powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Big open space, need paint color & odd space by stairs.
Theresa Shafer
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Love your ideas for new area rug color, purchasing a new chair and paint color for this open great room. tile is kitchen backsplash that you can see from every one. Also I have NO idea what to do with this odd little space by the stairs. Very narrow & deep.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Theresa Shafer
Here is a link to more photos...http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/7431319/thumbs/house
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:58AM
decoenthusiaste
This one is a bit larger than your space and it looks like you may have a coat closet, but just putting coat hooks might be a practical use for it. Personally, I'd hang a large, colorful piece of art there to be seen by those who enter and those who use the stairs. Below, between the closet and stairwell baseboard area, set a nice container with greenery or a silk floral arrangement.

0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:16AM
joannpb
I think a small pedestal table would help that empty space by the stairs - the sort of thing one might put their keys or mail on, or a small bowl of flowers.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:18AM
lefty47
HI -- This is a nice space , but why do builders do this and leave these odd little left over areas for people to struggle with ?? That space could have just gone to the width of the stairs or part of the closet . It would look better to have the lower stairs that width or if you need some storage maybe for shoes (wine ?) just have a small narrow cabinet there , one of those pull out kinds that are seen in kitchens .They may have something like that in a closet company, or get one built . Now I think I can see the color for your room in the tiles . Do you see the one that stands out right in the center ? - that kind of rusty copper orange one ,-- I think that would bring some life into the room. It would go with everything you have that I see in the photos.. Keep the choice of an area rug more to the neutrals , then it go with everything and same for the chair . Now you could do this either way , like find a rug you like first and then get your colors from that or pick your wall color and so on from the tiles . I think the tiles have lots of color options to go by .
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 9:35AM
4resas
Its beautiful. I think you should pick up on the rust colors in tile, like this rug. You can put a tall vase in your nook.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 10:07AM
lefty47
HI -- Added note : If you decide to add a cabinet in that space then remove the stair side wall it's not needed ,then you will have about 4 1/2 inches more space.
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 6:07PM
Theresa Shafer
Thanks everyone!
2 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 10:51AM