Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How difficult will it be to move an interior door 12 inches
sethrobyn
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just purchased this home for our retirement and we are remodeling the small kitchen. This door is taking up valuable space we can use in the kitchen. We would like to keep the door and moving it will give a better flow from the back door through the kitchen to the living room. One important note is that the kitchen is dry walled and the living room is plaster. LOL! You can see by the picture why the kitchen is getting updated! Will this be a major undertaking?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
It involves a little bit of framing and patching of drywall and plaster. What are your concerns?
February 10, 2013 at 3:08PM   
PRO
Dytecture
Moving the door shouldn't be an issue, my question is what are you gaining with only shifting 12 inches of the current door location ?
February 10, 2013 at 3:11PM     
sethrobyn
I'm concerned because it is a load bearing wall and what I will run into trying to match drywall with plaster. Moving the door will allow me to have my counter with stools and not block the doorway. Also another foot for more cupboards. The actual kitchen is only 9' 10" by 7'5" by 6'. Would give me another foot on the wall that is 6'.
February 10, 2013 at 5:57PM   
lefty47
HI -- You might be doing a lot just to gain a little . Maybe you should post some more photos and measurements about your kitchen and the wall in question . Maybe if we discussed the kitchen layout plan , there might be another way to get you more storage . If you want to try.
February 10, 2013 at 6:20PM     
twylahaj
Changing a load bearing wall is a pretty big deal, I believe, and matching plaster with modern materials is nearly impossible. (I tried in a house I used to own.) Not sure where you're wanting counter with stools as I don't see one in the photos, but perhaps it's something you're wanting to add? If so, you might consider a drop leaf counter. You can get folding stools from IKEA that could stash somewhere when not in use. This would allow you to leave the door where it is an work around it, which might be easier.
February 10, 2013 at 6:55PM   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Norm is right about the framing change, load bearing wall or not. Shoring and changing an opening is NBD. Plaster repair is a specialized field and a good plasterer will make an unidentifiable repair in a day. Their are still plasterers around, actually new ones all the time because of the rise in popularity of Venetian plaster and stucco (stucco guys are plasterers by trade). I agree it is not a job for a novice or with "modern" materials. Use the real thing and it works like a charm. Still, it's not as cheap as doing nothing.
February 10, 2013 at 7:04PM     
sethrobyn
I will send all the measurements and more pictures this evening. Thanks!
February 11, 2013 at 4:22AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.