Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bathroom Ideas Needed
melaniegilchrist
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This bathroom currently has a Jacuzzi bath which needs a good clean up and a shower attachment. This is not ideal because there is a window there!
There is already a built in shower,not sure if this comes out in the picture. I will paint the walls, the tiles are quite high so not enough room for a cupboard. Any ideas on storage?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
ASVInteriors
I have been done the road of a window right by a bath/shower (and it is not a pretty one!). First of all, it looks as if your window is not a wood frame which is good news as plastic frames are better suited for wet and humid environments.

Secondly you do have a shower so the bathtub will not do double duty as both shower and tub - this means your splash zone is fairly minimal in the window area. Bottom line. You can probably leave it and hope kids don't point the shower attachment upwards!

For your space requirements, your best bet is to either custom build a shelf/cupboard that encloses your sink up to the bath tub, or to create open shelves and neatly place towels on them (some small box containers can hide the other stuff.

In Europe, your toilet water tank is often concealed behind a false wall, and you could have created small shelves either side for toilet rolls etc.. (with or without doors).
February 10, 2013 at 4:10am     
inkwitch
These photos show the individual items, but a couple of overall shots would help. With the tile that high up hte walls, some open shelves above the toilet would hold towels. If there is space beside the toilet, vanity or showerstall for a wicker shelving unit (not more than 3' high?) for towells. If there is inadequate storage beneath the vanity, the high shelves could hold baskets for items.

Search through houzz's photos of bathrooms. There are a lot of neat ideas for storage for a small space. It's a neat and attractive bathroom. GOod tile.
February 10, 2013 at 4:16am     
rinqreation
The second picture is a shower, right?
February 10, 2013 at 4:43am   
melaniegilchrist
Yes the second picture is a shower
February 10, 2013 at 5:02am   
melaniegilchrist
It's hard to get a better picture,there's not a lot of room. It's an en suite in a bedroom.
The first picture is just to show where the bathroom is when you enter the bedroom!
February 10, 2013 at 5:14am   
inkwitch

Here's an idea that may help. Worse case, copy the link into your browser or search ideabooks on small bathroom solutions on houzz.
February 10, 2013 at 9:54am     
rinqreation
A cupboard above the toilet for bottles and toiletpaper. A vanity. A shelf/rack above the tub next to the mirror for rolled up towels. So many ways to create storage space.
February 10, 2013 at 10:43am   
bojaby
I am confused. Are you saying you are going to put a shower head in the jacuzzi area? Why would you need that? I would just have it a jacuzzi and have the window replaced with opaque glass. Get rid of the shower curtain. I had a window over my tub shower combination and had a carpenter take out the window. He replaced it with a non opening vinyl edged window with glass that light shows through but you cannot see through. H e tiled the window ledge and the inside around the window. It is perfect and not too expensive. The window looks like all the other windows from outside and very attractive from inside. I am so glad the contractor talked me out of glass blocks.

As for the rest of our bathroom I would replaced the sink with a cabinet style that isn't too deep. I don't know what style you are going for but IKEA has some great narrow vanities with sinks if it is modern or I found a nice narrow vanity that holds an 14 inch vessel sink. Home Depot and Lowes also carry narrower wood vanities with composite sinks. Either replace the mirror or frame it. Then place light skonces on either side of the mirror or replace the track lighting above the sink with something more indicative of the overall style you choose. Finally, would you consider repainting? You have beautiful tile but the current color just blends in with it to create a monochromatic effect. Perhaps a rich brown or color that contrasts with the tile. It could use a pop of color but I would leave that for towels and other accessories. If you use a rich brown on the walls aqua blue and celeron green would be beautiful accents. a picture hung over the toilet with these colors would pull it all together.

Not sure how far you want to go with this but it looks like the door opens into your bathroom. You could consider a pocket door. Either way, the wall to the left of the sink and across from the shower seems like the perfect place for towels. I prefer hooks to bars. Just be sure you put in a door drop longer than the hooks stick out from the wall. I have a series of 4 hooks mounted on wood behind my door and it works beautifully. If you have children mount a second bar of hooks low for their use.

I am not sure what your bathroom door faces when it is closed but a person helping me decorate once suggested place a series of hooks or a decorative hanger with wood pegs on the side of the door facing out. Towels hung here dry quicker than behind an open door and if you use accent towels they add color. We use this hanger for family towels, assigning a color for each family member and have a towel bar with display/company towels in the bathroom proper. I also have a bathroom cabinet mounted above the stool in each bathroom for every day needs like toothpaste, deodorant, etc. The one I like best has opaque glass in the doors which looks great with the opaque window over the tub. I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond for under $40 with their 20% off coupon.

Sorry to go on and on but I have recently remodeled two bathrooms and am working on the third so I have looked at many many ideas. Good luck and do post your results.
February 10, 2013 at 11:26am