Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ideas?
Marcie Forsythe
February 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Bidding on is house starts tomorrow, my planning starts now! Would like to keep most everything, would like to paint, possibly change of hardware, wall paper will come down, not much natural light, keep flooring, not sure about the range hood. Looking forward to the house buying process 1st!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
The range hood is the best part. Maybe minus the pot rack in an opposing style. Yes to everything else, assuming budget is an issue. And unless you're going for kitch in the kitchen, I'd lose the curvacious valance board. Super nice lot from the tiny images below; congrats on your new home!
February 9, 2013 at 7:11PM   
heidis123
This looks like an exciting project! I think the cabinets on the far end look too heavy. It sounds like you want to keep most of the structure & just do some painting & adjustments so I would consider removing those heavy looking cabinets & replacing with shelves. Or maybe replace one or more of those cabinet doors w/ glass to lighten up that end? And I concur with the above comment- the range hood is fine :)
February 9, 2013 at 7:26PM     
jjandhk
I agree with the last 2 posters....here's a couple ideas from google images:
February 9, 2013 at 7:45PM     
Lkristine
Just to give you a visual, here is a pic with the wallpaper gone. You could do any color you love on the walls! I would also either cut out the scalloped wood or make it straight edged, update the faucet and light and you will be so far ahead for not that much money!!!!!! (and sorry this editing made your appliances appear not so white.)
February 9, 2013 at 7:51PM     
carolannr
How about just losing the doors on those upper cabinets, the curvy valance and the pot rack? I would paint the hinges on the doors and drawer pulls to match the cabinets until you decide on new ones - but, I'm not fond of the strap hinge look. With the upper cabinet doors off, you can add more color to the kitchen after you take the wallpaper down by painting the inside of that upper cabinet in an accent color. Changing out that lite fixture would give you lots more light in there too
February 9, 2013 at 7:57PM     
PRO
Imperial Kitchens and Baths, Inc.
Changing the hinges to concealed cup-hinges on those doors will not be easy as they require a plunge cut. If you do not see a reface in your future, embrace the retro look. This is your chance to be funky. Paint your cabinets an outrageous teal or apple green. Take the hardware outside and spray with a metal paint, maybe nickel. If the counter is in bad shape, replace it - our favorite work-horse is Corian (esp. since 90% of the time it can be reworked to accommodate a different layout). Get a better ceiling fixture and run some LED under cabinet task lighting. White subway tile always adds class to a backsplash. And unless you do some really greasy cooking, replace the stainless sheet behind the stove with tile. (If you do opt to keep the sheet, check the wiring in the outlet and be sure it is GFCI rated, the last thing you want is for it to become conductive.) Have fun!
February 9, 2013 at 8:44PM   
Marcie Forsythe
Such great feedback, it's my 1st time using this site, and it's amazing to get all your ideas, thank you so much!
February 10, 2013 at 6:13AM