Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help with walls painting
cleoken
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just bought a new house and need help with painting the walls. As you can see the photos each room flows into the other. The furniture you see in the photos are not there, the owners empty the house. Kitchen is new but walls are white and want to put a color. Dining room, living room and sun room are all white walls. Do we paint all the rooms one color? Any ideas will be appreciated. Also the fireplace we are thinking of painting the bricks white. Why I can't put more photos on here? I will try to see if I can add more. Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cleoken
Here are some more photos so you can see the lay out of the house. Next to the dinning room there is a sun room which I love.
February 10, 2013 at 7:30AM   
nramsey1
Definitely paint brick white. Nice room. Lean different art (all different shapes and sizes ) against wall all the way across mantel.
February 16, 2013 at 1:30AM   
charleee
I like the look of natural brick, but I think yours could use a wake-up call. Get some foaming bath cleaner and a nylon scrub brush and the brick will look much better. For paint color because your rooms open up to each other you can have your paint company reduce the color by 50% for adjoining rooms but still actually use the same color, does that make sense?
February 16, 2013 at 2:30AM     
DIAspoton
WOW. beautiful natural light. i just glanced at a 3 of your ideabooks. beautiful,light upbeat. based on that, i'd suggest :

have a carpenter add wide white painted trim on the FP sides as so many have in your ideabook.
clean the brick with TSP.

most of the common area idea rooms you chose are white so you're obviously drawn to the look. take that as your cue to leave it alone.
you're lucky to be starting with a blank canvas.
get color by installing original art. begin layering color with rugs,pillows,window treatments, accessories.
be sure to integrate color with patterns rather than color blocking.
just guessing here. you looked at many homes. most did not have white walls. you bought the one with white walls. maybe this is the look that makes you feel good?

if you must paint, keep it soft like a very pale gray or pale sage.

you could go with the ubiquitous tan, taupe,med. gray or gold. it would be pretty enough but it just doesn't seem like a true fit.

the kitchen is a different story. how about a nice soft robins egg blue? it's a cheerful color so it would fit the house.

(if you come back saying you're thinking of painting each room a different emerald color with a big plaid sofa,i give up ! LOL)
February 16, 2013 at 3:24AM     
inkwitch
From the photos, the kitchen backsplash and countertop is gray. Often photos skew colors. There's lots of light so you could do a somewhat darker shade for the walls. WIth variations, using the same color throughout would have a more unifying effect and the rooms would flow together. YOu just have to decide if it's a brown tone or a gray tone. Or somewhere in between with greige/taupe colors.

WHen I look at your photos (minus the furniture), I see a silvery taupe in the living room, a slightly darker shade in the dining room, a deep tone in the kitchen (making the backsplash appear lighter) and eating area. Be sure to test colors on the walls and stare at them in both daylight and lamplight to be sure you like the colors you choose at all times of the day.

If you're going to paint the FP (HIGHLY recommended - that brick is so dated and downright ugly), recommend you do it first (you'll have to make some fast decisions on color here) and spray it. THat means some work to protect surrounding surfaces, but it's faster, actually less messy, and gets paint in EVERY crevace. PErsonally, if it's in the budget now or later, refacing it with a different stone would be better. I'd paint it a couple of shades darker than the walls, but not dramatically darker if you're going for a formal LR. Not seeing your furniture or knowing your decor style, it's hard to comment on that.

Great house! Congrats! You're going to have so much fun! Post after photos. We'll all love to see what you do.
February 16, 2013 at 4:22AM     
More Discussions
Dark floors! Accessorise and or rearrange my living room!
Please help, my leather sofa is burgundy, floor is...
Dining Room LARGE wall help!
We have a HUGE wall space to fill. We don't have room...
Tiles selection
We want to change the tiles in the kitchen. Need help/suggestions...
Help with improving layout of kitchen & master bath/walk-in
My husband and I have purchased a new-build home in...
Need help with my exterior paint scheme
We are replacing the front door system to a full glass...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.