Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my living room
ladyinred2013
February 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I think my living room looks very boring since it is too beige , I have no decorating idea either,my curtain are sheer white ,walls are egg shell color and sofas are beige too
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judianna20
Could we have another picture? Is that a fireplace?
2 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 12:14PM
Shay
Lower wall art to eye level, updated rug to match art or pillows, maybe a chunky,long mirror behind loveseat. Add an accent wall for color. Your room looks nice though.
2 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 12:16PM
PRO
Lauren Gray Kitchen Designs
You have some great starts! Love those fun pillows and elegant lamps. I'd recommend changing out the rug to a larger more impactful one. See if you can find something with a splash of that fun pink from the pillows. Then pull another color out of the area rug for the walls. Add some additional bright pillows for extra touches of color. You could also consider painting the coffee and or end tables a darker brown or black to give some depth to the room. Or if you prefer a wood stain, re-stain them a dark walnut. Keep the drama going on the wall above the love seat with a great art piece in a glamorous frame to echo those lamps.
2 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 12:20PM
PRO
Welcome Home designs
Yes- I would also like to see more of the room.
The love seat in front of the stairs needs to be moved if possible
5 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 12:29PM
ladyinred2013
There is no fireplace in my living room.let me put up another picture
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 12:31PM
Nancy Hehmann
It is difficult to tell what color your cushions are; but perhaps you should take your cue from them. If they are pink a word of caution if there are men in your life b/c they usu. do not like pink in a living space. If the color is red, most people do like red. Just click on the link below to see some rooms that color has been added to. You may just want colorful drapes; but some of these rooms have added bright color on an accent wall as well. If your color is red you could also add a red vase or dish on your coffee table. http://www.houzz.com/red-and-beige-drapes

Art or photography is another way to add color to your room and I just happen to have an photography shop on Etsy.com which is nancyhehmann or click on the name beside my picture and it will take you to a sample of photography I have.

Have fun! I see brightness in your future!
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 12:31PM
prissy13
I like the simplicity in your room. I would try moving your loveseat from the stair wall to the opposite side, to block off what looks like your dining area. (making an "L" shape with the two pieces. Then put a narrow console table with a long mirror or grouping of smaller mirrors on that stair wall above it to add the look of size to the room. Either remove the rug underneath your coffee table or put a larger one. I would also mover your coffee table closer to your long sofa. It seems like it's in the middle of the room which blocks flow and is hard to actually put a drink on. If you bring it closer to the sofa and move your loveseat, it will create an intimate grouping area. Then you could put a small end table with lamp next to your armchair on the other wall. Thus creating smaller spaces within your larger space. Sometimes moving around your furniture placement is a great way to create a whole new look. good luck :)
4 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 12:43PM
prissy13
Oh, and maybe try angling your arm chair in that corner so its not flat against the wall.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 12:44PM
lefty47
HI -- Well you have a start and I do see some color in your pillows , do you have a favorite color ? Maybe look at some photos on this site and find a livingroom that has things and colors you like and use that as a guide . I will point out a few things for you. The love seat should go out it's crowding the stairs and, iit's all to matchy -matchy, and I find love seats are just a decorating burden . Your furniture is also too big for the space , the coffee table is too small and too matchy with the side tables and you don't need the little area rug under the coffee table . Your lamps are too small and more suited to a bedroom and all the decor on the walls is hung too high . If you are planning on getting new furniture , don't buy sets , just get a more contemporary style sofa that has a square arm style and then two lounge chairs that have a similar style and keep the major big furniture pieces in neutral colors . Your room is not that big , so big round puffy rolled arms are too much. For the drapes , the white sheers are fine you just need to add a couple of drape panels on each side from a wood or iron rod . Just don't buy tab top style , just pinch pleat or grommet tops . The drapes should just clear the floor . I hope this helps ?
2 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 12:57PM
ladyinred2013
these are some new pictures
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 12:57PM
ladyinred2013
entrance
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 12:58PM
ladyinred2013
wonderful help I am getting, my pillows are red, I think I go with red for adding accent and my furniture are new,my husband bought them before ,so I had no role in it, it is hard to change them ,and he loves this set, I can't get him to get rid of a piece, and that is true the furniture here are too big for the space I have
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 1:05PM
movethisnotthat
Is the rest of your space/house bright colors or neutrals ? If you do not have some "furniture movers" those little things to place under the legs of your furniture to make them easy to move...please go get some !! You'll be glad you did.
Is arrangement is not working well, the love seat infront of the stairs needs to be moved for sure. Those end tables are much too small they need to be the same height as the arms of the couches (I assume you are keeping them) Taller end tables will "lift" the lamps too :). Remove all the wall pieces until you have better furniture layout, then add in the pieces you love. They should all be hung lower about eyelevel (unless you are really tall). A big bright rug, and a couple of throws that pull from the same color in the rug or those pillows if you plan to keep them. Rugs should not "float" in the room and are meant to ground the space so make sure it is a big rug. With just a few changes I think you'll see a new room all for very little $$. PS there is nothing wrong with monochromatic color scheme, it can be very elegant with glass...you have a good start on that.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 1:18PM
ladyinred2013
pictures from the next room
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 1:37PM
rinqreation
I'd try to find a big raspberry rug. I kinda like how your cushions fit in. :)
You do have a good set of furniture to start from.

I work at a diy-store with lots of home deco and when clients ask me what to do, my advice mostly is to get some panels (like plywood) and paint/paper them and hang them in their room. If they love it, they can always paint/paper the entire wall and if they don't, they can change the panels every once in a while.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 1:42PM
rinqreation
Oh, it's red, ha! Okay..hmm.. Than forget my first words.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 1:44PM
PRO
Welcome Home designs
I'm not usually a fan of putting area rugs on top of carpeting but I think in your case an area rug is necessary to break up the "beige ness" of the carpeting and furniture. (Larger however)
I would try and bring in bold colours like you started with the cushions.
I agree that your coffee table is too small. It could be a darker colour ( like your dining room table). Or make it something totally unique.
See if you can move the loveseat and make that wall a bit of a focal point because that is what you see from your dining room. Add colourful art on that wall.
The attached photo is great for inspiration when it comes to bold colours.

Good luck!
2 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 1:46PM
ladyinred2013
we are planning to have hard wood floor
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 1:54PM
prissy13
It looks like you have two family rooms? If I may ask, why are you not making one of those rooms your formal dining room so you can pull your table out of your kitchen? I do really like the leather furniture you have in that other room.If you're not going with a formal dining room, why not swap the furniture of the two rooms. Bring your large leather sofa and chair into your living room. This way you wouldn't have to worry about the loveseat.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 2:10PM
movethisnotthat
So, you are keeping the pillows and sticking with red accents ?? Easy to do! With the right red you can paint an accent wall , art with red in it, a red rug, red flowers, red ottoman, more pillows to mix and match what you have. The other room pictures you posted is that on a different floor? You could always move the pieces of furniture between both rooms especially if it fits better, like swap out the couch for the other couch or swap out a chair. Are you redoing the room too ??
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 2:56PM
ladyinred2013
prissy13, yes actually we have two family rooms and the other one with leather furniture is the TV room ,dinning room is a good idea actually thanks

movethisnotthat, the both rooms are on the same floor,the stair to upstairs divided them and I hopefully go for more red thanks
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 3:41PM
movethisnotthat
have you moved anything yet? playing around with what you have is 1/2 the fun.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 2:36PM
ladyinred2013
we decided to switch the love seat with the other small chair, and I am planning to get a cabinet to put in front of the stairways, it will look much better , other issue I have is the walls I have no idea what wall arts to put on the wall,the wall are big!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:03PM
movethisnotthat
what things do you have a passion for? art.com has many choices to look through, wildlife, floral, city scapes, country views, Do you have favorite vacation pictures? they look great on canvas in black and white. Canvas frames can be purchased in large sizes, if that is a look you like. There is also mirrors like you already have.......just more of them to create a feature wall.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 8:34AM
kag123
The current combination of beige and bright red seems a bit harsh (to me). But I live in New York state and I could see it more on the west coast where maybe you live? You could paint one wall an accent color; maybe a sage green accent wall and darker blue/green pillows. Or you could go beige, dark, rich brown and indigo with lots of textures, maybe a big textile hanging on a wall. The rug is definitely too small, and the artwork needs to be bolder and lower on the walls. How do you like the chair now in place of the loveseat? For now, you could use some large old single color hardback books stacked on the end tables to raise the lamps up higher. Or find a taller black chest to substitute for one of the end tables; one piece of black furniture often looks nice in a room. I love the lamps (and the white bowl) but over time bigger lamps would be nice and those would be great in a bedroom or side by side on a console table. I also really like the pillows in the other room on the leather couch; would these be good in the main room? Look for odd pieces of furniture and art at garage and church sales, Habitat ReStore stores, used stores, grandparents with basements full of old stuff, or even the curb! Older stuff is often so much better made and gives you a more eclectic look. I can hardly stand to buy new because the quality I want isn't there unless you can really spend alot, and I have had great luck with reupholstering used $5 or $50 chairs with end bolts of fabric on sale. Good luck!
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 8:24PM
ladyinred2013
thanks kag123 , I have so many ideas now and did some work today, we live in minnesota, I moved the love sit and would put a console there ,I am going to remove the leather furniture and make that room a dinning room, gonna be fun :)
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 9:21PM
ladyinred2013
now I moved my loveseat and the single chair, do you think I should put a console or a buffet in front of the stair way??do you think an accent chair in good in the place of those 2 chairs?
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:59PM
prissy13
I would put a narrow console table with a mirror or group of mirrors above it. It will make the space appear larger. The flow looks much better coming down the stairs. Can you take a pic form the other way so we can make sure your new arrangement isnt blocking your kitchen?
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 4:47PM
prissy13
I don't think you need any chairs in that corner nook. There is plenty of seating. Do you have a favorite dresser or table that could go there? Then you could put one of those pretty lamps on it with some family photos in coordinating frames. I would still get some taller lamps to flank the sofa as well. Just my suggestion :)
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 5:01PM
prissy13
ooh. Just spotted it! Grab that desk you are using in your tv room and put that in you nook area instead of chairs.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 5:05PM
ovalle
I would advice add some color to your wall and a larger mirror , you cold have a throw in ivory and move the small rug from bellow your table ,it makes your table look smaller and all your decorations should be hanged a little lower. I think you have a nice space ,all ot needs is more color.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 5:11PM
ladyinred2013
thanks alot prissy13 and ovalle, I will put up more pictures soon, I was just wondering is red curtains is harsh for these two rooms? I got these red wine velvet curtains, I just thought I can add more color to the rooms.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 5:47PM
ladyinred2013
should I get rid of those end tables that lamps are on them? I want to get buffet lamps and put them on the console that I get to put infront of the stairs. the other thing is that the pieces I have in the other room are a part of our TV console so we want to move them all to the basement,should I get a new cabinet then for the corner nook?
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 5:50PM
prissy13
I personally wouldn't go with red velvet curtains. I think they will overpower the room and make it feel dark and closed in, which will make it look smaller. I have had red before, and hated them after a while. I would stick with red accessories and pair the red with white or off white accents to keep it light. How about red in the artwork-Like picture frames in red distressed wood? Red vases, lamp shades with a white base, etc. Or in your furniture accent pieces like the hutch? Check out these pics.

Asian Bedroom design
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 6:21PM
prissy13
opps. Sorry about the pics. Will try to send them again. What about a red wood buffet or hutch in that corner? And yes, I would go with different end tables. Maybe more narrow. And would put taller white base lamps, with maybe red shades. And add some white pillows or red and white patterned pillows to your sofa. I like the ones you have, but they look pinkish against your sofas. I also really like those two mirrors you have . What about moving those to go above the red hutch in that nook area?
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 6:30PM
ladyinred2013
thanks prissy13 I will look for red hutch , do you think I should change my curtains or white is fine? somebosy here suggested coffee brown
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 8:09PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
I think the lamps are all wrong. To modern for the sofas. I would go with some ceramic larger lamps. I would lower all your art work to eye level when sitting down. The art should be bigger and the coffee table is way to small maybe add a larger glass top to it or replace. The rug is to small too.. The rug should go under the edge of the furniture. Now that you have moved the love seat the room already looks better You could use a sofa table where the L/seat was with a large mirror or art work for a focal point in the room. Add a large tree live or silk in the corner by the window. Re-post some pics then I could help you with the rest. Retired Decorator, Kevin
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 8:29PM
prissy13
hmm. I like the white, especially if you are going to go with white and red accessories. I think with your furniture and coffee table there is already enough brown in the room. Target has this really cute red hutch. http://img1.targetimg1.com/wcsstore/TargetSAS//img/p/14/42/14429892_130108143000.jpg
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 8:58PM
prissy13
check out this room too. This could be an option if you wanted red in your curtains. But, if you think you may change your color scheme again soon, its better to play it safe with neutrals for curtains. This way if you do go away from red, its not that expensive to change. http://media-cache-lt0.pinterest.com/550x/7d/93/13/7d931383af4661b206e783ea6945c1f8.jpg

I like this for that nook area you have too. It has a cute red hutch, and a wood picture frame. And keep in mind you dont always have to have photos in the frames. They can be left open just used as decor. http://media-cache-ec7.pinterest.com/192x/9d/32/d4/9d32d4bdf59ec8b15b033ee0fb3a15cb.jpg

and maybe something like this for your end tables. And make sure your end tables are just below the top arm if the sofa. Your current ones are a bit low for your sofas. http://media-cache-ec4.pinterest.com/192x/04/0f/55/040f558f21d9afc7618374863779faa3.jpg

Can't wait to see pics when you make more changes:)
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 9:25PM
lynmyles
I have had white floor tiles 250x250 in 4 large rooms. Lounge,dining room,kitchen and family room . These floors have to be replaced. Can you suggest what size tiles I should use as the house is Victorian and furnished in a traditional style I would like white again,the lounge has a black marble fireplace and the dining room has one wall with french doors. as does the kitchen and family room. Hope you can help. Lyn
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:39PM
cyn222
Paint it a muted shade of your favorite color and choose a color to work with it.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:49PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
lynmiles I think you would want to start your own post with pics to get response. Each post is for individual questions. Sorry
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 10:13PM
ladyinred2013
What color of dinning chair would go with my walls except blue.I want to get a black dinning table with dinning chairs that has fabric?
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 11:41AM
ladyinred2013
I am scared of buying a piece o red furniture,do u think it is what is considered as accent? what do u think of this?http://www.pier1.com/Mei-Media-Stand---Red/2300177,default,pd.html
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:49AM
movethisnotthat
hundreds of fabric choices for dining room chairs. and as many examples here on houzz to see them, white/ivory are used a lot for chairs. Your idea of red as an accent would be lovely,and in an inexpected place would make it really fun !
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 8:03AM
PRO
Deb's Artistry
check out my site at debsartistry.com for some ideas which I've used in clients homes over the years .. and best wishes
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 8:22AM
jg
firstly the huge jumbo furniture does the rooms no favours-it's old fashioned and bulky ,blotting out the shape of the room.Lose all square cushions-if you MUST, have only a couple of arm bolsters at ends of sofa.lighting needs to be varied, try a large anglepoise lamp standard in corner between sofa and chair, giving height to light and directing it downwards onto coffee table.Introduce colour by smsall pops of maybe a mustard yellow roller blind next to window with the voiles set outside the window reveal,giving the impression of a larger window recess adding interest to light source. get rid of any frills or tassles-they're so ageing to a decor, looking like granny tassles is not good,neither are ruched soft furnishings or shades on lamps, all these big frilly items serve to reduce the overall area available in the room by filling it full of fluff! Keep things simple with clean lines and the only colour added by accessories,less is more!
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 8:42AM
ladyinred2013
here is a link of the sideboard I got for my dinning room, do you have any ideas for the buffet lamp? I like lamps from kirklands.com but not sure which one to pick http://www.homfurniture.com/Online/Home/Store/Product_708326_
0 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
Need paint color help
I have purchased an apartment in Greenwich Village...
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
How do I pick a comfortable tub?
Are tubs rated for their comfort?
Ideas for updating this 70's house?
Kitchen is newly re-done, cherry cabinets, granite...
What kind of sofa should I pair with this one?
I have this limited edition distressed leather chesterfield...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.