Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Family room design
tfarias
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I can't put my finger on it but I am not happy with my family room.
I want a WOW factor. I want to keep the paint. We are in the market for a new sofa and loveseat. We will hang the TV. Thinking new window treatments. Would love advice.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
AMN
The only thing I'd change (or at least the first thing I'd try) is switching the window coverings. The valence does nothing for the room. It seems to date it a little bit. Nice, rich drapes in a fine fabric flanking the window, set on a beautiful rod will be sufficient. When you get new drapery panels, make sure you get enough to make it look like they can spread across the window if you were to close them. Right now, they look a bit sparse. I know you have to mind the fireplace with it being so close, but I'm confident you'll be able to fit double panels in there.

If it were me, I would not hang the TV. I like it much better on the cabinet as-is.

Look into a rug that has more impact, is slightly more modern, or a traditional one that has unique-but-complementary colors to the room. Looks like you need a little bit larger one.

New couches might help, but I think the current ones look ok. Kinda dark in these pics, so it's hard to tell.
February 10, 2013 at 12:47pm     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
You need the same drapery, panels only, on both windows. The dining rug is too small, and the living space rug is really too small..it needs to end up closer to the TV. Maybe even move the entire seating area just a little closer to the TV wall. Change out the chair to the left of the TV to be larger, over stuffed & with an ottoman. It will help tie this wall to the rest of the room..which is a big part of the problem. Picture over the fireplace needs to be larger with less little stuff around it. Find a nice long & narrow piece of iron sculpture to hang above the TV to give it some height. Agree, don't hang TV on wall..frankly, it is never a good idea. If you can..add some crown molding.
February 10, 2013 at 1:02pm     
tfarias
Thank you for your comments. With the drapes would you flank the window on each side instead of 4 separate drapes where the wall divides the windows? Yes, the fireplace makes it difficult for hanging drapes. Would you take the rod close to the celing or keep them the same height as the nook drapes? Would you change the drapes in the nook too?
decoenthusiaste
You might get some wow at the window! It looks to be recessed enough to install a window seat or, if not recessed, a bench all across. Not exactly a good picture of it, so I'm guessing. Remove the curtains and use fabric or woven romans (inside mount) with a nice panel hung outside the recess. Mount a decorative rod as close to the ceiling as you can and let the panels fall to the floor.Do the other windows and slider the same. Great opportunity to pick a fabulous fabric. Then you can carry some of it to your sofa in pillows. Have you considered a sectional and your leather side chair? Place the sectional facing the window with the armchair angled by the fireplace. You could up the wow factor with crown molding too. The mantel could use less stuff. There are too many topiarys for my taste throughout both spaces. Have you tried the clock there or is it to large? A new drum chandy in both the living room and dining could add some wow too.
Lombard Long Bench
Sorensen Leather Bench
Galbraith and Paul Smokebush Medium Pendant
tfarias
Thank you everyone for the comments. Where is a good place to shop for window treatments? Smith and Noble is the only one I have ordered from online.
February 10, 2013 at 1:12pm   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
The best source for draperies is an interior designer who will help you find the right fabric and the right style for your windows. I would hang 4 panels from just below the ceiling.

I would also rearrange your furniture. Here's what I suggest:
1. Get rid of the smaller of the two sofas.
2. Replace it with two comfortable chairs, but place them on the opposite end of the sofa where there is currently a chair and ottoman. Put a round table between the two chairs.
3. Move the chair and ottoman to where the smaller sofa was.
4. Now we're going to shift everything four or five feet closer to the TV. Or at least that's what I think will work well for you.

I agree that you need a larger rug in both areas where you have them. There's an enormous amount of space between your seating group and the TV. Changing to a bigger rug and moving the furniture will help that problem.

I also agree that you need just a bigger piece of art over the fireplace, and little if anything else. I would decrease the number of topiaries and other silk plants that you have. You have a beautiful home that will gain some wow factor with just a few changes. Since you're anticipating replacing some of your furniture, it seems like the perfect time for you to find a good interior designer who will not only help you create the look you want, but she or he is also likely to be able to help you save money by avoiding costly design mistakes.
February 10, 2013 at 1:32pm     
tfarias
Awesome suggestions thank you so much! Would you suggest me getting a larger sofa than I currently have or keep a size close to what I currently have?
February 10, 2013 at 2:25pm   
tfarias
Something else I have been contemplating is adding on the sides and hutch to the current console that I have to fill in the wall because of the higher ceilings. What is your thoughts on this? I have been struggling with this and not sure I want to fork out the $$ for it.
February 10, 2013 at 2:29pm   
tfarias
Carolyn you mentioned moving my chair and ottoman where the window is. What else would I do in that area? I currently have the loveseat and a sofa table with decor on it.
February 10, 2013 at 2:33pm   
PRO
Maple and Main Gallery of Fine Art
For what it's worth, I think it looks warm and inviting, nice wall color, and you have some good advice here with the decorators, getting rid of the valence, bring in more light perhaps? Maybe a bit too much with on the tall chest and mantle.
February 10, 2013 at 2:43pm     
groveraxle
It's going to be a beautiful room once you clear it out so we can see it. Make all your drapes look like those in the dining area. Clear everything off every horizontal surface--tables, mantel, hearth, chests, window sill.

Remove the big clock between the windows. See if it's the right size for over the fireplace. Do not hang anything over the TV. The pictures to the left are ok, but could stand to be lowered a bit. Remove that scroll-y iron thing from over the paintings.

Live with it that way for a week or two, and then if you absolutely must have a topiary, try bringing in one for a corner on the floor. Simplify, simplify, simplify. Let the beauty of the room shine without all the foo foo bits.
February 10, 2013 at 2:57pm     
PRO
I would move the sofa table to in front of the windows, having removed most of what is on it. You may want a lamp there for evening use. You should have plenty of space once the furniture is moved closer to the TV. I think your sofa size is fine, but your interior designer will be able to help you determine what size furniture you need to purchase. It's part of what we do and it's also the reason we can save you money. You will not buy furniture that does not fit properly. You will not buy accessories that you do not need. You'll buy a rugs that are the right size.
February 10, 2013 at 3:12pm     
PRO
I would NOT increase the size of the TV console.
February 10, 2013 at 3:15pm   
cjohnston
tfarias, you have great furnishings! What I'm envisioning looking at your pictures is having the whole seating arrangement placed at a diagonal, with the large sofa facing the fireplace. I have been in the same place as you, unhappy with our family room, but not sure how to proceed. Our designer had us put our seating on a diagonal, and it really opened things up. Our TV is basically in the same place that you have yours, and with our seating on the diagonal, there are still good viewing angles from every seat. Maybe it will work for you, too.
February 10, 2013 at 3:55pm   
tfarias
Thank you cjohnston....I have not thought of that.
February 10, 2013 at 4:06pm   
adelejuiamorris
I see too much clutter. Remove stuff from window ledge and install cushions. The drapes are too dark and dressy, try simple linen panels without a valance. Paint the walls cream or sand. The rugs are too small. The room has a stifling look so lighten it up and cool it off.
February 10, 2013 at 4:15pm     
PRO
cjohnston is right. With an angled firepplace, sometimes the best arrangement involves angling the furniture the same way the FP is situated, and then placing the TV off to the side. That may work better, or not, but worth trying. I wish you were in Austin. I'd certainly like to help you.
February 10, 2013 at 5:12pm     
tfarias
Carolyn, so the TV could stay in the same location? The only thing I would be concerned about with this arrangement is people would see the back of the sofa when they entered the house. I could put a sofa table behind it....right? I tend to fill things up as you can see. Then where would you place the chair and ottoman...still by the windows? And then I would need only 1 chair on the opposite side of the windows? I would love help too. All this does help. Thank you!
February 10, 2013 at 5:23pm     
ckcraig
Other suggestions are great & I would just suggest a different rug that livens it up a little more. What a great room to have right off the kitchen. So much space! I love it.
February 10, 2013 at 5:38pm     
PRO
I don't know the answers to some of these questions without seeing the house. But, yes, a sofa table could go behind the sofa that, God forbid, might have its back to people. Why is it okay for chairs to have their backs to people, but not sofas? Sometimes it doesn't look right, and sometimes it just doesn't matter. But I keep hearing that it's a RULE, yes, with capital letters! I declare it to be a sometimes rule.
February 10, 2013 at 5:38pm     
tfarias
Thank you all for your comments this is really helping me.
@ckcraig ~ do you think a shag rug would liven things up? I think it could use the texture but if you have another suggestion I would love to hear it.
February 10, 2013 at 7:27pm   
More Discussions
HELP!! Decorating for the first time!! (Living room)
Hi, i recently decided that i have to decorate my new...
Recycled materials for a desk.
Greetings, fellow designers! I have finally got...
Help for house colors and curb appeal
Hey all! My brother in law and I just took down a pretty...
What do I do with this GAUDY Rococo Bedroom Set? Help
So, very good friends of mine moved to the Yucatan....
Door to Door Sales / Soliciting?
Do you get solicitors at your door in your neighborhood?...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.