powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Can't Decide Between Two Hardwood Floor Colors! Left or Right?
Sarah Willard
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My husband and I are down to two different hardwood floor colors, and we are each dead set on the one we like. So I thought it would be a good idea to consult the community of knowledgeable people on houzz to help settle the matter. :)

Here is some background information:
- The floors will be installed throughout the entire first floor (excluding Bedrooms): Entry, Dining Room, Hallways, Kitchen, Breakfast Nook, & Living Room.
- We have practically no furniture (newlyweds), so furniture is not being considered as a deciding factor.
- Our cabinets are going to be refinished to Antique White, which is probably the biggest consideration.
- My husband and I both like the cottage/rustic look, hence, the Antique White Cabinets.

Our thoughts:
- My husband likes the Right because the texture of the floor is more distressed.
- I like the Left more because the color is more of a "true brown". I feel that the Right is too red, although I do like that it is a bit more distressed.

All opinions and feedback are welcome! I appreciate it! Let me know if you have any questions!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
shrobi77
I agree with you, the one on the left is a great choice and I believe it will give you more options for walls and furniture colors. Please pst when you finish.
February 10, 2013 at 10:07am     
mmilos
Both are nice. I like the right. To me it looks richer.
February 10, 2013 at 10:07am     
PRO
Wynter Interiors Inc
I'm going for the right...the rich depth of color in the wood; coupled with the additional texture offer greater design interest.
February 10, 2013 at 10:09am     
seanstewart
They're both nice and will work well with different styles. Theres not enough difference to make either a hard call - Your call.
February 10, 2013 at 10:10am     
bonnielynn75
I think either sample would work just fine and that you have a lifetime of learning to give and take ahead!
February 10, 2013 at 10:11am     
Kim Payne
I really do like both, my husband and I both like the rustic look as well. I agree with you though and the one on the left is best. I think up against the white cabinets it will be better because the other one will show more red against the white.
February 10, 2013 at 10:18am     
PRO
JOPLIN FLOOR DESIGNS INC
As an interior decorator who also co -owns a flooring store - there are certain things to consider. I am assuming these are the same brand of products - so color is the only issue. Remember this is a small sample and in a LARGE space there may be even more variations in BOTH samples. The one on the right will probably lend itself to a more "rustic" look as it has more variations than the one on the left - however as stated - they could both vary a lot when installed in a large space. If the store where you are buying it from could show you some photos of each installed and how they look when down in the room - that might help you!!
February 10, 2013 at 10:19am     
Sarah Willard
I wanted to thank everyone for your input! After we were assured by the manufacturer that the left would have the same hand scraped variation that the right has, we decided to go with the left one. They were both from the same line within the same brand, so it was just the sample that differed a little bit.

They are putting in the floors right now, so I will put up pictures when they're finished!
February 22, 2013 at 7:41am   
Sarah Willard
I forgot to add the "after" picture so I've included that below! I just wanted to add it in case anyone searches for a similar "design dilemma".

The hardwood we went with is called "Prado" from Regal Hardwoods. We are very happy with the result, and the manufacturer proved to be correct in telling us that there would be a lot of of distressed/rustic variation in the wood (which is what we wanted).
April 28, 2013 at 7:56am