Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Powder Room Floor
Bianco Design & Build Corp.
February 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are doing a powder room remodel and the owner is not sure wether she wants hardwood or tiles. What do you think?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Judy M
One vote for wood.
February 9, 2013 at 4:41PM     
cjohnston
If it's possible in this project, I recommend having the same flooring in the powder room as outside the room. It gives a seamless look - no need for a threshold.
February 9, 2013 at 4:43PM     
PRO
Bianco Design & Build Corp.
I agree! Wooden floor looks better. Thanks!
February 9, 2013 at 4:59PM   
Jayme H.
The wood looks better...but good point from cjohnston.....Ie: if the ajoining hallway or rooms have a dark hardwood, I would not do a light hardwood. Not to complicate matters....Additionally, many people seem to like darker hardwood floor lately...I have seen many darker than your samples.
February 9, 2013 at 5:02PM     
twylahaj
Wood is always my favorite flooring in "dry" rooms but can be a problem in "wet" rooms like kitchens and baths. If you go with the wood (which definitely looks wonderful) consider using a marine grade polyurethane rather than the traditional floor grade. Also, make sure to wipe up any water as soon as possible to avoid damaging the wood. Because it's much more to deal with, I tend to shy away from wood floors in bathrooms, but would love to have them for looks.
February 9, 2013 at 5:17PM     
7lexi7
I'm afraid I'd have to see more of the bathroom. Countertops? Mirror?
February 9, 2013 at 5:41PM     
ruthmand
Sorry, but water & wood do not mix. They have so many beautiful porcelain tiles available now you really should take a look at them. Even if it is a small powder room get large tile like 12x24, 18x18 or 20x20. A travertine or slate looking porcelain tile, depending on if you want to go light or dark, would make that room look fabulous, not to speak of easy to clean and water resistant. Since it is small room you can splurge a bit on the tile - you wont regret it!
February 9, 2013 at 5:53PM     
cjohnston
I just want to add that I used pre-finished hardwood with the standard factory seal in my powder room. It has held up extremely well. In fact, it has held up better than the tile in our full baths, in which the grout has stained and cracked. Generally, water use in powder rooms is limited. Small splashes and spills don't hurt the wood floor. If there is a catastrophic water event in the powder room, it is most likely going to damage the floor outside the powder room. If a homeowner is willing to install hardwood outside the powder room, in my opinion, there is really no greater risk to use it in the powder room.
February 9, 2013 at 6:12PM     
yfuoco
I love the wood...especially with the wainscotting.
February 9, 2013 at 6:21PM     
PRO
Dytecture
Wood.

February 9, 2013 at 6:38PM     
More Discussions
Help!! Curtain design challenge!
Hello all, I desperately need help with the windows...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
Need advice on kitchen colors
I'm not loving the colors in my kitchen. Any suggestions?...
help with contemporary update to this traditional exterior
traditional exterior home renovation with contemporary...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.