Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living room furniture help!
Jeff Whiteley
February 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a long living room that's about 22' long and 13' wide and I have no idea how to arrange the furniture. As you can see the TV is mounted in the center of the long was. I'd like to get a sectional but what else do ya'll recommend to full the room? The furniture you see now is going a new stuff coming in I just don't know what to buy because I unsure of how to arrange the furniture. Please help :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Edits! Interior Styling
Ikea has a sectional that would be a good proportion for your space. It has a chaise at one end that you could align with the end of the tv. Based on your needs and the rest of the layout, you can then use the rest of the length of the room for a desk/work area or dining area. I think you need a small scale chair in front of the window, a side table beside it and a small glass or lucite cocktail table. All said, I think the tv will still need to be lowered at the very least. The leather furniture looks large and the tv is still mounted way to high for comfortable viewing in that size space. A sisal rug that fills the living area would be a great base with a cool animal hide rug layered on top in front of the sofa (also available at IKEA.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 7:59PM
Manon Floreat
I think a sectional would work well, based on what I can see. You could consider something like Keats model from Room & Board below. There are a variety of fabric options for it. I think I'd do a left facing one and your armchair before the window as you have it. A coffee table and area rug would round off the furnishings.

Is there a pass-through from the kitchen into the living area? Perhaps a couple of stools would be a nice addition.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 8:12PM
PRO
LBDS
i definitely like the idea to have a reading chair or something near the window. wing back chairs are nice and you can make a nice reading area. the biggest dilemma i see is that all the furniture is on one side of the room wtih the tv on the other side. maybe you could make the side of the tv, the side where it is the focus point of the room. make it something that people want to look at and focus on, not just the tv of course, but the whole wall. maybe you have a collection of glassware or shot glasses you would like to show, or paintings and pictures. Maybe you like plants, among your collection or your bookcase or china cabinet, you can disperse 3 or 4 nice plants to add a little greenery to the room and liven it up, you could invest in a wallunit of some sort, or ask a friend who's good with tools to build you something interesting. You could situate this under the tv.
Then regardless of the type of seating arrangement, I believe the place will be more balanced and more interesting too...

Cheers!
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 8:21PM
Jeff Whiteley
Thanks for all the great feedback. When your mentioning a sectional are you talking about a wrap around? I really like the idea of the reading chair are there any sorts of chairs in particular? Below is a pic of the living from the other side of the room. I was thinking a wrap around with a chase beginning on the edge of the TV towards the front door and the wrap around heading the other way and the some sort of ready area on the other end. Thoughts? Once I got the TV I though it may be a little two high but not sure I'm gonna be lowering it anytime soon. As you can see the whole room is brown and I'll definitely be incorporating some color in the room. Thinking long vertical art on the side of TV and a horizontal above where you see the couch now or possibly one of those large rustic style clocks. I'm tying to attain sort of an outdoor yet modern look. Thought?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:08PM
Darzy
I like sectionals too, but in your space I think I'd opt for more flexibility and a little more interesting. How about a sofa, chaise and chair? This photo is not your style, but the arrangement I think would work in your narrow space.
Water Front in the Windy City
Niche Interiors: San Francisco Interior Design Services
Portfolio
2 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:20PM
Jeff Whiteley
Thanks for the great idea. I definitely like the third photo and that arrangement. My reasoning behind a sectional is due to the seating area. I entertain alot and want to have enough room for everyone :)
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:53PM
lessismoore
Sectional can be great (but, I've noticed, that even if you technically have space for X many people ... they often don't want to sit that close together). Unless you get one custom sized, you may always be working around something a just a bit too long or short. I echo Darzy's suggestion for getting modular pieces: chair, chaise, sofa or love seat combos. Plus you can reconfigure or redecorate with greater ease. It's one thing to change out a chair - quite another to change out an entire sectional. Also, you will have more options to blend color (most sectionals being one color) into your room.
3 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:05PM
Jeff Whiteley
Lessismoore thanks for the feedback and I think I agree with you here. What to think about a color contrast for the furniture that mixes with with the browns. I have that brown leather couch that I could leave. Any color recommendations for surrounding furniture?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:26PM
lessismoore
You appear to have a tile look floor in there as well. What about starting with an area rug that you love? It will further define your "living" room from your foyer space.
A brown leather sofa is almost a "neutral" these days - So you could do "anything" from Reds, to Blues, Oranges, Grays ... Find one "color" piece you are crazy about (Say, how bout that big painting you are thinking of for the TV wall perhaps?) and let it direct your choices for replacing/upscaling/upcoloring the other furnishings! I don't see any limitations here yet :-)
2 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:35PM
Darzy
Ditto lessismoore...sectionals appear to give you more seating, but it really limits your arrangments and seats less people. How about a sofa and 4 chairs? The sofa along the wall, then two chairs at each end of the sofa? (not all matching). Swivel rockers are great for conversation or swiveling to watch tv.

3 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 10:40PM
Jeff Whiteley
Well here's my new area rug! Let the decorating begin :)
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 6:13PM
lessismoore
Well, we are definitely going with a brown (warm) palette then? What about the art you'd mentioned on the TV wall? Did you see anything you liked? And if so, how would it fit with the rug?
Just extemporizing from what you've got now ... How about these for chairs - A solid and a print, and a bench for under your counter. Looking at this, and staying with the brown theme, how about painting the front door wall a dark chocolate too. Normally, I like a white door -- but since this opens directly into the living room, what about painting the door/molding there a a key color too? If the wall is a chocolate brown, door could be "tan" to match other walls, or even rust. Can't do too much with the photo ... but just to give you a super rough idea ...Also, I'm wondering if the rug would look better the other way - borders "under" both entertainment unit and sofa. ? Hope others will chime in on this :-)
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 10:10AM
Jeff Whiteley
Thanks for the comment. My idea here wasn't to stay with the brown theme cut ally this rug has a ton of colors that give me a great opportunity to go alot of different ways with the wall decorations wouldn't you think? The chairs are gonna be gone but the couch will stay. Not sure that route I'm gonna take replacing the chairs but brown is definitely not and option and I want to bring more color to the room. Wall hangings will be coming soon! Any ideas are totally welcomed :)
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 10:23AM
lessismoore
Hi Jeff - I'm sorry, maybe it's my monitor - but when I look at the new rug all I'm seeing is browns/tans/rusts ... Is there other accent colors there I'm missing?
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 11:03AM
anne dee
Your rug has a Navajo feel, true? You could introduce some colors for the rug as accents along with black and white. Maybe introduce some item from another design element such as a Japanese cabinet . Also some Aboriginal Australian art(subdued colors)
You could make it eclectic and interesting.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 11:41AM
PRO
GreenBox Art + Culture
What about a large ottoman in place of a coffee table? It could function as a coffee table (with a tray), foot rest, or additional seating. Also, with regard to wall art, we've got some gorgeous pieces that would look perfect in there. Here are some ideas, and the links take you to the page featuring that artist's entire collection. "Birch Trees" by Eli Halpin http://www.greenboxart.com/store/?artist=314 , "Rocky Mountain Bison" by Dolan Geiman http://www.greenboxart.com/store/?artist=499 , "Lady Monarch" by Amy Paul http://www.greenboxart.com/store/?artist=469 , "Dry Winter" by Todd Clark http://www.greenboxart.com/store/shop.html?artist=256 This is just a peek into our vast collection, so be sure to browse the whole site! http://www.greenboxart.com/
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 11:42AM
anne dee
This is the style of cabinet I was referring to for another style element.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 11:46AM
Darzy
Also need new lamps, and how about this for a coffee table with storage for remotes.

2 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 12:00PM
Darzy
Did you have a particular color scheme or accent color you wanted to introduce in the room? What type of "vibe" do you want?
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 12:18PM
Jeff Whiteley
All great ideas. I love the Bison photo from greenbox! I instantly want to place that behind my couch. I will probably stay away from the teal but would be open to other accent colors. What about incorporating some sort of chaise into the room in place if the recliner?
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 12:21PM
Jeff Whiteley
I want to stick with more of a modern yet outdoors type of look. I'm a single guy and still wanna keep it a little manly but comfortable. I do agree the lamps need replaced!
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 12:22PM
Jeff Whiteley
As far as colors I'm open to something new and exciting, I just think real would be out of my comfort zone :)
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 12:23PM
Jeff Whiteley
The coffee table is an option but the ottoman maybe not and my couch in a dual recliner.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 12:24PM
Darzy
How about rust/navy/golden yellow?

2 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 12:43PM
Darzy
navy/gold for thoughts...

2 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 12:44PM
lessismoore
The bison and deer (same artist) are great - provide a real inspiration point for color!
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 12:51PM
Jeff Whiteley
I agree! I have such big walls and tall ceilings i wish the pictures were bigger!
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 2:01PM
Jeff Whiteley
Lessismore what do you think of both the buffalo and the deer on either side of my TV? Would that be to much?
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 2:06PM
lessismoore
I think they would look great ... but not flanking the TV. Maybe with large matting/frames over sofa.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 2:18PM
Jeff Whiteley
Both side by side behind the sofa?
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 2:27PM
lessismoore
Yes. Or possibly, side by side to the left (?) of the TV ... Normally, I would want a different configuration, say 3 prints or 4 in either location. As these a on the small size for your space, you could add a print to the mix. Something that picks up the colors of the collages, but is more abstracted. Over by the TV -, to the right, nearing the kitchen I think I might like a tall shelf/bookcase - something for some height. Darzy has some great ideas.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 3:30PM
lessismoore
Rough of how an assortment (this is all same artist) might look matted. I really like these ...
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 3:57PM
marcmarg
The room seems to be all about the tv. try placing an area rug in front of the sofa, and square up the chairs creating a conversation area. A glass table on the rug would be useful, but not too obtrusive. Lower the TV so it sits just above the credenza.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 4:08PM
Darzy
I agree with marcmarg that the tv needs lowered. (or a taller chest of some sort). Lower would be better. I like lessismore's art suggestions. Interesting and masculine.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 4:47PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
@Darzy, thanks for your kind words on that other post. I really appreciate it. :-)
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:22PM
PRO
Edits! Interior Styling
I love the golden yellow chair suggested by Darzy. It sounds like you would like a chaise and I think that would be great down by window and front door. Choosing a fabric to cover it that has tons of texture like one of the rugs suggested by anne dee or I'm a big fan of cow hide, maybe in brown and white for your space. I know it will be a giant pain, but again, lowering the tv will make an unbelievable difference in the "finished" feel of the room.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 9:06PM
Jeff Whiteley
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I plan on lowering the TV and yes it will be a huge pain. I'll take more picks as I go along. Thanks again!
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 9:09PM
Darzy
@Interiors International. You're welcome but no thanks necessary. I meant every word.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 9:34PM
PRO
GreenBox Art + Culture
The Bison and Deer artwork would look great side by side, or flanking either side of the TV. They're both 24" wide and 30" tall, so together they'd make an impressive focal point. I also want to point out that these are canvas giclées gallery wrapped over 1.5" frames. Both the Bison and Deer are available in our shadowbox frames, and that would add a really nice, clean touch. Here's a bit about our framing: http://www.greenboxart.com/greenbox-framing/
Another modern outdoor themed piece that would be an interesting touch over the sofa as it's 48"x24" would be "Grizzly Growl" by Eli Halpin, it's definitely a unique, masculine piece. http://www.greenboxart.com/store/grizzly-growl.html
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 9:40AM
Jeff Whiteley
Thinking about adding one of these by the window. What do ya'll think?
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 4:42PM
Jeff Whiteley
Well I've finally got the room in order and I'm looking for help with a picture above my couch. And possibly some ideas of something to put in the corner behind my chaise lounge.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff
1 Like   July 13, 2013 at 9:34AM
PRO
GreenBox Art + Culture
Hi Jeff, the room is looking awesome! We recently added some new artwork to our line, including a few wall decals by Dolan Geiman - the artist of these two pieces you chose to flank the TV. Thought we'd point these out, if you're still looking for wall decor to go over the couch. http://www.greenboxart.com/store/?artist=499&dir=desc&order=created_at&starburst_type=129 Some other cool ideas would be a tapestry from a flea market or a vintage iron gate section or stained glass window from a salvage yard.
1 Like   July 22, 2013 at 8:34AM