Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help with chair suggestions
ngcurt
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are moving to a house we are building in a coastal area. We want to change our look to something more coastal and not too formal and definitely more updated. One thing I plan to keep is this antique dining table but I am stumped for what to do about chairs. We have big men in our family so nothing too fragile. I like upholstered seats but not necessarily upholstered backs (I like to change the fabrics myself). Would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ryanlau000
How about slip overs iover your current chairs a light durable fabric?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 10:06AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
It depends on how the men in your family like to seat themselves, but this could be a fun solution - particularly the colours for a coastal area (and the covers are removable so you can change them out). This is IKEA so a simple but sturdy solution...
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 10:10AM
DIAspoton
nice table and you're right , nothing dainty will do .i'd find some wonderful slipcovers. replace 2 of the chairs with a deacons bench painted in a the light grey,cream or white.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 10:21AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Did you ever consider parson chairs?
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 10:23AM
creativetkr
Love the table. Would you consider painted chairs? Stanley Furniture has a great coastal living collection. Maybe a light teal or sea glass green chair with your great table. Or if you are not attached to the ones you have consider painting them and changing the seat covers to a peaceful coordinating fabric. I am sorry because I think we are all hearing the paint it answer all the time. But it works for a fresh approach without spending the money of new chairs. For durability you can have them professionally lacquered. I recently did the same. Then add a sisal rug and you have a new beach look.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 10:25AM
ngcurt
I have been looking and looking at those Stanley chairs, wasn't sure about them from a style standpoint. Defiinitely painted chairs are a viable option, and actually think the lacquer idea might be intriguing, tho don't think my husband (a woodworker, but not a chair builder!) would ever let me do that to those chairs:) My son also suggested a bench and I agree it would look great, but we are getting on in years now, and think our friends appreciate back support:)
I am not really planning on keeping any of the other furnishings you see in the picture, tho I may paint the buffet and change the hardware - need the storage, it is solid wood and really can't replace the quality. Thanks!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 10:32AM
creativetkr
I love the Stanley collection. There are some companies in the NE that have other chairs, you would need a larger scaled chair. I understand your husbands feelings we have a number of finished craftsman in our family. I have painted a few older pieces especially if they were not solid. Your table has so much decorative design I would stick to chairs that do not compete. You want to draw attention to the table.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 10:46AM
ngcurt
Barbara, I do think parsons chairs would probably look the best - have held off because of the formality, but maybe in a fun fabric I could be happy! Thanks very much
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 11:30AM
DIAspoton
browse this sight at dining rooms/deacons bench and you'll see several examples of benches with backs used with dining tables. a built in banquet for 2 or 3 seats is another option.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:14PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Yes, it is all about the fabric. They are more formal if skirted, so maybe no skirt.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:31PM
decoenthusiaste
Here are some thoughts... slip covers, tie-on cushions and beach pastel paint colors.
Bayshores Drive
Weyand Residence
2 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:38PM
joannpb
You might search office furniture sites. They tend to have some nice looking visitors' chairs for the executive office, that would make good, sturdy dining chairs.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:55PM
Peta Walter
These chairs balance the table quite well. Have you thought about rubbing them back, good primer coat and then a gloss enamel spray in a colour that will match the theme of your new home. Some great new fabric in an aged linen or funk it up with written print. Would be a very cheap alternative to new...think outside the box and maybe give them a new life :)
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:14PM
ngcurt
Peta, thanks for your comment. Yes, we felt lucky when we found these chairs at a flea market many years ago, but think I am ready for a change...and my husband would never let me paint them:)
Thanks to all for your helpful comments, I really appreciate them!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Need paint color ideas
I am looking for paint color ideas for my living room....
Replacing diamond lead glass windows
I am adding an addition to my Austrian Chalet Style...
Any suggestions for finishing my kitchen/living room
Hi all! I have been working on my kitchen for a while...
Coffee table/ ottoman/ furniture arrangement advice, please!
Hello Houzzers, Our living area is sort of L-shaped...
How "Real" are Home Improvement Reality Shows?
Most folks begin planning a remodeling project by watching...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.