Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my odd shape entry way!
jlazzarini2000
February 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a off centered entry way that I'm having trouble furnishing. I've tried a console table (opposite the bench in the pic) and I just get the "runway effect." I think I might need a round table in the center? Any input would be appreciated.
PS None of the furniture in the pic is permanate. It just kind of "landed there..."
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andreadeegriffin
Maybe a large mirror on wall opposite bench then console table with lovely picture/painting or architectural salvage piece to reflect in the mirror and give sense of width to the space?
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 5:17PM
cypress
Move the console & mirror near the door and add an area rug, I don't think you need anything opposite it. Your bench could go where the console was.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 5:24PM
Manon Floreat
I like your idea of a round table. Especially centered below the light fixture. I think I would remove the bench and let the round table be the only piece in that area. You could put the bench where the console is, depending on what's practical for your household.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 5:25PM
andreadeegriffin
in place of the bench now there. I might even put a small upholstered bench or chair where blue piece is to add softness.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 5:28PM
Jayme H.
the 2 pieces of furniture are not working together. A rectangular area rug would look nice. I would possibly eliminate one or the other piece of furniture. What room in right beyond the wooden table?
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 5:30PM
cjohnston
A very lovely entry! If there's room for it, I do like your idea of a round table in the center. You might also define the space with a rectangular sisal, as big as will fit, like this photo. Then it looks like there might be enough room for either the bench or chest under the mirror, but where the bench is now seems to crowd the door.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 5:35PM
PRO
Welcome Home designs
To avoid the "runway" effect stay away from a long runner. Instead think of a square or round rug. Another alternative is to paint an inlay design such as in the attached photo.
I would put the blue console table and mirror where the bench Is now. I would add a more unique bench to go with the "eclectic" look of the table. It could go behind the door to balance the furniture layout.

1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 7:38PM
erinedmonton
A large round entryway rug at the door, the bench on the other side and a smaller round entryway table where the bench is now?
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 7:43PM
jlazzarini2000
Thank you all for your help! I agree with many of you... Bench crowds the door, pieces aren't working together... Sounds like I need a rug and possibly eliminate one or both of the pieces I currently have. To answer a question, the room through the French doors is an office. Room from where pic was taken is great room. Thank you all!
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 8:52PM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
A pair of long upholstered benches with exposed legs, one on each side of The French doors. ou could hang a grouping of framed prints above each bench.
Place a chest or console on the opposite side of the front door with a table lamp and mirror above it.
Then if there is enough room in the center a round hall table. A large scaled area rug that fills the space with about 12 inches on each side would warm up the space. Wallpaper , grass cloth or bold painted stripes that tie into the adjacent rooms would be very inviting and give the space a polished custom look.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 9:12PM