powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need help w fabrics for my dining room bench and chairs, help!
annehouse
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Wallpaper is Nina Campbell, Cypress. While the chandelier and paper are a bit more formal I am looking for a casual, eclectic look
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Melinda Mandell
Do you have any higher quality pictures? These are hard to see the details of the room in.

The chandelier and wallpaper are really beautiful, so you are off to a great start! I think that the bench and chairs could use some color and depth to them. The fabric on the bench could definitely be in a darker color family. Look for fun, open patterns that bridge the formality of the background and the eclectic look you love. Starting with a piece of art that catches your eye, or sets the mood for the room is a great way to go. Then pull colors from the art to bring the room together. I could see corals and turquoise accents!

Hospital Home Lottery Fall 2012
Pleasant Valley
Decorate by Holly Becker and Joanna Copestick
Port Bristol Custom
February 10, 2013 at 4:17PM     
PRO
Stamps Design Services
It appears you have some fabric samples, but they are so small. From what I can see, you have 2 solids, a stripe and a floral, is that correct? I would use a stripe or the floral with a solid fabric.
February 10, 2013 at 4:23PM   
annehouse
thanks! great suggestions, here are some more detailed pics
February 10, 2013 at 6:24PM     
kmetzger27
I'd say a solid deep purple would look amazing with the silver and cream.
February 10, 2013 at 7:01PM     
anthip
I like the wallpaper very much but I agree that you need to move away from the samey coloured fabrics you have if you want to go more eclectic.
February 10, 2013 at 7:02PM     
PRO
Stamps Design Services
Here are some interesting fabrics I found, that may (or may not) suit your needs..... I looked for colors that would complement one another, but give a less formal feeling.... I guessed on the colors, because the walls looked taupe in one set and silver in the other :-)
February 10, 2013 at 9:51PM   
PRO
Stamps Design Services
Okay, I hit one fabric twice...lol I really liked the way the first fabric has a watercolor appearance and chose some others to coordinate with a less formal way. All can be ordered online if you do not have this store in your area (as well as swatches).
It is just my opinion, but I think the 1st (chiasko pool) and the 5th (weston chocolate) would give you the look you seem to be going for.
February 10, 2013 at 10:03PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
I agree, would like to see color. Art ideas for inspiration
Love the rooms from Melinda Mandell.
Artwork 1

Artwork 2 Artwork 3
February 11, 2013 at 12:37AM     
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
The wallpaper is beautiful. Yes it is formal as is the chandelier. I dont think you are going to get a satisfactory answer(dispite all the great answers you have already received) to your question because a casual look is going to be hard to pull off with such a formal start. The chairs are also very formal. I think the casual eclectic look is going to be contrived appearing. I would suggest continuing in the same feeling as you have started. I like the bold striped fabric. use it on the chairs. Double cord it or use gimp in any color you like(such as red, seafoam etc.) and then use that same color on the bench as well as drapes for the room. the art work you chose will help to also define the feeling of the room. The looser feeling the art the less formal. Great start.
February 11, 2013 at 3:27AM     
judianna20
Nina, loves birds…this Robert Allen fabric reminds me of her style a bit. You could this at your windows and a quite modern pattern on the chair seats.
Robert Allen's Vintage Plumes Fabric in Jade
Comoda Fabric
February 11, 2013 at 8:21AM     
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Judging by the samples you ahve picked I would propose this one.....similar colors but a departure from the walls....which I LOVE by the way....http://www.zimmer-rohde.com/#/item/1040080817
Your window is lovely. If it were mine I would do flat fabric romans inside mounted on each window, then on the flat outer wall, a large diameter rod with full drapery panels.
Or even this one which they have in your color way. http://www.zimmer-rohde.com/#/item/1015307882
February 11, 2013 at 8:50AM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Fabrics for drapes or chairs. Use color from an artwork for your smaller accessories to create subtle but elegant interest.
Fabrics 1
Fabrics 2
Fabrics 3
February 11, 2013 at 9:28AM   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Susanna, you are shameless! Please let me know if the hint to hubby on Pinterest works!
February 11, 2013 at 10:57AM   
PRO
Susanna
Ha! Ok, Susan, I will keep you posted. Fortunately, he thinks my hints are funny and said it actually takes the stress out of figuring it out. I am shameless :-). So, I guess I married the right guy! We shall see what happens....
February 11, 2013 at 4:38PM     
PRO
Melinda Mandell
I love loroca's suggestion to put a long kidney pillow on the bench! It gives you one more place to have another pattern/color, making the room more layered and collected! Also, lpmenache's suggestion to put a double welt on the chairs is a great way to pull the room together in a custom way! That is a great way to get a "pop" if lacquering the chair frames turns out to be more than you want to spend. I just did a double contrast welt on my client's dining chairs, and we were so happy with the result! See the effect below:

February 11, 2013 at 5:27PM     
PRO
Kevin Twitty- IBB Designer
Out of the ones you have, the middle stripe is my favorite. It keeps it soft and neutral. I love a neutral space dont right!

February 11, 2013 at 5:41PM     
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
How about drapes in a cream or natural linen with a decorative tape on the leading edges and hem line,,like this one? http://www.samuelandsons.com/product.php?itemNo=33860&colorCode=856&action=updateSearchResults&type=results&category%5B%5D=977&keywords=&colorcode=&page=5&limit=24&orderBy=
February 11, 2013 at 6:07PM     
PRO
Color Zen
I actually think a black & white or gray & white, large-scale patterned fabric would look great on the chairs. It would mix things up nicely! Good luck.
February 12, 2013 at 7:53AM     
janforsberg
I like the bench and am looking for something similar. Where did you purchase it?
February 12, 2013 at 12:39PM   
Lkristine
Are you definitely wanting to stay neutral with your choice, or are you wanting to add an accent color as well?
February 12, 2013 at 3:54PM   
Carolyn Hennes
Cream and brown stripe run horizontally
February 12, 2013 at 10:04PM   
Loretta Callejas
iI AM A HAIRSTYLIST GOOD WITH COLOR AND I SAY ADD COLOR STAY AWAY FROM ANY MORE PATTERNS GO SOLID. BORING ROOM WHITE GOLD BROWN. ADD PUNCH OF COLOR GET AN ART PIECE YOU LOVE, PICK OUT 1 COLOR AND YOU CANOT GO WRONG.:)
February 12, 2013 at 10:31PM   
yvesun
I would add a pop of bright red. Have the seat & back upolstered in red with gold and cream piping. then I would have the outside back in a print similar to the wall paper. See if the stripped material comes in a red, and use that in a roman blind on your windows and lumbar pillows for the bench. I would keep the bench cream. A large bouquet of red roses in a crystal vase would look stunning on the credenza!
February 12, 2013 at 11:03PM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Silhouettes would look great on those windows . It will also make your space more formal for a dinging room.
February 13, 2013 at 6:39AM   
PRO
Advance Cabinetry
I would add color too.
February 13, 2013 at 7:57AM   
hfhyr
I'd go with a Toile or Icat print, red or dark blue might be a good start.
February 13, 2013 at 8:35AM   
designgirl178
If you want more casual feel to the dining area, you need to choose a more casual feeling fabric for the chairs and bench. Maybe a beige (or other color) buffalo duck print. Tweed also would do or even the fabric that looks like wicker. Pillows on the bench would add a casual feel also. An old, large mirror frame or picture frame painted gold but with black board inserted into the frame would look nice on the wall behind the bench, this would add some bistro feel and make it more casual. A grass rug under the table set would be another idea. Good luck.
February 13, 2013 at 9:20AM   
PRO
Elnora Design Interiors
You have a beautiful start. Put a houndstooth in complimentery taupe/silver and cream on the inside areas of the chairs. Use the darker textury fabric in your swatches for the outside backs of the chairs and for the bench. The window area looks very (left out) so I would do inverted pleat balloon shades or lazy roman shades in a silky wrinckle resistant fabric. This will give that area some softness and include it back into the rest of the room. Now here's the fun part. I would suggest using another creamy/white at the windows then go oh so bold with artwork colors and frames for the walls and the same for table centerpiece. Use a favorite color that's in the artwork for a long narrow pillow on the bench. Add a couple more items of the strong colors at the window area, three large candle holders and a single vase, eg. Classy and fun and easy to change the mood when desired.
Elnora Design Interiors
February 13, 2013 at 10:29AM     
aandcompany
First I would lower the chandelier.
I would add shades of white in textured fabrics. Save the additional pattern for table linens that can be changed out.
Add only a burst of color on the table as in bright flowers in a copper pot.
February 13, 2013 at 10:30AM   
Mary Sarkees
I had a hard time finding fabric for my dining room chairs. I found great fabric in a store named Room and Board. They have a store in NY or you can check them out online. The fabric was a great price and very durable. I haven't seen anyone else carry it. You do have to call to get the price by the yard..
February 13, 2013 at 11:21AM   
PRO
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I would pick a colourful fabric for the bench (like the peacock one posted by judyg) and use the same fabric for the rear (what you see from behind) of the chairs and leave the rest cream or even natural linen. As for the window treatment, simple plantation blinds. If I may add, I would change the chandelier for a bigger one and add some lampshades for some substance. The chandelier should also be lower. Keep us posted with some pics!
February 13, 2013 at 11:47AM   
emg609
The wallpaper, chandelier, and furniture are gorgeous. I really think the room would sing with a pop of color. Find artwork you love and use a color in it as a jumping off point. Upholster the chairs in the color. Coral, turquoise, blue (even navy) would be vibrant against the wallpaper and would highlight the sparkle of the chandelier. If you prefer a neutral, consider a chocolate brown (velvet or nubby linen). you'd feel inspired if you found artwork as a jumping off point and used fabric on the chairs to echo a vibrant color found in the artwork. I have a preference for bright corals (for upholstery) but you might like turquoise, hot pink, rich brown... bottom line.... give the room some 'pop' that makes you happy when you walk into the room; it would give you the eclectic feel you want.
February 13, 2013 at 12:08PM   
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I love the thought of a bright lavender in that room. It needs it to look current and fresh.
February 13, 2013 at 3:42PM   
nononanna
I don't agree with those who say you shouldn't go with pattern- you might not want another geometric, but there are lots of patterns that would be great.lHouse Beautiful does a column regularly that shows a series of fabrics in various colors, and they find good ones.

Are there fabrics in the Nina Campbell collection that includes your wallpaper? It would be interesting to see what the designer things would go well with her design.
February 13, 2013 at 4:10PM   
artrylic
Love it so far
February 22, 2013 at 2:13AM   
goldenwiley
Love, love the wallpaper. If you like to change the look of your room often, I would stay with neutral fabrics on the chairs and add color with accessories. I could really see shades of coral or aqua in this room. However, if you can see the living room or entry hall from the dining room, I suggest picking up a color already being used in those rooms (unless you plan to redo them as well). I also think black or black/taupe would be stunning in this room (if the walls are beige and not silver-hard to tell in photos). I would not hesitate to add small geometric fabrics-I think a large pattern might fight the wallpaper.
March 10, 2013 at 7:41PM