Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Closet Hallway Dilemma
designideas4me
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Ok so as my back pain is getting worse , I realize that bending and lifting is what hurts the worst. I just took out all my papers and supplies and stuff that was packed into this cabinet ( brown) that is in my hall. As you can see I have a closet next to the storage cabinet( this used to be a coat closet). I had a handiman turn this closet into a great place for me to organize and store all my electronics and art supplies and toiletries and paperwork and you name it. I have a ton of containers all organized and labeled. Its a bit messy in the pic since I am reorgazizing. You get the idea. Anyway I have always felt its a waste of space and didnt like the look of this cabinet and its just too painful to bend and get in the back of there anyway. Ok so whats the best option for this space? Ignore the floor as usual. Its best that I remove the cabinet and build another closet or book shelf before I put in the new floor. But I dont know exactly what to put there. I can see this space from the livingroom and think it wouldnt look good to have a door handle there but would love to have more shelves and storage like in the closet. If I keep it open shelves and build a bookcase I kinda feel I cant keep containers there and it will serve a more decrotive function. I suppose I could get nicer boxes to store things that I need accessable but dont want another place to clean dust and for it to look busy and cluttered. So I would like some ideas. Thx
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Shawn Lagemann
Remove the "brown" cabinet and replace the floors. This way if you change your mind or sell down the road, whatever you decide to put in this place can be removed or redone without having to redo the floors. If a shallower depth is easier for you to reach into you can either have a custom cabinet made or stack stock upper cabinets on top of each other. If you can reach into a deeper cabinet there are many full height pantry cabinets that can be installed and trimmed out. This way you have doors to hide the storage and there are so many cabinet designs available you can pick a style that compliments your decor and can be trimmed out to be very dressy looking as well. An armoire is an option or another furniture piece. Good luck and feel better.
February 10, 2013 at 7:27AM   
designideas4me
Thank you shawn. What do you mean by trimmed out? I would ideally like something that goes to the ceiling or close but I am concerned it will look odd to have a closet with a door at six feet in height ( or whatever normal door height is for a hallway) and than next to it having a book shelf that extends to the ceiling. The other option that would really give me more space is to make another closet exactly like this one on the left and completely close off that space as is done with the closet however I am concerned it will take away from the open look. I was thinking maybe a folding door or some kind of unique door could be made that would conceal both closets and also make them look like one. Any ideas or pictures to keep with my modern theme. I just dont have much storage in my bedroom closet and its pretty full as is my sons closet and my mothers closet. I did manage to put more stuff in containers and plan to put more shelves in the garage as its easier to lift one box at a time to look for something when needed than to dig stuff out thats 3 feet back on a bottom shelf in a dark cabinet. I guess this remodeling is making me face the future and realize now is the time not just to think about what looks good but what works for me health wise and function wise. Has anyone else who is disabled had to alter their home due to physical limitations?
February 10, 2013 at 12:15PM   
armchairshopper
Here's an idea fresh from the June 2014 edition of Builder magazine.
June 10, 2014 at 12:29PM