Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Paint Ideas Please
kennadysmama
February 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello,
I am looking for an idea to paint my formal living room/ dining room combo in my house. Attached is two pictures of my space. The third picture is a picture of the other colours in my house. The green is my family room and we will be choosing one of the other two neutrals shown for my kitchen. Do anyone have any suggestions of a colour for my living/dining combo room? Thanks in advance for your ideas! :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
I like the contemporary furniture you have, instead of painting the walls in brown tones, consider going towards a gray color family.

3 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 5:10PM
kennadysmama
I am so glad you said grey. That is what I was thinking. Originally I was thinking a slate grey (I love bold colour) but I was afraid it would be too consuming. I love this one picture I found but no one is sure of the paint colour. I thought something like this colour may look good in my space. What do you think?
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 5:26PM
putter2
I'd paint the living room white/off-white, along with the trim around the arched window, and change the lamp shades to a color...red or deep orange. They'll pop, and give a splash of color to the room. I'd add a fun rug in the seating area.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 5:31PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend either Silhouettes or Shutters depening on the look your going for .They would both look great in the space.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/hunter-douglas/silhouette-toronto.html
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 5:36PM
7lexi7
You may want to start with a rug and take it from there.
That said I also thought "grey". Check out BM Revere Pewter. You will probably want to paint all the trim around the window. I think the Grey will be nice and "fresh" with your light colored furniture and light lamp shades as well as with your darker furniture, and it will work with your floor. You can easily add color using fabric, pillows, and a rug.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 5:57PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
What direction does your rooms face? North light is cooler and South warmer, if going grey would need to know this first or could create too cool of a room.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 6:01PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Also what accent colours would you like to add for cushions and things, as choosing the paint with the correct undertone will make these colours pop too.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 6:04PM
kennadysmama
Our Room is South Facing. :)
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 6:05PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Ok good, so that is a warmer light, if you do a warm based grey it could go beige, so a grey with blue base would look better. Here is where your accent colours come in, to make those colours pop you need an undertone that is opposite. Do you have a colour you would like to introduce as accent?
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 6:13PM
PRO
Welcome Home designs
Do you have a photo of your kitchen?
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 6:19PM
greenthumb2
you may want to grab a grey from your external environment. tree bark grey. cool if you want the room cooler, warm if you want a warmer feel. also, determine which of the grey's responds well to natural and lamp light, as well as how your paint and light reflects your taste in art objects. enjoy!
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 6:26PM
kennadysmama
I would like to use the green that is going to be my family room as an accent colour so it helps make everything cohesive :)
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 6:28PM
kennadysmama
I guess I should say, I would like this to the accent colour...but I am open for ideas!
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 6:28PM
kennadysmama
My husband likes these. :)
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 6:30PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
What is colour name? It is not showing well for me.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 6:31PM
kennadysmama
"Deserted Island" by Behr UL190-2
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 6:36PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Hmm, I find it a bit muddy. Could you post a picture of the family room.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 6:44PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
I like your cushion choices, they would work very nicely in your living room. Not just for colour but the print is very appropriate.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 6:46PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Without seeing the family room, I would suggest a green that is a bit fresher looking, especially in combination with grey.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 6:48PM
kennadysmama
Here is my family room. Please excuse the paint swatch taped to the wall, my dog bed which does not belong there and my daughters princess chair...also does not belong! lol But this gives you an idea.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 7:04PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
That's what puts the family in family room! Can you take a close up of the tile around fireplace? Thanks!
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 7:09PM
PRO
Edits! Interior Styling
kennadysmama, I really like what you have going on. I love the grey in your photo. It would be super sophisticated with shimmery silver linen pillows or more casual and just as great with the pillows your husband likes but those read a little more casual to me. I agree that a more vibrant green would be better for the family room. Think mint, sea foam or green apple. It would work well with the leather sofas too. Maybe add the grey and green pillows there.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 7:24PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
I like Coventry Grey by BM for your living area, and perhaps Sabre Gray for the family room. The Sabre has a green undertone that would work with the woods and the leather. Coventry has a cooler undertone which would work very well in that Southern exposure. Whatever you do though, get some small testers and paint a 12x12 card and tape to walls and view at different times of day to see how you feel about it. If you like the colours you may want to go up or done one as well and try them too.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 7:33PM
kennadysmama
Thanks for all the help! :) This is the close up of the fireplace. Also @Edits! Interior Inspirations- which grey are you speaking of in the photo? There are a few and I just want to make sure I am looking at the right one.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 7:39PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Those tiles have some browns and what is the other colour? Is it a dark grey? I also see a creamy white?
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 7:46PM
kennadysmama
There are different shades of brown and cream glass tile and there is also slate tiles- so many have a blue or grey colour to them but there are also some rust coloured pieces as well.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 7:48PM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
The green paint you chose for the family room is almost a warm gray so if you prefer that direction then go for a gray green. You just need contrast for the white furniture in the living room and the walls need to have a haromoious flow from room to room. Choose any accent color you like for pillows and fincd a large scale painting in colors you like for the windowless wall opposite the entry in the room. Back to the family room. It is hard to see in the photos what the fireplace tile surround is. It looks like gray and white speckles. If that is true then you need to rethink the green color pallette and go with a warm gray color. I would also consider painting the fireplace off white or gray. Better yet have a more contemporary surround built. The natural colored wood and traditional stying does nothing to carry the contemporay direction of the living room into the family room. I agree that plantaion shutters on the window would look great. We do not see the dining room in any of your photos other than the chandelier which I recommend you change out to a more contemporary fixture as simple as a drum shade and hanging lower over the table (the bottom of the fixture 36" off the top of the table).
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 7:53PM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
PS - change out those 6" recessed cans in the living room ceiling to 4". An area rug would anchor the seating area in the living room and give you another opportunity to add color.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 7:54PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Kennadaysmama, did you want other advice besides paint colour direction? Please let us know what other areas you would like help with.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 8:06PM
PRO
Edits! Interior Styling
kennadysmama, I was speaking of the kitchen with the grey walls and tile. I also like coventry grey that Susan Mills suggested, it is lighter than the kitchen grey. People have lots of different words to describe paint colors and it gets confusing if you are new to this. I think a good rule of thumb is to match tones in wall colors so you wouldn't use the warm green you started with in a room next to a cool grey generally speaking. So if you love that green, it would be a great match with coventry grey if you like the idea of a cool grey then a cool green like a green apple would be a better choice. I was thinking cool because I thought it would be great with your living room furniture. Hope that helps.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 9:02PM
kennadysmama
OK great Thanks!
@ Edits! - Thanks for clarifying :) That makes sense to me. I am very new to this so even the idea of warm and cool colours is a new concept for me. So thanks very much.
@ Susan Mills Design- I am open to any suggestions. I know my house needs some direction. The only thing we cant do is paint any of the oak (trim/floors/etc.). My husband adores it, I don't mind it -and we have decided it is going to stay. I know it isn't the most contemporary, but its what we have decided to work with! :) Also thank you for all of your ideas so far. I really appreciate it!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 4:26AM
kennadysmama
As for the other colours in the house- I am lucky in the fact we are painting everything. So I really do not have any other wall colours I have to 'work with'. As for the neutral we were going to pick for the hallways, and up the stairs to our second floor- we were thinking either 'vast desert' or 'nile sand' both by Behr. I have attached a photo of both! They are also the two on either side of the green. :) We currently have a light tan with yellow and almost pinky undertones...and I hate it, so I wanted to go a different direction with that.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 4:47AM
kennadysmama
Also- I guess I should mention the other colour we were thinking of for the dining room/ living room combo was "Slate" by restoration hardware - but by the feedback giving so far, I am going to assume that may be too dark? Attached is just some photos of the paint- but as you know- its so hard to know what it would look like in your space with your lighting.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 4:58AM
danstef2012
We have had both darker grey and lighter in our living room, and preferred a slightly lighter shade such as this one. Benjamin Moore Stingray

Woodinville Retreat 1
Woodinville Retreat 2
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 5:16AM