Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help please!
kjames78
February 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My husband and I bought our dream house 2 months ago, however we are terrible decorators! We love the rich wood floors and beautiful crown molding, but we don't have a clue what to do with the bare walls and empty spaces. Any opinions are greatly appreciated!!! Is the rug ok? What about the leather furniture? How can we make this room flow?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kenakrona
I would make your fireplace a focal point, group your furniture with conversation and flow in mind around the fireplace. Put a mirror or art work above fire or your t.v. if you have no other place for it. on the windows that flank the fire,the drapes should be up higher and on a longer rod so the windows appear larger. Look at pottery barn for photo grouping ideas on that longer wall.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 8:21PM
Melanie Hon
Can you take one more picture from the fireplace looking towards the coffee table?
2 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 8:33PM
pineappleblonde
Drapes should be hung higher, and I would maybe put 2 panels on each side of the window for fullness.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 8:35PM
kjames78
Here is the other side of the room.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 8:42PM
PRO
LBDS
i agree with the other two comments above.
I also would think of a color scheme first. The red rug with the floor may be too much of red. The brown couch is nice but it seems a bit dark. You ould invest in another couch or have covers made.
But how to choose color? Start with the focal point, which is the fireplace...
I think if you tile the wall above the fireplace in a beautiful tile you like( you may need to just browse in a store and see what catches your eye), then if the brick needs to be painted to match, you can paint the brick to match...then you design the rest of the room with the colors according to your fireplace.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 8:50PM
Melanie Hon
Okay that helps a lot, as I definitely did not expect that! How about from the TV looking to the chair now.... The reason I ask is because the furniture layout seems off from the first two pictures, but maybe this is the only option you have. It seems to me the couch and the trunk should be facing the TV, and the lounger is blocking the fireplace.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 8:50PM
loroca
Here are some arrangements that could work for you. I think you need a larger area rug. I agree with a previous comment about putting the curtains higher, ideally to the ceiling (of course, it would have to go down to the floor though). Your chaise might be too chunky for this room, at least in that corner. http://houzz.com/ideabooks/7123825
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 8:53PM
loroca
I didn't mean to send you all my bookmarks :) its the last 3 at the bootom
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 8:55PM
kerocita
There are two competing focal points, the television and the fireplace. You can make it work but you have to watch your balance. In the fireplace photo you can see that the large recliner, end table, lamp and chair are all on one side of the room making it lopsided. If the recliner has to face the TV, then move the plant, table and lamp to the the opposite corner. I agree with adding width and height to your draperies. Heftier rods would be great. A large architectural element over the fireplace would be cool, iron or wood, check antique and salvage shops. Add a large (door-size) framed mirror on the left side of the TV. Add throws and pillows in rich fabrics/warm colors to the sofa to make the leather cozier.
Moving the little doggie onto the wood floor will make her stand out, she's blending into the carpet. : )
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 8:58PM
kerocita
now that I see the third photo, turn your rug so the long side is parallel to the two seater and the short side is parallel to the chair.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 9:03PM
kjames78
View from television
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 9:13PM
Susan Flowers
I think the curtains, rug and Tiffany lamps are very formal and the furniture more "man cave"
I agree with what everyone said..higher, fuller curtains...I love the fireplace..I think the leather chase is too large and casual for the room.....I think you have a combination of formal and casual and need to decide more on how you want the room to feel
2 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 9:13PM
cjohnston
Congrats on your dream home!! The first thing I notice is how big and beautiful your room is and how small your rug is by comparison. Unfortunately, this can make your room seem smaller than it is. Are you able to replace the rug? I'm also wondering, what are the dimensions of your room?
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 9:19PM
kjames78
Room is 17 ft 2 inches and 24 ft 8 inches
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 9:30PM
kjames78
What about the television above the fireplace?
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 9:31PM
cjohnston
Thanks for providing the room dimensions. What size is your existing rug? I meant to say earlier that I like your leather furniture in this room.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 10:09PM
Melanie Hon
How about putting the couch where the chair is, turn the trunk 90 degrees, put the chaise lounge where the couch is on an angle and put the chair where the chaise lounger is. Also try putting the plant on the other side of the fireplace to have something in that corner for now. I'm not a fan of putting TVA over the fireplace, and if you use the fireplace, it will actually shorten the lifespan of your tv (heat from fire). And also you'll just have a long blank wall to deal with.
3 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 10:15PM
audgerm
Laroca, great pictures! Kjames78- if you follow the picture floor plan ideas sent by Laroca, you will be on your way. The suggestions of floor to ceiling curtains, a different, larger rug are really great too and would make a big difference. I would not use the trunk style coffee table but something lower and slightly larger (see Laroca pics) you can always place the trunk somewhere else in the room once you have the main layout established. This is going to be a great room! Look forward to seeing pics!
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 11:02PM
Nancy McFalls
How about color - maroon curtains plus dark furniture seems a little gloomy. I think if you like warm rich colors (rather than, say, beachy shades), then how about adding some citrusy orange and maybe peony pink to liven it up? House Beautiful this month has a page with paint colors inspired by the Wizard of Oz poppy field scene that might click with you.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 11:13PM
carolins
Hi,
Congratulations on buying your dream house. The space looks great and I love the colour on the walls.

Not a big fan of the red curtains (floor to ceiling and neutral colour would look better, but maybe no curtains would be an option too?). I'd prefer a longer, lower cabinet for your tv and some art on the wall to make the tv less of an 'altar' and focal point. Also, does it really need to be exactly in the centre of the wall? Sometimes off-centre is better.
The huge (but very comfortable looking) chair doesn't look right in front of the fire. Melanie's idea of placing the furniture seems good.

I do like the brown leather, but think you need some lighter colours and different materials to break it up. Also a lighter coloured, larger rug would be better. Blue colours and neutrals would look good (added some photos and a link to give you an idea).

Kirkland Tanditional
Alamo Square Living Room http://www.potterybarn.com/products/printers-long-low-media-suite/?pkey=cmedia

Good luck!
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 2:19AM
kjames78
Thank for the wonderful comments. The rug is 8x10 so definitely need to get a bigger one
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 5:35AM
Susanna
Kjames,
I have moved into a new home also. I have been spending time here and on pinterest to find things. Attached is a board I made for you while I made mine. This is what I would do with your room. Some items are pricey but with more time online you could track them down for less...or something like it. Hope this helps... http://pinterest.com/artistea/home-james/
2 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 6:32AM
Ceddy Ced
Love to see a good Feng Shui arrangement in this room so that a clear path of energy flows throughout the room. :)... I'm thinking the love seat should face the TV, arranged with the recliner current there. The big chair w/ ottoman should be where the love seat is currently located. Love to see the window more and the fireplace. When you get a large rug, I would consider another style curtain to complement your furniture decor type.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 7:49AM
Ceddy Ced
I'm not sure where the large plant fits in this room... You probably need a much shorter plant if you need one :)
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 7:57AM
cjohnston
I'm thinking you may need a rug about 12" x 15" but it really depends on what furniture layout you go with. One idea you can try is to use painters' tape to outline various rug sizes on your floor and see what looks best to you. Large rugs are pretty pricey, so personally I like using either a banded sisal or a bound broadloom (which is basically wall-to-wall carpet with finished edges). There are lots of great textures and colors to choose from.

I also really like carolins suggestion for a tv cabinet. A wider cabinet will look like it was custom made for your long beautiful wall.

Keep us posted on your progress!
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 11:22AM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Susanna, I was looking for it!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:13PM
Susanna
2 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:34PM
Keitha
I would suggest a new arched fireplace screen. The boxy one that you currently have hides the lovely arch of the fireplace.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 3:11PM
PRO
Supreme Floor Company
The painters tape is a great idea for Lots of things. Congrats on new Home. Looks Great. My thot from pictures is the red in the rich wood floors fighting with the red in rug and curtains? I love red .I have floors similar . I just cannot do red. Good luck..Swell people here to help you.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 3:27PM
PRO
Distinguished Flooring LLC
It is your living space pick items that appeal to you
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 3:59PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Again, very nice choices Susanna!
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 11:12AM
Susanna
Thanks, Susan! This was fun as she has a lovely room to work with.
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 4:31PM
kjames78
Any ideas of area rugs? I am looking for 12x15 but they are so expensive!
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 7:14PM
kerocita
Ballard Designs suggests using two identical rugs side by side in large spaces. http://www.ballarddesigns.com/living-room/laraine-living-room/
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 5:13AM
kerocita
here's a photo showing two rugs
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 5:16AM
Kared
Some ideas
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 6:41AM
soberg
I'd get rid of those curtains - they seem to be dragging the room down. Either use custom curtains in a really beautiful fabric, sized very generously to he ceiling and clearing the glass - or leave them off altogether as you do no really need curtains when you have blinds.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 6:53AM