Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to decorate a L shape living room?
Kelly Reece
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Have a large 3 piece sofa, a two seat sofa and a 40 inch telly with tv stand to try and get into this living room space. Any ideas appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kelly Reece
Sorry I mean 3 seat sofa.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 6:32AM
jjandhk
i would try centering the telly and stand on the long wall; and float the 2 sofas facing each other, with the 3-seater towards the right of your photo.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 6:49AM
Dar Eckert
Thinking that the TV by the stairs would work with the three seat sofa across the room on the long wall. The love seat under the window. Maybe buy a couple of chairs instead of the loveseat and place them near the kitchen door at right angles to the sofa.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:05AM
Kelly Reece
Thank you, floating the Sofa's sounds good I theory but the room is a very awkward shape and as you can see doesn't work for this room.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:24AM
Kelly Reece
The tv under the stairs seems the best idea at present but due to the shape of the room, I am concerned you won't see the telly from near the window. What do you think?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:31AM
PRO
Kalli George Interiors
Try the following configuration....Largest sofa against the longest wall. Smaller sofa facing the window with its back to the foor. A nice console table behind it would ground it. TV below the window. A window treatment inside the window to control light. Then some simple curtain panels of either side TV. A reading nook or desk area below the stairs. All this is assuming there is enough clearance for traffic flow. If program allows to change the measurements - make sure everything you fit in this room is to scale.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 7:58AM
Kelly Reece
Thank you. Is this what you mean? I quite like this idea, creates the most space and I would of never have thought of this myself. I am using google sketch up, everything is to scale, I just have 2 huge fabric Sofa's which take up alot of space but are so comfortable. Appreciate your help.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:28AM
PRO
JWinteriors
When you place the loveseat next to the sofa, you need to make it feel like a sectional with the arms touching with a side table filling the void. Think first of a conversation area. Place the sofa on the long wall with the love seat under the window...both touching each other. Table on both sides of love seat with lamps. Coffee table set center of both love seat and couch. Place chair with ottoman in corner of long wall on a diagonal facing tv, which is placed by stairwell cavity. The chair ottoman can be split up for extra seating when needed. Place a table with lamp by the chair. Anchor seating area with a rug. Hang window treatments on window for softness...try going 95" panels for the extra height. Stick to large accessories and art to give the room spaciousness.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:43AM
PRO
Kalli George Interiors
If everything is up to scale, this is so the wrong furniture for this room. Can you post the dimensions of your sofas and the dimensions of the room? Do both sofas have to face the TV or are you ok with two different spaces - one for TV viewing and one for conversation? What are the dimensions between the wall and the staircase landing? You might be able to place one sofa beneath the stairs. You can then hang a picture behind it (hang it from the stairs) - create the illusion that there is a wall there. The TV below the window. Coffee table is a narrow fabric/leather ottoman. It will be easy on the knees if someone bumps into it. This is a narrow room. Simplicity is key. No angles.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:49AM
Kelly Reece
Dims are on the pic attached, any help with this would be appreciated. We already have the sofas so were stuck with them. All walls are supporting so none of them can be removed either so just trying to work with what we have.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:43AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I suggest you admit defeat and trade the two seater for two chairs. I'd then place the three seater on the long wall, flanked by a chair on each end of the sofa. The TV would live under the stairs. Be careful to keep the chairs on the small side. Look for chairs with thin arms.

Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:58AM
PRO
Kalli George Interiors
Never crossed my mind to knock down wall. Will sketch in my program and see what solutions are available. Need to step out, but will provide you with something workable. Is there anything else that should go in that room that you already have? Best to have a complete picture to ensure a very function design.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:58AM
Kelly Reece
That would be really great thank you. There is nothing else we have that needs to go in the room but if you have recommendations on any other furniture we should put in there to make the room work we are open to Ideas, we would just prefer to keep both sofas as they are relatively new. You have been a great help, thanks again.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 10:20AM
Kelly Reece
Also to answer your previous comment, we are open to two different spaces. Thank you.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 10:24AM
PRO
Kalli George Interiors
Kelly, are the openings doors? If so, which way do they open? Into the room - right or left swing?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:38PM
PRO
Kalli George Interiors
Hi Kelly. If still interested, I have a floorplan for you. Please email me and I will send it to you with some notes.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:08PM
Kim
Really liked your first idea Broadhouse. Did it work?
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 9:46PM
PRO
Kalli George Interiors
Thank you kimthomas6. The furniture is far too big for this room. I have come up with another layout which I think will work. Will post tomorrow.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:51PM
Kelly Reece
Hi. Thank you. Sorry for the delayed response only just getting back from work. The door nearest the window opens Inwards with hinges on the left, the door to the right hand side opens into the other room so is not a problem. What is the best E-mail address to contact you on?
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 9:54AM
PRO
Kalli George Interiors
broadhousedesigninc@yahoo.ca
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 10:05AM
Kelly Reece
Thanks.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 11:41AM
PRO
Kalli George Interiors
Thank you Kelly. Best of luck to you. I look forward to seeing the finished room.
The pictures on this link .....ow.ly/hERJC
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 1:30PM