powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Paint or stain existing beams and built in hutch and bar?
cstultz50
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a living room /dining room combination that I am wanting to change the color of my beams, a built in hutch and bar. Do I paint them or stain them? I have cherry window molding through out the room that is currently a warm medium wood stain, so whatever different stain I choose for the beams and built ins needs to blend in properly. I was thinking of adding in a warm grey glaze or stain but am not sure if all of it would blend in together in one room.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Hi cstultz -- Your multiple hues of neutrals are working for you. I want to save you either endless hours of work or an enormous painting budget, because all I think you need is to put your "beam brown" behind your enchanting trio. It would highlight them and make sense of the color of those great looking beams, and the ladies are wearing all of your colors including the browns, making it look intentional and cohesive. Perhaps a larger fire screen and wow! (Scroll over photo to see it with the beams...)
February 11, 2013 at 2:25pm     
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
cstultz50
Thanks so much for the response...I was thinking I had too much brown in my room and was considering pulling the grey hues from the wall into the room and painting the beams a warm gray but maybe not. I have a lot of the brown woodwork all over my house and since I am getting rid of the "popcorn" ceiling I thought it would be my chance to look at some options. But maybe not....
February 11, 2013 at 3:08pm   
More Discussions
lack luster living room with fantastic view.
I'm at a loss as to how to jazz up my living room using...
Ugly bed dilemma
My in-laws gave us their old bed frame to use in our...
Need help with curb appeal with side entrance
Need help and/or ideas for improving curb appeal and...
Don't want to resort to a TV above the fireplace
I've just moved into my home and there are lots of...
What topics would you like to see more of?
Now that the shiny new Houzz UK has launched, we want...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.