Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need advice for living room design
ng999
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need suggestions for how to improve my living space and how to best tie existing items together. If this were your living room, what would you change, buy, move, etc? The back wall is rose colored (not a huge fan) and the other walls are a neutral beige. Open to ALL suggestions (please be specific)! Thank you.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Banarsi Designs
Beautiful room. I would probably consider finding another type of rug and a more elegant coffee table to replace the one that is there. To me, the wall contrasting colors are gorgeous, I wouldn't change them. Maybe some nice curtains to add as well to each window side (while keeping the window space mostly open as it is now).

Best,

Pavel http://www.banarsidesigns.com
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:45AM
AMN
You've got a great start. I would look for a larger rug in a complementary color with a lot of texture or a pattern. Texture will add visual interest and further enrich the look of the room.

All seating furniture should have at least their front legs on the rug.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:48AM
decoenthusiaste
If you're tired of the rose, or never liked it, start with a new, colorful area rug that you love. It should be much larger than the present rug so that all the furniture can sit on it or at least have their front feet on it. Then work the colors from it into your space. We can't see walls 3&4, or we could make better and more thorough suggestions. Floor to ceiling drapery panels at each side of your window would not block the city scape, but would warm and soften the surroundings. Since the window consists of lots of squares, try a round coffee table and possibly a small round side table to place between the chairs. I'd consider moving them to the other side of the rug so they could enjoy the view. Then you could add a nice long upholstered bench in front of the window for more seating. Here are some in different styles and prices. You'll enjoy rug shopping at homedecorators.com.
Sorensen Leather Bench
Sourav Bench-Sourav Bench
Lombard Long Bench
2 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:58AM
ng999
Thank you, everyone!! I agree that the rug is a huge problem. I knew right away that it was wrong, I wish I had just returned it. I am thinking of this table in btw the two chairs: http://www.westelm.com/products/faceted-ceramic-side-table-g736/?pkey=cside-tables-sale&cm_src=side-tables-sale||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_- thoughts?

New coffee is also on the docket!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:03AM
solraven
What a beautiful room! I like the color of the back wall (or at least how it's reading on my monitor which is more orangy). I would paint inside the window well the ceiling or trim color, not the same as the wall color. To me, it looks more finished, and makes the window look even bigger! :) I would put a large cream shag rug and replace the coffee table with something a bit more substantial and lower. It looks taller than the TV stand, which should be the other way around. Do a test run, by using the coffee table as a TV stand, and the tv stand as the coffee table. It should help with the visual.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:08AM
PRO
JWinteriors
Clutter creates chaos. Remove all accessories...paint wall to match other walls (limits your curtain choices)...hang curtains (grommet top to keep the industrial feel) from the ceiling to the floor (95"). Hang them so that they are covering more wall than window. Add an 8 x 10 area rug with some texture and/or color. If you want sophisticated look, do creamy window panels and area rug to match your side chairs. Then add color to your pillows and art. If you want traditional/Renaissance look, add paisley panels, oriental rug, rich colored pillows and throw. Large art that carries those colors. The coffee table is too small. Either a larger glass one for sophisticated look or a dark wooden one for the other look. Now accessorize and place your lighting. Keep accessories large vs small. In first look..less is more. Second look is all about layering. For example, side table would hold a lamp (the large item) then a topiary(the middle height item) then a small box to hold the remote ( the small item) ...you tapper items and mix soft scape (plants, floral) with hard scape (candles, picture frames, etc). Use houzz on every decision. You want to accessorize your coffee table...peruse every picture focusing on what the designer did with their coffee tables. Next, you cant decide on an area rug...do the same thing. Ask yourself the question, what do i like about this rug, what dont i like. Most times in my case, a client is on a budget. I go to Home Goods/Marshalls with an idea of what I want and purchase several. Bring them into the space and see which works the best. Just did that this week, actually. Had 2 from Lowes ( 2 8x10's for $275 and I from Marshalls for $199). We need 2. Worked perfectly. Good luck!
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 9:13AM
PRO
JWinteriors
Can you repaint the whole room a soft gray color? Just noticed the couch color
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:17AM
nononanna
Personally I love the camel of the walls with gray - with cream and black it's really sophisticated. I'd go with drapes in the same camel color. The coffee table is maybe not up to the standard you're looking for, and the tv stand could be higher. Some large abstract art piece over the sofa - if you want to ad an accent color it could be in a print of the drapes, the abstract art piece and followed through with the odd throw pillow.

Also the idea above of moving the chairs to the other side of the sofa and adding a daybed/bench is a good one. that depends, of course, on what is on the other side of the sofa that we can't see.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:41AM
nononanna
Oh, and if you do move the chairs, or maybe even if you don't, it would be useful and good-looking to have a side table on the right of the sofa, maybe with another lamp.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:42AM
groveraxle
Love the room. Would definitely get a larger rug and exchange the coffee table for something more earthy in wood. Remove the pictures from the little wall to the right of the window. No drapes. The undraped window makes a statement all its own.

The only decluttering that might be done is in the media stand. I would prefer to see one with doors that would hide that stuff under the TV.

Here's an organic coffee table:

1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 10:06AM
ng999
Wow thank you, everyone! You have been a tremendous help. Looks like first thing to do is rug, then coffee table. Both items are only a few months old, so maybe I can sell and use that money toward the new items I need. If anyone would like to send me a few links of specific rugs, I'd appreciate it!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 10:20AM
nononanna
You can use them both someplace else, don't you think? Maybe the table as a side table? As far as the rug is concerned, would you consider an animal print or even more and animal skin? A cowhide rug in black and white or even a cow print could be fabulous.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 11:05AM
decoenthusiaste
Here are a couple from homedecorators.com, Found them under Contemporary, but you can shop by style, color, size, material, etc.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 11:18AM
PRO
JWinteriors
Consider the rug that is under the organic coffee table above...It's the one i just purchased from Lowes for just over $300 for the 8 x 10
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:40PM
solraven
If you're bargain hunting, Walmart has an 8x10 ivory shag rug for $125. I got it thinking that if it's crap, it'll serve it's purpose for 6-12 mos, and then I'll replace it with a good one. I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised. It's a really decent rug, and I've received quite a few compliments on it.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 10:34PM
rendah
You need to add draperies. Hang them closer to the ceiling line to elongate the room more. I agree, you need a different area rug. A bigger one and possibly one with a print. Any reason why you want the tv on that wall instead of the wall with the couch? ( just asking)
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 11:37PM
rendah
Also, remove those small pictures near the window; it doesn't improve the room. Instead think of a nice simple, but big art in back of the couch
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 11:40PM
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 10:43AM
ng999
Also, rendah, I cannot move the couch to the opposite wall because the bedroom door is only about a foot from the TV.

I am searching for a large piece of artwork to place above the couch, but having a hard time finding something within budget. I know artwork will improve the room significantly. Hopefully I'll find something soon.

I have another posting for my dining space if any of you would like to advise me on that area, as well. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/344735/Dining-room---starting-from-scratch

Thanks again for your help.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 10:55AM
nononanna
Jonathan Adler has a great zebra rug - you can choose the color! Although if you were interested, you'd probably want black and white
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 12:32PM
solraven
I prefer the ivory shag rug. It keeps the rooms clean and simple, but adds warms and texture. To me, a flat weave, and the big bare and beautiful windows makes the room look too cold. If you go with a flatter weave, then the windows needs something a little heavier, which I feel, would cover them up. Windows like that, should not be covered up! IMHO. :)

As for your dining room, if it fits, I think the flat weave rug would look perfect under a dining table. It's a beautiful rug; it just wasn't right for the living room area.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 12:40PM
PRO
Rethink Renovations
I say no window treatments unless you need privacy, they are a show piece. I think any of the rugs with a print would go a long way. Then a small dark bar height table in the dining room with no rug. Either a rug in the dining room or the living area, but not both. And I love those lounge chairs.. What a great space to work with!
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 8:52PM
ng999
Thanks again, everyone! You've given me many great ideas to work with. Gail - the chairs are from Ikea!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 3:44PM