powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need to add something to our living room but not sure what.
robro
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have to much brown and would like to add some color by adding some pillows, just not sure what kind or color.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
February 10, 2013 at 11:09am   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Adding color with throw pillows and accessories will help. Maybe adding a new larger rug and with more pattern and color would liven up the space. Then adding the pops of color from the rug with coordinating pillows, artwork and accessories.
February 10, 2013 at 11:19am     
PRO
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
You have a nice basic setup that's just waiting for art and accents. The color? Whatever hues you like, so long as they flow with any adjacent spaces. (and can't really tell the full layout of the home from these particular photos). I like the rug, but it could stand to be a little larger... try going to the next size up. Don't buy anything else that's dark, or brown. Drapes or lamps could also be swapped out for something more colorful, if desired. You can see a full list of suggestions for this particular dilemma here: http://www.PaintColorHelp.com/html/brown_overload.html
February 10, 2013 at 11:21am   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
You have a great start. First choose a new, larger, colorful, patterned rug. Sofa & chair front legs should be on the rug. From that choose colors for bright pillows for sofa & chair. Move the tables & lamps from the door sides and place on either side of the sofa..Or the far side of the sofa and the opposite far side of the loveseat. Maybe 2 tall green plants in large pots on either side of door. Add another small chair with legs, not overstuffed, angled into the room to the left of the TV unit. A few, tall items on top of the TV unit (large basket, large plate on stand, small green plant, and large art work on the walls.
February 10, 2013 at 11:23am     
PRO
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
I also might paint the inside of your door a fun color, drawn from whatever accessories you end up purchasing. Just for that one little surprise of color.
February 10, 2013 at 11:26am   
decoenthusiaste
Gabberts Design has the right approach. Your area rug is bland and small. Check out rugs online at homedecorators.com to find a much larger rug, so all the front feet of the seating can sit on it. Look for bright color and pattern and then base other accessories, art, pillows, throws on the colors in the rug!
Marina Living Room
Family Room with Brown Sofa
February 10, 2013 at 11:26am   
darleneaut
Good start.

Next I would paint the banister and iron same color as walls, they will "disappear" visually. Agree with all rug is tool small, and also such a contrast to all other colors that it becomes what you "see" in the room now. Larger rug, perhaps in a more muted color/pattern, as mentioned by others will "ground" the room.

Try using coffee table next to sofa, and put chair right up against it. It becomes onewhole unit.

Lighting will help. You can do a "wall wash " light for the wall behind the tv unit.

A large print/painting in similar tones would work on far wall passed the banister.

Framed photos and accessories will add another visual layer. Books magazines on end table.

Space really can use plants to soften look. As mentioned by others plant on top of tv unit , hanging down it's side and large plant, perhaps next to tv unit.

It is a thin line between just enough and too much in a room decor. Go slowly, testing each of the other suggestions before buying everything. Less is More.
February 10, 2013 at 11:40am   
Manon Floreat
Beautiful choices, Gillian! I found a suzani that might work as well. It features the warm colors of rust, camel and ivory.

You've done a really nice job with your space. It looks very comfortable. I'll encourage you to look into getting some art for your walls. That's another way to bring in some color.
February 10, 2013 at 11:41am   
Manon Floreat
Oh! I see there have been many great contributions while I was looking for pillows.
February 10, 2013 at 11:43am   
Kim D
I love what you have so far. I always add at least one house plant to each room also a colorful throw and bright art work might be nice additions.
February 10, 2013 at 11:51am