Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What to do with our Cathedral Ceiling?
Alani M
February 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are slowly working our way through different aspects of our main living / kitchen area.

Next up is the ceiling! What would you do with it?
We were interested in DIY but after one failed attempt to cover the rafters with white washed plywood we are wondering if this is a job for the professionals!

Husband is talking about having the roof gyprocked and be finished with it. I'm against this idea for a couple of reasons... The cost, $5k + is far more than I expected / wanted to spend on something that isn't really going to improve my life other than for aesthetic value. I'd much rather put that towards a bathroom renovation that would improve my life.
The other reason I am against it is that I feel we have a very interesting ceiling and it would be a shame to cover it up with gyprock and turn it into something that is in every other house.

I would like to make it a feature, but I don't know how!

The idea of painting the rafters and leaving it as is isn't an option as the white 'stuff' on the roof is very fibrous and drops stuff everywhere.

We also have the lights for the area... Big white rattan balls. Hubby wanted to install downlights in the ceiling but I found a picture when the lights were suspended on wire and I this could work well.

We live close to the beach and are going for a bit of a modern beach house theme... Lots of blues, big shell mirror, ocean pictures etc

We are not opposed to DIY either.. we just don't know if it is possible!

So what would you do with this ceiling?

Thanks in advance :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
girlfriend1
Paint the entire ceiling white, then paint the walls above the cabinets teal to match the color on the wall and maybe paint the brick wall a light gray.
2 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 4:58PM
nasmijati
I agree that painting the white "stuff" will help keep it from leaving crumbles.

I saw a ceiling like this in a church. They painted the "stuff" sky blue and left the rafters wood color. Their "stuff" had a matte finish (probably because the "stuff" soaked up the paint.)

I have also seen this kind of ceiling where the "stuff" was covered by tongue-in-groove boards, left natural.

I wonder if those bamboo window shades would fit between your rafters. You would have to buy a lot of them. It would certainly give the ceiling some beach "vibes." I wonder if the Habitat for Humanity ReStore might have some?

Check places that sell builder's overstock. You might be surprised what is available for a reasonable price.

Best wishes.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 6:36PM
Alani M
Thanks Guys

Painting it certainly would be the easier and cheaper option.

I like the idea of the boards between the rafters, I shall look into it.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:58PM
pruner
What went wrong with the plywood idea? Thinking it may be one of two problems - either getting up that high yourself or getting the ply up that high, or second option attaching the ply successfully. Do the cross beams off on the right hand side (brown also) sit on top of the down rafters? There's probably a solution to it... If you had the solution would you paint it creamish white anyway?

Re the gyprocking - was that quoted for covering the rafters, or fixing in between?
Re the actual surface you are working with - is it woven grassy 'stuff'?

Besides all that - a couple of vintage surfboards hung on the brick wall would give a a lot of impact and work into the beachy look.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 10:35PM
Darzy
I'd have the room professionally spray painted to "encase" the ceiling (an antique white). The "feature" in the ceiling is too busy in my taste to accentuate with the dark wood. So...all of the ceiling the white.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 10:53PM
PRO
Bellamira Design
Paint the ceiling "stuff" a nice off-white. Then, if possible, stain the rafters gray. To mimmick driftwood. I agree with the first comment to paint the rest of the walls in kitchen teal. Don't paint the brick. Clean it and hang LIFE size color -- as suggested vintage surf boards. Keep it as an accent, but soften it so that it blends -- doesn't scream!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 11:01PM
onthefence
Have you tried painting the 'stuff' at all? Is the 'stuff' really thick panels as pruner describes? Is there anything on the other side of the stuff between it and your roof?
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 12:39AM
Alani M
*quick update* we have decided to have the ceiling gyprocked. I ended up getting another quote that was more reasonable and we are having the exposed brick walls gyprocked while we are at it. No more brick! Gyprockers are coming at the end of the month so I will have some update photos then. Thanks for your help!
1 Like   April 21, 2013 at 5:13AM
More Discussions
Anyone has a Frigidaire stove or a Samsung fridge?
I just bought a Frigdaire Gallery range. It seems that...
suzanne_m
Need help with this master bedroom redecorating
We are so excited to get to redecorate. Does the picture...
markliman
I need help to add pilows, rug , art around sofa
we bought cement color sofa, need to make living room...
ludochka
My livingroom needs help! Bay windows opposite fireplace challence...
We bought a house with a big livingroom where we would...
krickelina
1950 bathroom
Should I change tub from aqua to white or tile from...
wedding831
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.