Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Do either of these mirrors work?
kriesenbec
February 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I purchased 2 mirrors and I don't know if either of them work with this piece in my entry. Help me choose!!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Manon Floreat
I prefer the first wood frame mirror. It's slender shape is an elegant counterpoint to the square chest. I also like that it does not compete with the fantastic lamp. The second one is too large and will proclaim itself as the star of the vignette.
February 9, 2013 at 9:47PM     
raimai
Think depends on how you position mirrors. The wood is nice but too small to position in centre, would make asymmetrical vignette with mirror to side, or a third along, with objects positioned in front. My preference is for the silver mirror if positioned to centre. You'll get 50/50 response on opinion :) go with your gut instinct.
February 9, 2013 at 9:54PM   
cjohnston
Perhaps it's my screen, but the photos seem a little dark, so I'm not sure if I'm seeing the exact colors. From what I can tell, it looks like either frame works, playing off of different tones in your chest, but I prefer the brown frame (since the lamp already picks up the silver in your chest). However, I think the size of the silver mirror is better for your space. Does the silver mirror come in a brown frame?
February 9, 2013 at 9:56PM   
janishill
The brown frame is perfect! It draws the eye, is in perfect balance with the chest and adds interest while the silver is slightly too large making the composition feel like it is going to topple any moment.
February 9, 2013 at 10:09PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
I like the brown mirror. The silver is too much silver, takes away from the richness of the chest.
February 9, 2013 at 10:14PM     
decoenthusiaste
Brown - for all the above reasons. Hang it to one side, lamp on the other.
February 9, 2013 at 10:20PM     
kriesenbec
Thank you!!!
February 9, 2013 at 11:20PM   
PRO
Welcome Home designs
I think either mirror would work but I think I would "jazz" up the lamp - the shade you have now blends in too much.
Check out the photo for inspiration.

February 9, 2013 at 11:32PM   
Darzy
Ditto...the brown one caught my eye too. Love the furniture and lamp too.
February 10, 2013 at 12:41AM     
bumbles12
Hi , I think the silver one. It's more in proportion then the narrow timber one. The silver looks more classy. I also think it goes well with your lamp.
February 10, 2013 at 2:10AM   
majmurphy
With the silver mirror, it dominates. With the wood mirror, the desk dominates. I think you want the desk to dominate.
February 10, 2013 at 2:39AM   
bumbles12
I'm sorry I disagree, I think the narrow mirror looks out of place.
February 10, 2013 at 2:40AM   
bumbles12
What do you think of this photo? To me it is more in proportion. I like the silver mirror.
February 12, 2013 at 1:04AM   
PRO
LB Interiors
If you choose to go with the silver mirror, then I feel you could use a candlestick lamp. The mirror in the above photo works better to that chest, because it is not a solid silver frame. It is broken up with another dark color.
February 12, 2013 at 1:10AM     
bumbles12
LB, yes, you are definitely right.
February 12, 2013 at 1:14AM     
PRO
ASVInteriors
OK you probably have more than enough divided opinion but I just can't help myself...

I like the silver frame with the mirror. In the image you provided, the silver looks muted (on both the frame and the lamp). It adds up to a quiet effect rather than a loud look-at-me effect. The rest of your hallway looks muted, so the two combined do reinforce a gentle wow. I would hang your frame about 5-6" above the dresser top as per bumbles12 latest image.
February 12, 2013 at 3:42AM     
Jean Tuck
wood frame mirror sets off lamp base better
February 12, 2013 at 3:57AM     
janicedonato
I think the brown framed mirror helps make the lamp stand out more. It's better for that particular setting, more pleasing to my eyes.
February 12, 2013 at 4:19AM