Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for window treatments!
shunte02
February 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I love curtains and what they can add to a room, but my window is in an awkward spot. The placement of the window so close to the edge of the wall doesn't give me any room to add in a curtain rod. I know a roman shade is an option, but I would love a roman shade + curtains. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
I'm guessing your windows crank out and the single one on the left is stationary. I would use two identical lined curtain panels. Hang the one on the far right, just covering the window frame. Most of the curtain will actually cover the wall. Use the other panel to completely cover the stationary window but use a rod that is deep enough that this curtain will stick out enough to cover the frame of the left side crank window. You'll need deep rods anyway so the panels will fall and clear the ledge. Hang them floor to ceiling and people will probably never look up and figure out what you've done to get this odd space to balance. Try it with sheets first and use blue painter's tape to play with the concept.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 10:37PM
Nancy McFalls
You said you like the layered look so how about floor to ceiling panels (as the other poster suggested), then matchstick blinds beneath, hung high to cover the gap? That could keep you from fabric overload. I think the other post suggests hanging curtains as if the window wasn't so far over... I agree... as long as the panels overlap the right window frame edge I think viewers' eyes won't catch that the window's a bit off-kilter. Or, lighter/sheerer panels flanked by curtains could obscure the window frame's exact location... but I'd hate to lose your snowy view!
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 11:52PM
charleee
Have you thought about hanging the rods above the windows, instead of on the sides? That could work.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:48AM
shunte02
Does this picture kind of sum up the idea you guys are talking about? I would just need to find a curtain rod that is deep enough to cover the stationary window on the left, and can fit up against the wall since there's not much room between the end of the window and the wall?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 5:51AM
decoenthusiaste
Yes. That's the idea. Finding the rod with a longer holder will be the tricky part. It might have to be custom, or you may have to get it made at a metal shop to hold the rod you like. Another thing. There won't be room for a decorative end on the rod at the stationary window since the treatment will need to but against the wall above the crank window. Just get a simple flat end cap to close the rod.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:15AM
shunte02
Perfect! I'll start looking into places that sell the type of rod i'm looking for. Thanks for all your help!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:17AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would treat the window as 1 window . I would recommend an Ibeam track it bends easily and the curtain will cover the really small window so it will look like 1 large window. However I would not recommend going with a roman shade as well it should be 1 or the other . It will make it to heavy looking for the space . I would recommend a silhouette or cellular shade for the inside of the window to brighten up the space.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/cellular-shades.html
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/hunter-douglas/silhouette-toronto.html
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:49AM
pybo
Two rod with corner bracket can let you hang the corner window curtains. I didn't know you could do that either until I read it at Houzz, see link
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/23003/How-are-the-corner-drapery-rods-hung---Is---
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:39PM
shunte02
I'm going to try and avoid wrapping the curtains around the wall to cover the little window on the left. I'm more concerned with the bigger ones and making it look even. I think I'm going to get a rod that can mount flush against the wall, and run it right across to the other side of the wall. I'll take down the blackboard, move it somewhere else and have a curtain covering that part of the wall instead. I like the matchstick blind idea, so I'll probably add that in too.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:59PM
rawketgrl
All these suggestions are great! I hope you find a solution that works for your space. As usual I am thinking of going a completely different direction than other posters. I think I would turn it into a corner book nook. Bookshelf on wall next to window (Where there is currently a red scrolly framed mirror?). Since you have an outlet there I might even add a down-light sconce to the outside of the bookshelf facing the bench. I would place a bench that fits in the space below the windows (or build one to fit in the space). Add a beautiful fabric covered cushion with pillows and a nice throw on the bench.

Then get some top down/bottom up cellular shades for privacy and allow for view/light control. If you feel at that point that the top of the windows needed a valence for warmth/texture/depth you could add one above all the windows with the bottom of the valence just covering the top window frame. Whatever you decide will be great however, you already have a nice space and good colors. Have fun, :D
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:50PM
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
How wide is the small window on the left?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:38PM
decoenthusiaste
Post the results for us!
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 10:35AM
shunte02
I don't know! sorry! I'm an hour away at my house at university
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 10:50AM