powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Basement finish.....I am horrible picking colors.....floors.....walls....help please
David Millard
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is new bar area I tried to show whole area. Not sure how to get started on this app either
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David Millard
I can provide more photos too
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:29AM
mshine
What is your countertop going to be?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:05AM
jsreams
Wow, I love that fish tank! Also, nice use of the stone.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 9:16AM
David Millard
Gettin frustrated trying to add photo of counter top material
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:24AM
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Wow! Great use of stone! The fish tank is amazing! Love it! The colours all depend on the mood you wish to set. Your photo shows someone with a guitar (I shall assume that's you). An excellent addition to a basement space, is cork flooring/wall decor. It is easy to walk on/stand on! Great for sound/echo reduction and can be sealed against leaks...of any kind. If you are looking for a "dark den" look (by the sounds of the counter top colour, I would guess this is where you are going with the space), you can go with a handsome, traditional "black walnut' look on the floor with beige on the walls. This will give you the "Amsterdam Brown Cafe" look!

Have a look at Icork Floor LLCs website:
www.icorkfloor.com

For prices and floor finishes. They have close to 40+ cork floating flooring options....all for the same price as a medium end laminate OR a low end engineered hardwood! Add some cork underlay to that floor and you have one heck of a sound studio!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:25AM
PRO
JWinteriors
Make sure you use 6" white baseboards for balance with such a large bar area. I would use slate gray wall color which the white baseboards would frame nicely. You can run floor to ceiling drapes to frame the windows to play them up. Hang them more on wall to mot cover up the window. Floor tile can be 2' x 2' tile in a dark slate gray that has some subdued pattern. Black bar stools to pick up the color of the granite or the same color as the cabinets. Keep all light oak out of this room. Remember recessed cans as well as under cabinet lights. Nice room!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:26AM
PRO
JWinteriors
Dont forget to crown out those uppers with a large crown!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:27AM
David Millard
Oh and yes I have a large crown for upper cabinets, I want it different color though just not sure what to use
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:56AM
David Millard
Counter material
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:59AM
Jennifer Hogan
I think step one is to figure out what you want and what colors you love. Right now you have perfectly blank slate. Stone will go with virtually any color you pick.

Look around your house and in your closet and at your art and accessories.

Do you wear all black and gray with a splash of red? Do you love lime green and tangerine? Or maybe you are a fall color person with the sage greens and a touch of rust?

Think about the room, how you will use it, what you will be doing when your in that room. Do you want it filled with energy or relaxing. What colors and textures will help bring that feeling to your space? Do you have pets or children that will be using the space? Think about who will be using the space. . . toddlers may get hurt on ceramic tile floors, dogs can scratch the wood floors. If you are going to have a lot of crazy parties light carpets will be impossible to keep clean.

You will get a ton of responses that are going to feed you the latest trends, but the trend will be over in 5 years. Planning the room to fit your personality and the use it is intended for will last you a lifetime
2 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:59AM
David Millard
The basement I finishing has several new rooms as well so I have plenty of different things I can do so I don't want to do all the same. The new bathroom is actually almost done so I am posting a pic
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 10:16AM
Jennifer Hogan
If you don't want everything the same, but want to have a coordinated feel to the space pick two coordinating colors (lighter and darker of the same or the same value but one more sage green and one more traditional neutral), then pick 3-5 accent colors that you love with your main color(s). Use these colors for accent walls and rooms adjoining the main space. Use these colors in your upholstery and accent pieces.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 11:12AM
David Millard
I want accent walls, I just don't know which ones ta paint.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 11:15AM
Jennifer Hogan
This is probably as frustrating as anything for you. I can almost hear you saying - just tell me what to do!

The problem is that your accent wall provides balance for a room. We can't tell what the layout looks like, where you will have seating, what you want to accent.

With my home I started with a drawing of my house.

I looked around my house and picked my paint pallet based on the colors that I had in my furniture and floors (things that can't be changed) and things that I needed to have pop. For you this is limited because it is new construction, but you have the fish tank and the stone and counter top. I don't know if you already have furniture. You also have some colors selected for your bathroom and probably don't want to change those.

I wanted my honey maple cabinets to stand out - so I picked a very dark red for my kitchen. The wall between the kitchen and family room does not have any architectural break, so I continued the red through the end of that wall. I used the darker taupe for the other 2 walls in the family room and the lighter taupe for the walls in the halls, living room, gym and all of the ceilings throughout the house.

I used the deeper blue green in the guest bath and as an accent wall in the bedroom across the hall from the guest bath. I used the lighter blue green for the other 3 walls in that bedroom and for the 2nd guest bedroom.

For the master bedroom and bathroom I used the gray green.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:53PM
Jennifer Hogan
I had a few challenges that you shouldn't experience. The previous owner had picked out floors with a pick undertone and cabinets with a yellow color. Since I could not afford to replace either I went with the only neutral that works with both pink and yellow - Purple undertone. If I went with either the yellow undertone or pink undertone it kind of made you want to throw up.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:58PM
Jennifer Hogan
Bar stools are getting replaced, so please ignore that they are a completely different color pallet and don't work with everything else
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:02PM
bojaby
How will you finish the ceiling? You will remove fluorescent fixtures, right?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:03PM
Jennifer Hogan
My sister's color pallet for her home was based on fall colors. She did an accent room rather than a wall that tied the colors in her furniture.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:16PM
Jennifer Hogan
I hope this has helped. Give more detail on how it is laid out, what colors you want to incorporate and the board will send you lots of suggestions.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 1:19PM
crinell
A sage green colored glass backsplash above your countertop would pick up the colors of your aquarium and the colors on the a joining bathroom wall.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 2:08PM
David Millard
As to the ceilings they will be drop lay in ceilings, I will make a drawing up to show space layout and do pics of other now permanent parts. I built this house so upstairs is everything I picked in first place so.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 4:08PM
PRO
Distinguished Flooring LLC
Engineered wood or vinyl plank may work for you
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 4:08PM
Jennifer Hogan
I'll watch for the drawing. Would also help to know the actual paint color you selected for the bathroom. Colors can get weird when viewed on the internet.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:51PM
Cathy Emery
I would do a beautiful dark teal blue almost toward the navy color accent wall behind the bar . That would pop the color of the tank, then a warm beige rest of the room. Use the same accent color in the art work, Maybe even the bar seats to tie it all together.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:05PM
mshine
You don't need an accent wall. That will just detract from the focal point: your gorgeous bar. If you have an accent wall then you are picking the wall that deserves "look at me!, status. A walnut (not espresso) cork would be warm, clean, and organic. Perfect with your bar stone. Re: paint. Take your stone and countertop samples to paint store. Look for a warm beige that works with the undertone of your stones and picks up golden colors in your granite. You can go rich color because you won't have a lot of natural light or will use in evening. Light colors die in low natural light conditions. A color that might be gorgeous is Ben Moore Biscotti, cc-488.
2 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:16PM
PRO
Galleria Place
Awesome basement! Love it.
Check out our great decor or electronics to help. http://www.bargainbacker.com/Electronics_c_3148.html
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:23PM
More Discussions
203 k
Having a problem finding a good 203k Renovation contractor...
how many inches from your bathroom mirror should you hang your sconces
my vanity is 36 inches and my 2 sconces are about 6...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Need help with paint
Is ther a leading paint brand? I am reprinting my...
Fireplace
For some reason this brick fireplace was painted white....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.