Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Cider block basement walls
Lauren Rupe
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help with finishing my basement. We currently have white cinderblock walls. We could put up drywall, but I wanted to see if anyone had seen cool basements where they did something with their cinder block walls. It would speed up our basement project a lot if we didn't have to do much to the walls. Any suggestions or pictures would be fabulous! Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
4resas
It looks like you have a moisture issue with the bottom row of block. You need to fix that before you do anything else. If your style is MCM there are sculptural panels or wood that you can glue right to it. If not you can try barn wood wall paper, it MAY go over the wall OK, especially if you run it horizontally. If it isn't a hall you can run storage cubes all along the front.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:49PM
joannpb
The same sort of stucco that is used on a house exterior can be used to produce a "French country" plaster effect on cement block. If that's a good style for you, it looks awsome.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:08PM
4resas
Venetian plaster or wood blocks?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 5:17PM
twylahaj
You definitely need to take care of the water issue first. If not, anything you do will be throwing away your hard earned money. Even seemingly minor dampness that is only occasional is going to be a problem and covering over the walls without mitigating the problem will make things worse later on as you'll likely get mold in between the cinderblock and wall material.

My hubby spent a huge amount of time and a good bit of money applying two coats of colored dryloc to our basement walls and an epoxy paint (like in garages) to the floor. He scraped and wire brushed the previous layers of stuff, filled every hole and crack, ground down uneven areas after they dried and then applied the dryloc and finally painted the floor. It helped a great deal; we still get a little water sometimes...but now it's from the windows! SIGH...

Once you're solved the water issue, the sculptural panels that 4resas posted look really cool.... I'd avoid drywall in a basement unless you go with a special type for damp areas. Drywall works kind of like a wick for water - ask anyone who recently went through Superstorm Sandy....
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 5:30PM