of home in black n white printer off then add color changes till you get the look you want by using crayons to give you a look you might like. Does that work for you. ?
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 3:17PM
Dar Eckert
The entry that Rinqeation put together would work great. Now add a pergola from the end of the new roof to the other side of the bank of 3 windows. Ending where the house juts out. Then get stone or some other material for the entire area under the new roof and pergola. Maybe a low stone wall to seperate the driveway from the pato area. Make the wall low enough to use for seating. The photos show a low walls for seating of different designs.

Finley - Carmel SLP
A historic renovation

Outdoor Fireplace with pizza oven
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 3:23PM
rinqreation
Seems like the ball needed just a little push to get rolling, right, Kayasmomma? ;)
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 2:00AM
kayasmomma
Looks like it Rin! All wonderful suggestions!
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 6:21AM
kayasmomma
Love the idea of the pergola extending out from new roof! Going to go look for pics now! Thanks Dar!!
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 6:28AM
kayasmomma
Look at this wall Dar! What do you think?
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 6:52AM
lefty47
HI --- I would prefer you keep the mid century style of the house and not add a cottage element like a second peaked roof . It would be better to just extend the roof peak forward the amount you need ,- (don't extend soffit )supported by a beam and posts fitting that mid century style and keep it open eve under . An architect could help you with that. I like the double doors that are in the 4 th picture with some textured/frosted or reeded glass. If the doors are going to have a center piece again then that should also be the same color as the doors. Your house would look great White with black accents (doors) like in photo 4 . Please keep things modern no round or oval victorian features -- not right for this house. One of those frosted acrylic garage doors would look great too.
2 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 6:53AM
Dar Eckert
That planter and pergola would be perfect! Also consider lefty47's suggestions about extending the roofline over the entrance.
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 7:13AM
kayasmomma
Thank you Lefty! That's more of my husbands thinking too. For me it just takes me a little longer to visualize because I need to SEE it! Hence why I love Houzz......and all of you!
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 9:23AM
PRO
Clopay Building Products
If you want a stained wood look garage door without the upkeep you might want to check out a new insulated flush panel steel door from Clopay called the Cypress Collection. It's low maintenance and looks great on contemporary and stucco style homes - depending which way you decide to go. http://www.clopaydoor.com/cypress-collection.aspx. You can use the Door Imagination System on the website to upload a photo of your home to try on different garage door styles to see which one you like best. It's fun to play around with the possibilities.
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 1:06PM
kayasmomma
Low maintenance is good in FL, I'll have a look! Thanks
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 4:24PM