Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help for my living and dining room
patpm
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
my furniture is chocolate simple and minimal, i need suggestions for color on the walls and rugs it´s a huge space 90m2
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Could you give us a picture with your back to the window so we can see the rest of the related space?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 11:44AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Would it be possible to see your furniture pieces that you will use in this space?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 11:47AM
PRO
Luxurious Finds
If your furniture is chocolate and the space is large, you need to choose an accent color - most rooms do better with 3 colors - main color, secondary color, and an accent color- such as cream, brown and blue, or cream, brown and red (pillows and area rug colors) - accessories will make the space pop. If you need more help call Luxurious Finds 407-923-6784.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 11:48AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
When you have monochromatic furniture, I always suggest a colorful patterned rug, or in this case rugs. Once you choose rugs, colors for walls & ceiling will be much easier. They will also have to be quite large in scale. Rugs that you like are hard to find..there are thousands of paint colors, so always choose your paint last.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 11:52AM
patpm
to de left is the kitchen and to the right the bedrooms
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 11:55AM
patpm
my current apartment, half the size I´m moving in
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 12:09PM
patpm
I had chocolate, with accents in orange and purple but I want to try another combinations
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:15PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
What an absolutely fantastic space! Will this space be, dining area..conversational area..TV watching area? Define each space by a very large rug. This is the hardest part, but to me it needs to be the first step. These rugs could all be the same...or, if not at least related. You will also want these rugs for sound absorption.

Dining room on the left..you will need a very large impressive light fixture, and on the side wall, a long high solid credenza/console to be used as a serving area (this could run almost the length of the wall.. on the one end nearest the walk area, I would use as a bar area, even with shelves, wine rack over it at that end. Maybe centered with the light fixture a tall wide framed mirror. The other end very large art over it on the wall..Am I going on too much..just say so.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 12:19PM
patpm
as I´ll have plenty of space.... would you use perhaps 2 livings in the same area????
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:30PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I think I would do dining on the left, group seating in the middle, and TV unit, storage..shelves, doors etc on the far right wall, with a seating group aimed at it.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 12:42PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Both of the side walls need to be "used up" in other words, filled with furniture and bulk that goes up the wall and/or other items..it will balance the wall of windows, while fantastic, overpowers the room.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 12:44PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
When you get to the paint..last item...paint the walls & ceiling all the same color..it will visually raise the ceiling height to give the room more balance, rather than long and low.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 12:46PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Above, I stopped after describing a dining area because I didn't want to bore you if you had no interest, but if you do, I will "march" across the space. You see, I can see the space completed..and it is spectacular.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 12:48PM
patpm
I really appreciate all the help you´ve given me! now I know how to start, thank you to you all
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:04PM
patpm
please don´t stop comments.... it´s fantastic to hear from professionals
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:10PM
tsal
What a wonderful space and nice view....
What style of design do you like? Modern, minimalist, traditional? It really depends where your tastes lay what options you might choose.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:14PM
patpm
love modern style!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:53PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Well..To the far right wall start with filling the wall space with storage and place for your TV, again add large art , shelves, etc. Large rug..arrange your furniture to the TV and conversation..keep it cozy. I cannot tell from your picture if you have matching sofas, if yes, only face one to the TV and the other back to back with it into the middle area with 2 more lighter chairs opposing it.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 1:56PM
kayellin
Some large trees/plants would look good in this space...they don't have to be real. Hope to see it finished!
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 2:04PM
bollmansct
Love your view!!! what a spectacular window view..... I suggest you go rug shopping first. If your furniture is minimalist, then you can add a large rug, perhaps with a simple but bold splash of color. Find something you love. Then you can pick complimentary wall colors from there. With chocolate furniture you have lots of color options. Since you have done orange/purple, try blue....perhaps light blue or steel blue.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:09PM
bollmansct
Also - you have a great canvas in those walls for some large art pieces, if you have them. A grouping or a few large ones would be wonderful.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:13PM
Jay Van Daley
I would add more, but Barbara Griffith Designs has given you a lot of great ideas! What an awesome view, too.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:13PM
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
If you were going to do anything on the windows, I think ripplefold sheers would be a knockout. Motorize them if you can...
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 2:25PM
PRO
JMittman Designs
Agree with Julie Thome Draperies on the windows. Below is one of my favorite pics on Houzz. Perfect for your windows. Fabulous space!

1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 4:25PM
rinqreation
Turquoise, white and chrome. They will liven up the chocolate. What a space!
2 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 1:36AM
patpm
thanks, you have any photos of this combination?
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 7:26PM
anthip
Gorgeous space. Where are you based?
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 12:37AM
patpm
México City, an apartament of 450 m2
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
Window To Nowhere - Ideas?
Here is your design challenge. I am starting a rehab...
what colour?
really happy with grey roof but what colour should...
Best Dishwasher?
Have you tried different kinds or brands of dishwashers?...
Need refrigerator advice
I need to replace a refrigerator. SO does not like...
Our New Patio.
Hi Everyone! We just purchased this home a few months...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.