powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I would like to ask the community for feedback on this design.
ianfeldman
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am open to all suggestions. Sorry it's in color it was sent to me from older version of cad.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Amal Abdallahi
i don't know your style, but i found it outdated is that what you want?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:56PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
The color renderings leave a little to be desired (well, OK, a lot). In matters of taste there is no dispute...and you are asking for opinion. Stylistically the house is neither here nor there, it doesn't have a historical connection nor is it modern, contemporary...or even transitional. It lacks architectural interest from the exterior and the floor plan seems unnecessarily chopped up. Essentially a big rectangular box with some bits stuck on. I apologize if this is your dream home and I'm stepping on that.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:06PM
annmarie2
Seems as if what appears to be the family room is cut off from the kitchen, and alot of space has been reserved for more formal rooms at the front. Given how most people live these days, I'd suggest the following:

Swap dining room and family room locations, and open family room up to kitchen. This costs you wall space for your fridge, but if you put the main sink in the island and tweak the window, you should be able to get fridge and range on the outside L of the kitchen. If you're concerned about losing all that dining space, make dining/living all one room. That makes the options for tweaking furniture layout more flexible.

What's the room to the right of current dining room? I can't read the layout. If it's office space, do you really need it? Could one of the bedrooms upstairs become office? That gives you more space for kitchen/family room.

The powder room seems a bit far from "public" rooms - if you do formal entertaining, will you want guests going through the kitchen? See if the architect can come up with something more centrally located, and reserve that space for mudroom, laundry and/or pantry storage.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:22PM
ianfeldman
The room off to the dining room is the garage. The dining room is important. We have a large family who join us for many holidays often. There are future plans for a full finished basement with office, guest bedroom and play area.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:43PM
PRO
Dytecture
This is very efficient layout, unfortunately there isn't much design involved, nothing really memorable.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 3:33PM
rawketgrl
I wish I could read the footprint size. It all comes down to have you live. If you like a more formal entertaining style and do it often then the large formal living room and dining room are justified use of square footage. Try not to have any steps into and out of these rooms (this was an old way of separating spaces that is fortunately going out of style). I would however enlarge the foyer/hall and get a half bath in there if this is your style. However if everyone piles into the kitchen great room and spends time together preparing, cooking and cleaning then I would pick a bit more open great room style, without a formal living area. With all the great floor plan sites out there you can definitely find a plan to fit your lifestyle and fit the land or lot restrictions/setbacks etc... Curious why you picked a 1 car garage? is it a size restriction? I would probably try for a 2 car if possible. Or none and put up a separate garage if there is space. Also I might make 1 of the bathrooms upstairs open into a bedroom as well as the hall for a guest suite. Options are nice to have. Looks like a fun project, congratulations on a new home! :D
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 4:14PM
ianfeldman
Square footage is at its max on this 60 x 100 lot. No room for second garage.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
Curb appeal
About to place my bungalow up for rent. Looking for...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Need advice for door color
I am wanting to add some color to the front of my house....
Colours that works with the floor
I just bought a house and the kitchen is stumping me....
AMORE placement
I have 10' ceilings and need help with AMORE signage...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.