Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
2nd story addition dilemma
ajvirani
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi, I'm looking to get some design ideas on our upcoming addition. We currently have a ranch and hope to add another 1500 sq ft of living space over part of the house. The problem is I hate my brick. I was hoping to add stone to the addition but don't want it to look awkward. Most homes I've seen have stone on the bottom and brick on top. I have attached an awful mockup, pics of the existing structure, and the drawings which look awesome. I was hoping to get some opinions/ideas on stone color, what can be done to the existing brick, if anything, and any other comments you all may have. Would it make sense to add stone accents to the existing brick? Would it be really expensive to reface the front brick with stone? Ideally I like lighter stones but between my roof and the existing brick, I'm not sure what to do. Please help.

Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ajvirani
Also are there any cost effective ways of getting better mockup a with different stone options? I'm pretty embarrassed with my photoshop skills :)
February 10, 2013 at 1:11AM   
PRO
Dytecture
Hi, the black and white elevation looks much better with the stone on the 2nd level. I think the addition could be better integrated as the current design puts all the emphasis above the garage. If you are interested for quick rendering options please email: info@dytecture.ca
February 10, 2013 at 6:08AM   
ajvirani
Thanks for the input.
February 10, 2013 at 8:09AM   
PRO
Design Mode
Here's an idea out of the left field - could you build the addition over the main part of the house? Or paint out above your garage doors so they blend in with the house?
February 10, 2013 at 8:21AM   
ajvirani
The intent is to add the addition over one side of the house, attached are a few more images and elevations. This is the side of the house. With a balcony on the front side and a roof top deck on the back.
February 10, 2013 at 9:08AM   
ajvirani
This is the backside elevation and picture.
February 10, 2013 at 9:08AM   
ajvirani
And this is another side elevation.
February 10, 2013 at 9:09AM   
ajvirani
Any other thoughts or ideas?
February 22, 2013 at 2:24PM   
rod handler
Don't go up, go out. Garage doors facing the street are ungracious. Why not have your architect convert the garage area (probably close to 1200 sq ft right there) into living space. Build a new side-facing garage (do you really need 3?) in front of and to the left of current garage doors and make the entry area into an enclosed "courtyard". Put some french doors from the new "garage" rooms along the covered entry path. Maybe you have room for a motorcourt in front of the new garage? Can't tell how much space is there from the photos.
Don't ate the brick, put a white wash or paint on the brick. The arched windows in the back look sort of creepy. You'd do better with bigger, rectangular windows, or french doors.
Hire a great landscape architect to consult with you on garage placement and overall yardscape.
February 22, 2013 at 3:01PM