Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Is this listello tile dated?
cfailing
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are building a house and need advice for my kitchen. We have cherry cabinets, stainless appliances and verde butterfly granite countertops. My problem is the backsplash. I bought noce tubled marble 3x6 tile. I want a listello border but are these dated? Not sure if I should just do the tile without one of the borders. Help!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I would say yes, the listellos are dated. I would do a Houzz search for backsplashes and look at some other options.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 6:55AM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Please take a look through the photo archives here on Houzz. You can search border and listello tile to narrow your parameters ion the browse rooms button. In my opinion the listello is dated. Consider the 3X6 stacked as a more contemporary treatment. If you have a more traditional style, set them brick fashion and don't do any listello.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 6:56AM
feeny
In my opinion, accent tile borders on backsplashes date faster than any other item in the kitchen. I'd skip the listello (or any) border and just go with the plain tiles you've chosen--especially since your granite has a lot of activity in it. You want the focus to be there.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:02AM
eireannach
I agree that the border is dated but really it comes down to your own personal taste, not ours. If you like it go for it but I don't think you'd need to ask if you loved it. Self build can be daunting with the amount of decisions that need to be made. Take your time and good luck
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:19AM
cfailing
Thanks for the advice!! Once more question as a follow up. Do you recommend I add finish pieces at the top of backsplash such as 2in crown or 3/4in pencil liner? Like you said, don't want too much. I only have about 12in of backsplash sticking out beyond cabninets and then 3ft above kitchen sick and pass through. Thanks again!! :)
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:23AM
eireannach
I would go for the pencil liner. Subtle but nicely finished.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 7:50AM
hamburgerbudget
Thank you for your questions, I was asking myself the same exact questions. I believe this has been the most puzzling part of the bathroom redo, besides, ceiling color. Ha ha. Best wishes with your project!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:11AM