powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Our Family dogs always scratch the bedroom doors, any suggestions ?
Johnason Lin
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi everyone,

Was wondering if anyone could give us some advice on what material we should attach onto the existing wooden door so that its not afraid of our dogs scratching it and yet still looks good.

Any thoughts or insights would help thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mcbride2304
What about some clear plastic?
February 11, 2013 at 9:53am     
feeny
May I suggest a different strategy? Tape cardboard to the door temporarily and then never, ever respond to your dogs' scratchings no matter how long they persist. Once they (eventually) realize their behavior isn't ever rewarded by the opening of the door, they will learn not to scratch. If you want to train them to use a different signal, you could put a bell on a string for them to ring and teach them that the door opens when they do that, rather than scratching. But I suspect you would prefer that they not beg to come in at all, in which case non-response is the best solution. It will take awhile, however, to break their habit. If you want to speed up the process, try making a loud noise they don't like every time they scratch.
February 11, 2013 at 10:00am     
Regina Rogowskyj
Is this upstairs? You could put a gate downstairs - thats what we have. The dogs stay in main level of the house.
February 11, 2013 at 10:10am     
PRO
Granite Grannies
I use a plexiglass plate lightly glued on the areas of my doors where my dogs scratch. It's made a world of difference, and it's not very noticeable. Although, it looks like yours scratch the whole bottom; mine seem to only scratch the area right under the knob.
February 11, 2013 at 10:21am     
Regina Rogowskyj
They are probably small dogs. Mine also scratch right under the door knobs (labs)
February 11, 2013 at 10:35am     
PRO
Ciaran Dwyer
Keep the dogs outside!
February 11, 2013 at 10:43am     
Johnason Lin
Okay, I love the idea of the cardboard and teaching them to ring the bell. But when you have 2 kids and work and then add 2 dogs in the family, I personally don't really have much beer time to myself...

They are small dogs, 2 of them and are very spoiled !! I am thinking about making a pet door on the bedroom door, because the bedroom door has an auto closed hinge so it will auto close when I open.
February 12, 2013 at 12:14pm   
tennisanyone
First use lemon oil to get rid of the scratches.
February 12, 2013 at 12:18pm     
tallyhill
I'm with Ciaran...can't understand the whole "animal in the house then mystified why they don't behave perfectly" dilemma.

Dog is a fine meal. LOL.
February 12, 2013 at 12:21pm     
nasmijati
I agree that plexiglass will protect the door.
February 12, 2013 at 12:42pm     
groveraxle
I realized, when I fell in love with my first dog many moons ago, that dogs and a perfect house were mutually exclusive. I made the decision then that the dogs give me more pleasure than the scratches and poop and hair take away.
February 12, 2013 at 1:24pm     
tomda
I put a piece of stainless steel on mine. It works great, and it doesn't look too bad.
February 12, 2013 at 1:27pm   
mcbride2304
Must make a racket, tho!
February 12, 2013 at 8:44pm   
curacaoblue
I agree with groveraxle. We have cats which are relatively well behaved but once in a while they damage something and I have to remind myself that's what animals do and it was my choice to take them into our home. The joy they bring us outweighs the occasional tear in furniture. We did move into a house that had a cat door on the bedroom which we intended to replace but its funny to watch the cats play with it going in and out so we kept it. Animals like to be with you. We accepted long ago that closing them out of a room wasn't an option. They think its their house and we are the guests lol!
February 12, 2013 at 8:53pm     
aquinna
just admit it we love our dogs and we tolerate their hair balls and scratches. It's loosing battle.
February 12, 2013 at 9:08pm     
janishill
Feeny had the best idea; cardboard...however it seems you don't have the time to train them, so you could just ay a large book down flat to keep the door from closing all the way. The dogs can walk over it and into the bedroom.
February 12, 2013 at 9:18pm   
Elise
Cardboard and a bell is a great idea. Another option is use an ultrasonic whistle when they are scratching. It will not hurt them, but will discourage them if you are consistent in the application.
February 12, 2013 at 9:46pm   
PRO
ASVInteriors
How about trying this and letting us know if it works? http://www.scratchnscram.com/
February 13, 2013 at 1:47am   
carole
it is a shame,but it is only a door,still you can retrain the dog or get a real oak door!!
February 13, 2013 at 4:10am   
bojaby
Do you really have to close the door? I sleep with my door open, dress in the bathroom and only shut the door when absolutely necessary. If kids and dogs are coming in anyway, why close the door?
February 13, 2013 at 1:31pm     
Maria Guarriello
There's a double-sided sticky tape I bought to keep my two cats from scratching the doors and furniture. You just put it where they scratch, and they stay away because they don't like the sticky feel. I guess it would work for dogs too? The tape does not damage anything. You can pull it right off.
February 13, 2013 at 1:49pm