powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
It has been a year since we updated an original 1969 one story ranch house and made it our own.
lj12
February 10, 2013 in Before & After
Our search for a new home started with the idea of providing a yard and the best school option for our twins. We found ourselves purchasing a fixer and diving head deep into a complete remodel with a second story addition. The whole project, after permits were approved, took six months. At times we questioned our sanity for having taken this endeavor. However, I am happy to report we are pleased with the outcome. That old dark house with low ceilings is gone and we now enjoy an open floor plan with abundant natural light throughout.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
madhubunny
Beautiful! Well done!!
February 10, 2013 at 12:58AM     
charleee
That's amazing! I have a ranch, and it doesn't look anything like this!
February 10, 2013 at 2:15AM   
carolins
Oh wow! Gorgeous result. Worthwhile all the trouble and stress (and money). It is beautiful!
February 10, 2013 at 2:22AM   
groveraxle
Incredible. Are you sure this is the same house?
February 10, 2013 at 3:07AM     
Deborah Sullivan
wow, what a transformation!
February 10, 2013 at 4:55PM   
danasuzi
Amazing transformation! We bought a 1968 raised ranch for the yard and schools in August and are now in the fifth month of renovating the entire house. You did a great job and I hope mine turns out as nice!
February 10, 2013 at 7:25PM   
PRO
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
Impressive that you got that much work done in 6 months!
February 10, 2013 at 9:06PM   
lj12
Thank you all for your nice comments. Here are a couple of answers to some of your questions / statements. Fist of all, yes it is the same house. As many of you already know, the stress during any type construction is incredible. We were paying for the mortgage on the fixer, paying for the remodel/addition and paying rent to the new owners of our old house.

We were determined to get our moneys worth for the modifications. I rolled up my sleeves and became the unofficial project manager. It became a routine to be working at my computer at 1 am or 2 am and wake up to clarify further questions at 6:30 am. It also helped that my retired father was on the site with the construction workers every day they showed up for the length of time they worked. They all became good pals. Having a second set of eyes did wonders. At the beginning of the project, our contractor felt confident he could finish in six months and I held him to his word. I removed any potential barriers and responded to all his questions any time he needed clarification. No one ever waited for us to make a decision or clarify anything. I lived in my work-out clothes for the length of the remodel and learned more than I could have ever imagined about the industry. The acquired knowledge was a great trade off for being willing to get dirty around the construction site. It was completely worth it. The major delay was getting the city to approve our plans which took about two months longer than anticipated. As it turned out, we live in one of the most strictest cities in Southern California.

We made every penny stretch. Our home redo is an example of what is possible on a tight budget.
February 11, 2013 at 12:05AM   
solraven
Wow! that's beautiful!
February 11, 2013 at 12:08AM