Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen design issues, please help.
mjkappraisal
February 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello, we just closed on our new home and the kitchen layout is a bit akward and we would like to open it up and get rid of all the honey oak. We cannot figure out a good layout that would work for our space. At this point we are open for suggestions and could use any advise or comments we can get! We would like to remove all walls between living and dining room. Thanks in advance!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Eagledzines
It is important to know in advance if the wall you would like to remove are bearing walls. Kitchen design comes after structural questions are answered. Also, you show spaces on your plan. Could you indicate what spaces are doors and what spaces are windows in the kitchen area? Do you have appliances picked out? If so, what are you planning on using? Do you want seating in the kitchen such as on a bar? How many cooks are in your house? I'm sure someone can help with a little bit more information.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 7:40PM
ruthbrog
I would get rid of the peninsula (half wall) and do a straight island in the center of the kitchen
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 7:48PM
mjkappraisal
Thanks for the input. There are no actual windows in the kitchen area, which is yet another reason we really want to open up the space. All walls between the kitchen and the living room/dining room areas are non weight bearing and can be removed. We were thinking of adding the peninsula and we love the half wall idea. We were also considering an additional island were the dinette area currently is with a wine bar area along the "L" shaped 4x7 wall, would this be weird with the walk through area dissecting the two spaces?
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 1:34PM
PRO
Eagledzines
Traffic is a major consideration. Spaces that you will be using shouldn't interfere with the function of a work space. Since (now I see from the pictures) there are no windows, it would be an excellent idea to open this up to take advantage of natural light. Another thing to consider is installing skylight(s) to provide more natural lighting.

When you say 'wine bar' are you meaning something with a place to sit and wine is stored? or just a place to store wine? Would be eating on the island or on the peninsula? And where were you thinking of adding a peninsula?

I'd love to make some suggestions but just need some clarifications on how you would like be using the space to give you some good ones.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 2:13PM
mjkappraisal
First of all I'd like to thank you for your input and ideas thus far. My fiance LOVED the idea of the skylights in this space and it has become a "must do". Also sorry for my lack of clarity, It's hard to get my ideas across. I have attached an additional sketch that may help you with what I was trying to explain. The wine bar would essentially be a few upper and lower cabinets with a wine fridge and storage for bottles and glasses. something similar to this. http://www.peacockcabinetryinc.com/Peacock_Cabinetry,_Inc./Gallery/Pages/Bars_%26_Wine.html#0 . As far as the peninsula I guess it's and island with a sink and an additional smaller island for seating of 2 or 3 people with additional storage below. Please let me know if this helps, I believe i can attach another photo, if not it will be on my profile.

Thanks!!
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 12:48PM
PRO
Eagledzines
Great! I'm glad that works for you. If you could give me the two dimensions marked on the map, I'll draw up a layout draft and perhaps you'll get a few from others.

Also, what is behind the laundry cabinet on the east side? Is it possible to open this up to an adjoining room or hall on the other side?

I'm glad you are taking advantage of your ideabook. That is helpful for us to understand what you are looking for and your style. If you happen to come across other things that fit your taste and post them for us to see, that is helpful.

The fan/light seems to be 'lonely'. Where the island goes we should think about some lighting there, even with skylights, for night lighting.

It's seems apparent at this point that there is no outside wall to vent a range, so that will have to be vented through the ceiling and roof because of off-gassing. Whether it's code in your area or not, it's just safer.

I might also mention, there appears to be nowhere to put ones' coats. Will that be a consideration or is that already taken care of?

I would also be helpful to know how many are in your family and do you both cook. That changes some of the kitchen clearance requirements.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 5:54PM
mjkappraisal
The dimensions are 19'2 x 10'6. The fan/light is VERY lonely, but it won't be around long. We we like to do a 2nd skylight over the island area, either way I agree some lighting is needed. Yes, you are also correct about the venting would have to be done through the ceiling.

The east wall of the laundry room backs up to the closet of our spare bedroom or my fiance's 2nd closet. So I would have a hard time convincing her to get rid of it. The remaining kitchen wall backs to a hallway.

There is actually a coat closet in the entry way area, I just failed to add it to my sketch.

There are just 2 of us in the home and we both enjoy cooking together. We also (like many others) love to entertain and have friends over and would love to have a nice open space with plenty of casual seating in the kitchen and opened up to the living room. We thought having seating in both the islands would be great.

Once again I greatly appreciate all your help and I am very thankful that your taking the time to help out!! I look forward to expanding my idea book as suggested.

Thanks again, Mark
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 6:21PM
PRO
Eagledzines
We're on our way here. Could you double check that 10'6" measurement? You show 8' in wall space with 2 doorways. That would leave only 2' for both doorways. Thanks and your welcome.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 6:42PM
mjkappraisal
Sorry, I have attached a more detailed sketch, I tried to make it as close to scale as possible, but it's not exact. the overall dimension is 10'6", however there is essentially unusable space for entry to another bedroom which is laid out in better detail on the new sketch. Thanks again!
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 3:10AM
PRO
Eagledzines
Your sketch didn't come through.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 7:14AM
mjkappraisal
Ok, I think it went through this time. Thanks!
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 8:00AM
PRO
Eagledzines
Oops didn't come through still. The front of the house adds up to 26' assuming the front door is 36". If the living room is 12' and the wall between is is 4 1/2" that would leave 9 1/2'. So if we take the wall out that would leave 10' 7 1/2". However, it would be helpful to see what's going on, on the north side better and what is on the other side of those doors?
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 11:18AM
mjkappraisal
Sorry, It's not letting me post it here in our conversation, but I believe it is viewable in my profile comments section. There is a bedroom north of the living room area and a family room north of the dinette. These rooms were an addition added by the previous owners about 5 years ago. This adds to the weird layout and explains why there are no windows in this space. I believe since they were the previous outside walls they cannot be removed. Hope this helps. Thanks again!!
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 12:12PM
PRO
Shuler Architecture
Hi There,

I just started glancing through this conversation and thought I'd chime in. It looks like there are some doorways to other space in your house - specifically the door heading left out of the kitchen. It also look like there are windows at the top pf the kitchen plan looking onto a yard. Can you verify?

The hardest part about this plan is the awkward utility room in the corner of the dining space. This is a bit of a beast to work around!
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 12:32PM
mjkappraisal
I have attached a whole house sketch in my feed. There are no windows at all in the kitchen area. Yes the laundry is very difficult to deal with. I suggesting closing it off to the kitchen and having access from the dining, which is still odd. The fiance shot that idea down, but best i could come up with. Thanks for joining in!!
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 1:48PM
PRO
Eagledzines
Hi Mark,

I'd like to suggest this as a preliminary plan to kick things off. At this point it is not scaled but dimensions are taken into consideration. There are probably many different feasible possibilities. But this may help you work through what you like and don't like.

This would give your fiancée a 6x6 +/- closet and POSSIBLY a place to put the wine bar in the dining room. It eliminates one of the doors on the north wall, to give you a longer cabinet run to work with, It would keep the doors in the hallway hidden from the living area, open up the living area by removing the walls between the living room and the dinette and the kitchen, turn the laundry into the hallway and get it out of the kitchen, gives you a more central door to the bedrooms, bathroom and laundry while still hiding the doors in the hallway from the main living area.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 3:57PM
PRO
Shuler Architecture
Hi mjkappraisal & eagledzines:

I saw your sketches and comments. I'll take a look later this week. I'm in an all-day seminar tomorrow and then have a business networking event tomorrow evening. I'll be in touch Thursday or Friday.

Cheers,

Mark
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 10:50PM
PRO
Eagledzines
@Shuler Architecture--Impressive profile
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 4:21AM
mjkappraisal
I have updated the sketch, yet again. I did not factor in the steps to the basement, which run off the laundry room and along the bedroom. I am very sorry for this error as I know you have spent time factoring this space, which is not usable. We do like the idea of moving the access of the laundry room, however the fiance still would like it to remain a laundry room and not just a closet. Oh and still would like the bedroom closet as well. Haha, now you see what I deal with. Thanks again!
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 4:41AM
mjkappraisal
@Shuler Architecture- Thanks for the update, look forward to all the help I can get!
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 4:42AM
mjkappraisal
Oh, forgot to mention the stairwell id 3ft wide. Thanks!
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 4:44AM
PRO
Eagledzines
Oh yes, an important feature. Could you try that again? It didn't upload here or in your profile.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 5:13AM
PRO
Eagledzines
Okay, I see it in your profile. Yes, that is a significant detail. ;-)
I'm a little confused about the access to the laundry area. Not a closet like drawn but do you want the room to remain where it is and just the access to it?
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:59PM
mjkappraisal
We don't necessarily care where the access is, but we like that it acts like a mudroom off the garage, the wash tub and that there is space to hang garments. So If we can still keep a small mud room like area we can relocate it or change access. Hope that clears things up. Thanks again!!!
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 1:14PM
PRO
Eagledzines
I think this is where we are right now? with the exception that there has to be a door into the hallway.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 2:08PM
mjkappraisal
I agree, this appears to be the best layout so far and we like the idea of expanding things and with this layout would likely have to keep the entrance to the hallway in about the same place it is now. Where would you recommend placing appliance, which would all be new and modern sized?
0 Likes   March 2, 2013 at 5:53PM
PRO
Eagledzines
Here some ideas to take to an architect. They should not be construed in any way to take the place of the work of an architect. They are just ideas for consideration between you and the architect, who may or may not use part or none or all of these ideas. He/she will take structural considerations of the house into account along with the style of the house, materials already in use, and a host of other things into account that are beyond the scope of this forum and my expertise.

I was hoping that Shuler Architecture would rejoin the conversation. But if he doesn't or if another architect doesn't chime in here. You could go to the black bar at the top of the page and click "Find Local Pros" to find one in your area. You could also repost the question by starting your question with "Archtects....."

At this stage of the game, it is premature to get into the details of the kitchen. Once the final design and kitchen measurements are nailed down, I could give you advice on appliance placement and actual kitchen cabinet layout. As a kitchen designer I used to get pans from architects who drew a kitchen 'placeholder' in the kitchen area and the kitchen designer would take it from there. Some architects really get into it and do a nice job though.

The blue boxes are skylights and I would hope they could be mirrored on the opposite side of the room. I did this in Windows Paint, so was not able to layer the drawing to show them on top of the other things. An interior designer could help here too with furnishings.

Best wishes.
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 6:44AM
mjkappraisal
just so I'm clear what does the yellow represent? Thanks again for all your help, it is much appreciated!
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 7:40AM
PRO
Eagledzines
Couch and couch table. Your welcome. I'd love to revisit the kitchen issue when you get there!
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 8:33AM
PRO
Shuler Architecture
Hi mjkappraisal and eagledesigns - I'm back again. Sorry that I haven't gotten back before now but it's been a busy week. I'm going to look through your threads this afternoon to get up to speed. Feel free to ping me.
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 2:55PM
PRO
Shuler Architecture
Is it possible for either of you to email me a copy of the plan? mark@shulerarchitecture.com. Also, it seems that access from the garage into he house is through the laundry room? It also looks like a stair to presumably some basement is through this same laundry room? Busy area!
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 3:06PM
PRO
Shuler Architecture
Out of curiosity, are the family room and bedroom at the rear of the plan original to the house or are these a later addition?
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 3:08PM
mjkappraisal
Yes, there are steps to the basement and access from the garage into the house through the laundry room. This is a busy and akward space. Also the family room and the bedroom at the rear are indeed an addition. the home was built in 1997 and the addition was added in 2005 by the previous owners. Thanks!!
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 3:18PM