powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Shed and fence (Should I paint the fence)
tennisanyone
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Last year, I decided to paint my ugly non descript shed the colors of pillows I have on my loveseat on the deck and I have spread those colors around the deck. We love the way the shed turned out and the beige on the shed is my house color. So this year, I feel that the fence needs something too. I am thinking of painting it green. Would that be a mistake or should I just leave it? I give advice on this site often, but now I need advice from you because once I paint it, there is no going back or I have to buy a new fence. It hides the pool equipment.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elklaker
I think painting g it would be a mistake. I am of the mind that "less is more". Your shed and chairs are fun but I would just power wash and seal the fence and be done with it.
February 10, 2013 at 4:47PM     
rawketgrl
I love the fence just the way it is! I agree with elklaker - power wash, seal, done.
February 10, 2013 at 4:52PM     
tennisanyone
I never thought about power washing it and I have a power washer too.
February 10, 2013 at 4:55PM     
elklaker
Go for it! Love the power washer! I get a bit obsessed with it but, it is very satisfying and works beautifully. P.S. love your pool. Trying to find the perfect house with the perfect yard for one. Easier said than done!
February 10, 2013 at 4:59PM     
tennisanyone
It bothers me for some reason. I feel it sticks out like a sore thumb and takes away from the cute shed. If I power wash it, it will still be an ugly fence that is clean looking.
February 10, 2013 at 5:50PM     
abbshel
I wouldnt paint it but you could stain it in
cedar stain for a natural, refreshed look.
February 10, 2013 at 5:58PM     
smilynn711
Maybe you could add some more foliage in front of the fence....different shades of green??
I think painting the fence would be too much.
February 10, 2013 at 5:59PM     
lefty47
HI - I suppose you could paint it if you have nothing better to do and for every other year after ! I wouldn't , the shed is more than enough . I like the weathered look and it's very in right now.
February 10, 2013 at 6:06PM     
rawketgrl
I think it is great, it looks like a driftwood beach fence to keep the sand dunes down. I understand the need to cover all the pool equip. Maybe what you don't like is the asymmetry. Maybe you could add some fence to the other side of the shed to balance it out. Or find a big gnarly piece of driftwood to place on the other side or even in front of the fence to give it some depth. Have fun..:D
February 10, 2013 at 6:08PM     
tennisanyone
Such great ideas. I really thought you would all say to paint it. I have to process this. I'm glad I put it out there. As rawketgrl pointed out, maybe it is the asymmetry. I would have to break it to my husband slowly that he has to put up another fence because the asymmetry bothers me. And Lefty, you are right, do I want to paint it year after year. I am going to a Garden show with a friend this weekend. I will keep my eyes open for some of this stuff./plants, as smilynn said and driftwood.
February 10, 2013 at 6:38PM   
lefty47
HI -- If you plant a vine like Virginia Creeper it would semi - cover the fence and add a green feature without the painting .And it turns a beautiful red in the fall . Or a vine that has flowers would be real nice too.
February 11, 2013 at 6:17AM     
tennisanyone
Abbshel suggested staining it a cedar color but I have a dark mahogony deck. Should I think about staining it the same color as my deck or really, do I just leave it alone. It just feels so out of place.
February 11, 2013 at 6:19AM   
tennisanyone
I am going to a garden show this weekend. Lefty, I will look at the Virginia Creeper..thanks..
February 11, 2013 at 6:24AM     
DIAspoton
i like the weathered fence as is. it would be next to impossible to match it for the other side. the gap to the left of the shed could be planted with the same grass as on the right. then put the large driftwood rawketgrl suggested. or a fountain. the shed looks great. how about adding a boulder near right front edge of the island,away form the shed.i think doing those 2 thigs would balance the space.
February 11, 2013 at 6:30AM     
clk112463
It might look good with a couple of decorative items hanging on it. Maybe a big letter that's represents your last name and then two iron deco pieces on either side. Just like you would hang on a wall. The letter could be painted one of your shed colors to tie it all together. Or you could put a couple of bird houses, and a few hanging flower pots, also maybe a large grapevine wreath with a little something on it- just be careful to not put too many small items, it needs something to anchor in the middle I think. Large colorful ceramic pots on front with an herb garden or cedars or flowers/shrubs would be pretty too!
February 11, 2013 at 6:41AM     
tennisanyone
Going out to run errands. How do I add more photos to this without starting a new discussion? Everyone gets mad when you post a new discussion and I want to avoid that.
February 11, 2013 at 6:43AM   
tennisanyone
CLK- I can think about adding a boulder. Who would lift it would be another story. That part of the shed and fence sits lower. The part that you see in the picture is actually raised.
February 11, 2013 at 6:45AM   
S. Thomas Kutch
Build your own boulder........some rubble, chicken wire, mortar and some concrete stains and you can have an instant boulder in place without throwing your back out .
February 11, 2013 at 6:50AM     
tennisanyone
CLK funny that you mention a big letter. I found one at a flea market and bought it. My husband hated the idea but that is what I had in mind instead of the surfer plaque. by the window box. Maybe I'll try it since I have it.
February 11, 2013 at 6:50AM   
tennisanyone
S Thomas, that sounds like a project for my husband. I love the idea. Never seen it done.
February 11, 2013 at 6:52AM   
S. Thomas Kutch
Here's a site to show you the basics of building faux landscape boulders easily.......
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Fake-Rocks-with-Concrete

let your creativity run wilds......
February 11, 2013 at 6:58AM     
groveraxle
@tennisanyone, when you click in the comment field to type, an icon appears at the lower left that says "Attach images." Yes, please add further images here to the original discussion.
February 11, 2013 at 7:02AM     
tennisanyone
These are the pillows where I picked up the shed colors. I can stain the fence the same color as the deck too.
February 11, 2013 at 9:53AM   
sarah1360
what about huge graphic letters (that attach and hang or are bolted) in the green or blue or beige that spell out a word... RELAX or something like that. If the letters are in the blue or beige and you add lots more plantings, it would look pretty cool. Or some vintage beach/surf gear? Or a series of large pots in front of or suspended off the top - painted in your color scheme to pull it through? With little twinkly lights at night it would be very cute! Maybe a big (tallish) evergreen or vase-shaped deciduous at the far right of the fence to balance off the big object (shed) on the left. The fence kind of sputters off -- a bit of definition at the end in your color scheme would add to the romance of it.. A painted wooden arch (that leads to the pool supplies?) would give the fence a purpose plus a start and end. Just some ideas off the top of my head. There's a great outdoor restaurant in Chincoteague, VA that reminds me of your shed and fence and they've done a great job playing up that look. Search "woodys beach bbq" images!
February 11, 2013 at 10:17AM     
Nicole Tottle
Hi there, I think your shed is so cute and makes enough of a statement by itself. Quite honestly., I didn't even notice the fence as my eye was drawn to the shed with those beautiful colours. I wouldn't ain't it .. It might start competing with the shed and take too much attention. I think i would try growing a creeper over it to keep that rustic look. Good luck... Still working on my 'eyesore'!
February 11, 2013 at 12:05PM     
PRO
Staged for Perfection
The shed looks great!. I would not paint the fence. Adorn it with things or plant stuff in front of it if it bothers you!
February 11, 2013 at 12:15PM     
abbshel
If you did decide to stain, I think staining to match your deck would be best.
February 11, 2013 at 3:20PM   
tennisanyone
@Nicole. I had to laugh with your comment because that is exactly what I said about your space and your neighbors shed. Make your space more colorful and you won't notice your neighbors eyesore. You didn't even notice my ugly fence because you liked my colors. I might grow some vines on it this season. Looking forward to seeing what you do in your backyard. Keep us posted.
February 11, 2013 at 3:32PM     
tennisanyone
My mother in law was the one who suggested I paint it green. She and I thought it needed to be painted. She was surprised that not one person agreed and then she said "of course you are not going to paint it now right."? I said NO but I will think about adding a few things like vines and maybe a birdhouse or two.
February 12, 2013 at 6:12AM   
PRO
JMH Designs
If you have room you could plant some evergreens to hide the fence. Greenery is always a good thing!
February 12, 2013 at 6:41AM     
tennisanyone
Mother in law thought it wasnt clear. The fence
Would be the same green as the shed. I thought
That was obvious. I guess she really wants me
To paint it. Lol. Dont think i will after you all said dont
Do it.
February 13, 2013 at 10:59AM   
rawketgrl
Super great ideas here Houzzers! I painted an elevated wood deck once. WORST. MISTAKE. EVER. Holy flakey paint batman... it took 2 months of weekends to rip it out and replace it after trying to sand it and realizing it was going to take me forever to get it to the point where I could paint again. Paint looks good for maybe 1 year. Clean/sand and repaint every year or you get paint dandruff everywhere and it looks awful. So good decision not to paint it, your pool filters will thank you.

Also not sure where you live but if you get any kind of winter at all... any new raw wood you put up will be nicely weathered and have a great patina in about 1 year. An old Pacific Northwest secret for creating weathered "barn wood/driftwood": Place a piece of steel wool in a glass jar, cover the wool with 1 -2 cups white vinegar. Screw that lid on tight! "Age" it 6-8 hours in a warm location. Then apply with a stiff old paint brush. (Open it away from your face it is smelly!) It will turn that "new" wood into gray wood in 1 to 10 minutes! You can also "distress" wood with many methods before hand and get really cool results, plus it is good therapy! :) Have fun with your cute back yard!
February 13, 2013 at 10:15PM     
nukiegirl
I would paint it beige to match your home! I had a cedar fence which was weathered and then had it professionally stained and I just didnt like it. So 2 yrs later we painted it white and it looks like the nice maintence free white fences they have now. We use Shermin Williams paint. It was pricy tho I believe 40 or so a gallon.
February 13, 2013 at 11:13PM     
sunshinemama941
I'd stain it to match your deck- it'll "neaten" it up a bit, but I don't think will distract from your fantastic shed. Then you could still try growing some vines on it. Not sure what climate you're in, but I love those hanging wall succulent gardens. If you stained to match your deck and then put up two rectangular succulent gardens, I think it'd look great (blues and greens in the succulents would really pop next to the shed)
February 14, 2013 at 4:41AM     
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Keep the fence the way it is, I love the look paired with the shed. Beautiful backyard!
February 14, 2013 at 5:04AM     
tennisanyone
Had another 4 inches of snow last night. Hard to think about the fence but I want to. Thank you all so much for your thoughts.
Sunshine, I love those hanging wall succulent gardens too. I am going to a garden show this weekend. I'll see if they have any ideas too.
rawtekgrl, thanks for that info. I have a bench, now you have given me another idea.
Nukgirl, I used Sherwin Williams on the shed too. I hope to get a few years of it until I get tired of those colors and then I'll repaint.
February 14, 2013 at 6:00AM   
bevballew
I have the same fence. My neighbor has the same but painted. I would leave it natural. You can plant clematis or other trailing perennials or even annuals or plant shrubbery that will eventually cover it. You will be sorry you painted it and it will take very long to being it back to this state. When you paint it you make it stand out more.
February 14, 2013 at 6:46PM     
bevballew
I had part of my fence power washed and regretted it. Natural gives the natural rustic feeling.
February 14, 2013 at 6:47PM     
bevballew
I meant keeping it natural gives the rustic feeling. If youmpowerwash it stands out even more. Somehow hooking on to the fence s few flower boxes would possibly be darling. Adding those tree remains like above will complement the fence.
February 14, 2013 at 6:56PM     
bevballew
I mean the driftwood not tree remains. Oops!
February 14, 2013 at 6:58PM   
curacaoblue
Personally I hate fences even though I have one by necessity for my pool. I want it to blend as much as possible and never stand out. That's why I say don't paint it. The shed it cute but keep the fence as is. The way it is ow it blends into the background scenery and that's for the best IMO
February 14, 2013 at 8:26PM     
tennisanyone
I will NOT paint the fence based on all your experiences. However, I might do some vine planting this spring. Thank you all for the feedback.
February 15, 2013 at 5:55AM   
hmoody2398
I say paint it a light brown.
February 16, 2013 at 5:44PM   
bevballew
I have ivy climbing on my wood fence. A climbing hydrangea would be gorgeous but it takes a long time to grow. My neighbor stained there wood fence and it is pretty. Maybe paint a piece of wood and lean it against the fence to give a better feel if you would like it.
February 16, 2013 at 5:53PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Getting back to you ... I would not paint the fence but I also think it is too much of a shabby feeling compared to your freshly painted shed, that I really like.

Here's a thought. (casual beachy) ... Repeat more (shabby) to work with the fence. I would create some other focus upon entering the shed by creating a walkway path with about 10 stepping stones in bright colors. Stagger them from left to right, in front of the shed. Paint the concrete ones the same colors that are on your shed. Use an exterior flat paint. Or get some premade colorful ones.

At a distance away from the pathway, then line the sides of the stepping stones with large round timber posts and tie some heavy rope connecting them. You can nail them in place. Wrap the rope around the post twice to avoid using too much rope. Or tack to front side forming loops. You can use your blue paint watered down and randomly wipe the posts with this blue wash - very shabby worn look. It will appear that they were once painted.

Pic #1 - Shed Sketch with posts and rope, plants and flowers
Shed, Fence and Landscaping

Pic #2 - It's a bit more work for you? Paint the shed side beige. Shed will appear larger. Gives it depth.
After - Shed, Fence and Landscaping.

Other ideas
MANTOLOKING BEACHFRONT RESIDENCE

Something like these ... Exterior from Water Fergon Architects, LLC
February 26, 2013 at 11:13PM     
tennisanyone
LB Thanks so much. It was more then I expected. I love the idea of adding the posts and stepping stones. That part where you put the posts actually sits about two feet higher then the shed. The picture shows it at the same level but I don't think that matters as I see what you are saying about adding a more casual feel. Maybe I can do that at ground level entering the shed. I think that is what I was looking for without knowing what I was looking for. I'll see if I have a picture of actually how the shed sits. I am going to plant more ground cover where the diving board is this year anyway. I left the shed side beige and thought it needed something so I painted it green but maybe it just needed more structure like you said. I can always go back to beige too. Again, thanks for taking time to respond.
February 27, 2013 at 5:33AM     
bevballew
I like the shed the way it is. Colors well coordinated. It is a darling shed.
February 27, 2013 at 7:33AM   
PRO
LB Interiors
@tennisanyone. If the ground level is lower in front of the shed, you can use that space for stepping stones and the posts. whatever will fit is fine. Don't paint the shed side unless you really want to, it's cute no matter what! It's the cutest shed I've ever seen!
February 27, 2013 at 10:13AM     
PRO
Carriage Lane Design-Build Inc.
I wouldn't paint the fence green, it would stand out too much, where a fence is suppose to bland in with the landscape, you want your beautiful flowers to pop more then the fence behind it. I would paint the fence either a charcoal or lighter grey-brown colour. or if you do not want to paint the fence at all try planting some tall grasses or crawling flowers / bushes to cover it
February 27, 2013 at 10:21AM   
tennisanyone
The third picture that I show if you scroll up is actually how it sits on the land next to the fence. LB- I will not paint the fence if that is what you meant by the side but I might try what you said about the stepping stones entering the shed. and enlist my husband to help with the posts.
February 27, 2013 at 10:23AM   
Jayme H.
Someone prob. already said this...power spray and STAIN it. I hate paint on fences..too much upkeep..if it's too stained to use transparent stain, go to solid colored oil...soaks in..no peeling..(if there is not latex on it already, if so, it won't stick without a special primer).
February 27, 2013 at 10:24AM   
PRO
LB Interiors
I was referring to the side of the shed - to paint beige if so inclined, but doesn't really need it. It's a cutie already!
February 27, 2013 at 10:34AM   
Jayme H.
Didn't read most of the posts, which is why I mentioned that..was referring to the fence as I feel they are a real pain to deal with if they need scraping.
February 27, 2013 at 10:41AM     
tennisanyone
Jayme - someone said to power wash it but it will make it stand out even more and that the fence should just blend with the landscape. Too bad because I do have a power washer that I love using.
LB - I did leave the side painted beige for a few days but then I felt it needed to be painted green. It felt unfinished with it being beige. I'll see if I can get another picture.
February 27, 2013 at 10:47AM   
Jayme H.
Maybe try a good power wash...then reassess...it doesn't blend with the landscape in this pic. You could do a semitransparent stain to make it look less weathered...unless that is the look you want.
February 27, 2013 at 11:02AM     
Jayme H.
Or a whitewash look?
February 27, 2013 at 11:04AM     
PRO
LB Interiors
That's fine 'tennisanyone' - not meaning you should paint the shed side beige. It's fine the way it is.
February 27, 2013 at 11:09AM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Can you use the same timber for the rope posts as the fence material? Did you construct the fence yourself? Maybe have some short sections left over?
February 27, 2013 at 11:11AM   
PRO
Total Quality Home Builders, Inc.
I would paint it however not green. I think I would use the tan base color on the shed. Then add a few window boxes with beautiful colored flowers. This area is too cute and you have done a wonderful job!
February 27, 2013 at 11:14AM     
tennisanyone
The pool and the shed came with the house. Been here for l7 years and just decided last year I wanted to paint that ugly shed. Husband likes whatever I do inside the house and never objects to anything but the outside is HIS BABY so when he was playing golf, and believe me I needed the five hours, I decided to paint it. He was surprised when he came home but He LOVES IT, go figure. I promised him I would ask everyone before I go ahead and either paint the fence or leave it alone.
I can't believe how many opinions I am getting about not painting the fence. Not what I thought everyone would say.
February 27, 2013 at 11:41AM   
poorgirl
I wouldn't paint, I would stain, I have attached a picture of the fence I stained in Oxford Brown by Flood This is going on it's 4rd winter. You could attach 3 wall planters all at the top or going on an angle from one side and fill them with flowers that trail or herbs, paint the pots in a different colour or add some rod iron pieces/ metal art. YOu could attach driftwood to the fence in an abstract patten.The dark brown makes all the flowers and grass stand out. I am going to give it another coat this spring..
You have a very nice backyard space.
February 27, 2013 at 11:43AM     
tennisanyone
Poorgirl, that is really nice looking. I have a dark maghony deck that you can see in the pictures and someone else suggested I stain it that color. too.
February 27, 2013 at 11:54AM   
poorgirl
Thanks Tennisanyone, it's really easy stain to work with, the fence origanally was in the brown red tone, you can see abit of it behind the chair, I need to restain that portion. It doesn't chip or peel and they have lots of colours. You can also get the Cabot stain which is a great stain. We had a dark mahogany pool deck that we just took down, this went really nice with it, red/yellow flowers pop right out
February 27, 2013 at 12:16PM   
Jayme H.
Yes, stain ...stain...stain
February 27, 2013 at 12:46PM   
Jayme H.
make sure u use the right product...I like oil stains because they ABSORB so well...but if there is latex stain on something..again..use care before applying oil over it.
February 27, 2013 at 12:55PM     
poorgirl
The Flood stain is great, the Cabot stain has danish oil and Tong oil which really repels the water and gives it a bit of sheen. The Flood does come in different finishes, I used the flat.
February 27, 2013 at 1:12PM   
chrisclay
You could plant something complimentary to the grasses like Nandina Domestica. Better yet, you could transplant grasses to another bed and design a tiered garden in front of fence. Sometimes the scale of fountain grass can be difficult to incorporate with other plantings. Privacy fences rarely age gracefully.
March 2, 2013 at 1:50PM   
paradisecastle
I think it looks nice and natural. Remember once you paint it you will always have to paint it! None of us are getting any younger! :)
March 2, 2013 at 2:01PM     
Laura Stermer
how about a blue hydranga to the right side corner of fence, or blue waving grasses?
Frenchflair 1
Frenchflair 2
Helictotrichon sempervirens

or to fit your sketch with orange accents
debora carl landscape design
March 2, 2013 at 2:24PM     
tennisanyone
@Laura Stermer, I love blue hydranga. I hope the deer don't like them. Those pictures are so beautiful. I will be planting around the diving board . I am thinking some green ground cover to add more life to that area.
March 10, 2013 at 9:17AM     
Jayme H.
Hydrangeas are so lovely..I agree...wish I could have those up here all the time!!
March 10, 2013 at 4:21PM   
curacaoblue
I love hydrangea and want them by my pool but my husband always points out that bees are attracted to flowers and bees plus pool are no good
March 10, 2013 at 4:26PM   
PRO
Joy Berwick Property Styler and Stager
Hydrangeas are a lovely plant but remember they like part shade to do well, but they would look beautiful here also a good plant around a pool as they don't drop leaves !
March 10, 2013 at 4:38PM   
lindagarcia
definitely paint it! Maybe not green. But it really needs to be painted.
March 10, 2013 at 6:29PM   
tennisanyone
Thank you Joy. My backyard gets full sun. Even my plants burn in pots if I don't water them every night. I don't want to be watering the plants by the pool too.
@Curacaoblue, your husband is right, plants and a pool don't mix with the bees. The fence and shed are not right next to the pool and they sit down from the pool. The pool area is raised and has stone on the other side of the wall. I guess it is a bad picture which looks like it sits right at the pool height. I'll see what the nursery has to offer. I am not an outside landscape person and would have made a decision by now on what to do if the project was inside my house. I love all these ideas. Thanks everyone.
March 10, 2013 at 6:44PM   
bevballew
Yes ask the nursery. All you need is a climbing vine, ivy, myrtle, although might be invasive. Ask nursery. That is why I thought climbing hydrangea. It does not flower like the plant. I don't think they attract bees. There is another climber that attracts hummingbirds. I think it is called a trumpet vine. That might work. Ask a nursery. You will regret painting the fence. My neighbor has one stained. That is better than painted but requires re applications. I have the same fence around my whole yard in its natural state but a lot of greenery and you don't even see the fence. My neighbors whose fence is stained is more obvious. Matter of taste. I like more natural. My neighbors yard more formal. They have a pool also. Both are beautiful.
March 10, 2013 at 7:26PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Succulents can sustain the heat and require less maintenance and water. Many flower also. Hibiscus plants get large and love the sun, but do shed leaves and flowers. They come in a lot of colors and the flowers look tropical altho there are many varieties.
1 & 2 succulents
3 & 4 hibiscus
Landscaping with succulents Landcaping with succulents, rocks, gravel and logs Hibiscus flowers in a variety of colors Hibiscus yellow flower
March 10, 2013 at 9:32PM     
tennisanyone
I tried two giant starfish on the fence but they looked terrible so I returned them. I will leave the fence alone and find some bushes to plant in front of it, I like the blue hydrangea idea. I think just for now, I will be planting around the diving board with some ground cover to make it more green and plan to do that in the next three weeks. I'll update with a picture when I am done. Thanks everyone.
March 29, 2013 at 1:44PM     
bevballew
Thanks for the update!
March 29, 2013 at 6:48PM   
tennisanyone
OMG I dug all 34 holes this morning for my new ground cover around the diving board. I'm too tired to go to the nursery to pick them up. It will just add more green and the guy at the nursery said it will take a year or two to really fill in nicely. I think it would have been easier to paint the fence.
March 30, 2013 at 9:14AM   
PRO
MKEGreenworks
Great thread going here. We recommend to our clients that they never paint any wooden structures because if you do you have just created and ongoing expense/procedure for the life of the wooden structure. We usually use cedar for structures (you can see a recent veggie garden we built for clients out of cedar on our houzz page) which weathers great and is relatively cost effective or Ipe because Ipe will last forever (which it should since it is very costly).

I didn't see what zone you are in, but the previous suggestions are great for vines, we often plant multiple varieties/colors of Clematis or Sweet Autumn Clematis by itself which is outrageous in the fall. To help the vines get started on your fence you could use 1) eye bolts at the top of the fence with multiple strands of heavy fish line or garden wire attached to large nails placed into the ground at an angle to the fence or 2) the green fiberglass poles available at the big orange place leaned against the fence.

Clematis use tendrils (think fast growing wavy arms wrapping around anything they can to support the plant) and Climbing Hydrangea have what are referred to as holdfasts they use to attach to wood, brick or any solid surface. This only causes a slight challenge if you want to pull them back off of a brick facade. They do not penetrate or cause the mortar to become dislodged in between the bricks as the old husbands tale goes.....

As far as digging a lot of holes....we chronologically gifted people :) who have had successful back surgery learn the easy way to do everything especially when you do it day in and day out for clients. If you dig holes from bulb size to 1 gallon size I would suggest you either rent (infrequent use) or buy a portable Stihl gas powered drill with appropriate augers. My wife and I plant hundreds of bulbs or large amounts of container or bareroot perennials for our clients daily using this system.

I am 6'4" and do not have to bend over to auger the holes and the soil is placed in a neat mound around the perimeter of each hole for easy backfill by my wife after she has added Treesaver (beneficial bacteria and starch based polymer gel0 into each hole. We lose less than 1/4 of 1% of our plant material since we began using Treesaver over a 15 years ago. Nothing goes in the ground or patio containers without Treesaver.
March 30, 2013 at 9:50AM   
blisscottage06
MKEGreenworks: I googled Treesaver and couldn't find the product you mentioned. It sounds like something I could really use too - can you send a link? thanks!
March 30, 2013 at 10:07AM   
PRO
MKEGreenworks
I just built an ideabook on our houzz page for vines.
March 30, 2013 at 10:11AM   
PRO
MKEGreenworks
Here is a link to a retail version of the product. AMLEO is a specialty supplier to the hort industry. Treesaver is not inexpensive, but when you are in the business it is priceless!!! http://www.amleo.com/PHC-Tree-Saver/p/VP-MTS/
March 30, 2013 at 10:14AM   
tennisanyone
Thanks MKE for all the suggestions. I will look into it because after I dug 34 holes, I don't want anything to die plus the expense of buying all these plants too. If I plant clematis on the fence or anything for that matter, will it rot the wood?
March 30, 2013 at 10:23AM   
DIAspoton
MKE, any words of wisdom on keeping squirrels and chipmonks away from flower bulbs. i'm no novice. i plant a few hundred bulbs tulips,some narcissus and hyacinth every year. it's always a battle but this past fall was by far the worst. i ued commercial critter rid applications, heavy much,did not leave any bulb debris out. yet the squirrels were mocking me! they would chomp the ornamental cabbage and then steal away with the bulbs despite my yelling at them. bad bad wicked little squirrels...
March 30, 2013 at 11:54AM   
nasmijati
@DIAspoton. I wonder if covering the bulb area with the smaller size chicken wire/poultry fencing would work? You would have to anchor it with the "staples" used for landscape fabric.
March 30, 2013 at 12:05PM   
PRO
MKEGreenworks
I have had fellow contractors tell me they have successfully used different types of wire mesh with great success. You can install the mesh and then use sod staples to hold it in place until you mulch over it. Sod staples are about 6" in length and when you put them in we always pry them open wide to pre stress them and then squeeze them back together to place them in the soil at about a 45 degree angle. Once in the soil, the staples try to open back up to the width we prestressed them to and they don't budge. We do this for all the staples we use when installing low voltage wire in a trench before we backfill and to hold our netafim drip irrigation line in place.
March 30, 2013 at 1:13PM   
bevballew
Re eating bulbs I finally gave up but I used hot pepper spray from a nursery. One year I used mothballs but I have a dog so could not any longer. I have used cayenne pepper sprinkled around but have to every time it rains. I thought it was cheaper than buying the pepper spray from the nursery.
March 30, 2013 at 5:38PM   
tennisanyone
I made it to the nursery afterall and even did some planting around the diving board. I'll post soon. Hopefully, they will grow fast like they told me at the nursery. I planted blue juniper ground cover.
March 30, 2013 at 7:02PM   
PRO
MKEGreenworks
Make sure you apply a pre emergent after planting because if weeds become established in Junipers they are very difficult to manage
March 31, 2013 at 4:55AM     
PRO
MKEGreenworks
A retail version of a pre-emergent is Preen which you can find almost anywhere and it comes in a big yellow container which you use to shake the granules out in the planting bed. This will not manage perennial weeds, it will simply keep about 80-90% of new weed seeds from germinating. We use a product called snapshot which requires a pesticide license here in WI. Preen needs to be put down about everything 4 months I think according to their directions whereas Snapshot needs to only be applied once. For the few weeds that do come up we either hand pull them or use Roundup since Roundup has no residual effect in the soil and when it comes in contact with soil it becomes inert. It will not wash through into your lawn or leach into the soil.
March 31, 2013 at 5:56AM   
DIAspoton
thanks for all of the suggestions regarding bulb protection. i used cayenne pepper, critter ridder and mothballs to no avail. i used chicken wire in a few bulbs only containers and it helped. it's less workable in the several large, irregular shaped beds because the bulbs are planted under my cold weather plants needing room to flourish. ie: ornamental cabbage and kale, pansies,dusty miller,snapdragons and mums.
good to know about the sod staples as i plan to add moonlighting this year. it may just be a few uplights in the trees. i saved MKE's directions for that.
March 31, 2013 at 6:03AM   
tennisanyone
MKE I am putting Preen down today and then I will water the plants.
March 31, 2013 at 6:17AM   
tennisanyone
Here is a picture of what I planted. yesterday. It will take some time for it all to grow together.
March 31, 2013 at 4:53PM     
tennisanyone
I can't plant anything near or on the fence but my next planting will be to the right of the fence in that bare spot. Any suggestions and it must be deer proof. I'm thinking blue hydrangeas. I have one ornamental grass on the left and the deer ate whatever was there. I can't wait for everything to turn green soon.
March 31, 2013 at 4:58PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Love the junipers. Great start. They should be easy care and great cover. Ornamentals and some flowering plants. In addition, maybe add some lower ground cover for less maintenance. Eventually will look great.
April 4, 2013 at 12:26PM   
Margaret B
What about a limelight hydrangea, they can tolerate sun and would look great with your shed.
April 4, 2013 at 6:17PM     
tennisanyone
Thanks LB, the junipers are low ground cover once they all grow together in about a year and no maintanance. Right now I do have ornamentals that are dead looking in the flower bed. Snow just melted here three weeks ago so I am waiting for everything to finally turn green and open my pool in a few weeks too.
@Margaret B, I am thinking about hydrangeas by the fence. I will look into limelight, although not sure if those are the really blue ones. Someone posted a picture of them for me and I just love them, plus I can cut them too as a centerpiece. I am going back to the nursery this weekend, although around here, they need a few more weeks to get their stock in but I can look and get more ideas.
April 4, 2013 at 6:58PM   
tennisanyone
I just looked up limelight hydrangeas and I love it. I have another flower bed on the opposite side of the pool that I might think about this plant also. Thanks for the suggestions.
April 4, 2013 at 7:08PM   
tennisanyone
I bought three hydrangeas today as you can see by the blue pots. I have to decide to either turn them blue using a special acidic soil which I bought today or keep them pink. I think I want them blue which will compliment the shed and the pool once we finally open it in a few weeks. I love pink too and can go either way. Any thoughts?
April 6, 2013 at 5:12PM   
tennisanyone
The flowers on the shed are pink so I can go either way with the hydrangeas and putting the acidic soil will turn them really blue. My question is pink or blue?
April 6, 2013 at 5:15PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
A planting suggestion: I think I'd like them planted in front of the fence and pink choice, as to take the focal of the plants away from the fence. Here is a suggestion of how to space them for an average 4' x 4' bush. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hydra/msg0500575021233.html
April 6, 2013 at 5:48PM   
tennisanyone
I can't plant anything in front of the fence so it has to be in that space. LB you like pink because you think blue will take the focus away from the shed. Did I understand that right?
April 6, 2013 at 5:53PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
No, it will take the focus away from the fence. That was my thought.
April 6, 2013 at 6:12PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
'tennisanyone' Are you planning to put large potted plants in front of the fence? It does need something to camouflage it.
April 6, 2013 at 6:13PM   
tennisanyone
Hubby says we can't plant in front of the fence so it has to be where the pots are now. They will grow about 4-5 feet each. You think pink?
April 6, 2013 at 6:47PM   
bevballew
Either way. You can try for blue. They change colors anyway as the season progresses. I cut the flowers and place in vases without water and they dry so beautifully and can last for years in a vase in a house. They are the coolest plant. They will change as the cold weather comes and even change to a beautiful brown.
April 6, 2013 at 7:05PM     
bevballew
Why in pots. Just plant in the ground. They will do better I would think as they get larger.
April 6, 2013 at 7:06PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
What about building a deep large planter in front of the fence to put the hydrangeas?
April 6, 2013 at 7:17PM   
tennisanyone
LB planting in front of the fence is not an option, drainage pipes are not that deep and I may break them if I dig. The brown ornamental plants that you see will turn green and get taller so they may hide the fence too from the pool side. You like pink or blue? I can go either way. I don't want it to look too "rainbow" in colors.
April 7, 2013 at 6:49AM   
tennisanyone
@LB, you are right, I will do pink. After looking again at the blue color of the hydrangeas, they will clash with the shed. I love pink too. I am glad I looked again. Husband will be planting them today so hopefully they will bloom by June. Thanks.
April 7, 2013 at 11:49AM   
PRO
LB Interiors
"tennisanyone' - the planter to build was a separate unit to be placed on top of the soil in front of the fence. Not in the ground. For drainage, the planter box could be slightly raised on wood feet to allow for draining.
April 7, 2013 at 11:53AM   
tennisanyone
I understood that. LB. Not sure my husband wants to build something and I need some color where the deer ate my other plants. Do you like pink? These plants will get to be about 5 feet wide so if I found or built a planter, it would be big.
April 7, 2013 at 12:18PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Here is a quick sketch for planter box on top of the ground.

April 7, 2013 at 12:28PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
You could get some 'wine barrels' for each plant? Add legs to barrels?
April 7, 2013 at 12:32PM   
tennisanyone
@LB My husband just planted them where I put them and added the acidic soil so I guess I am having a boy (Blue) hydrangeas. I'll keep posting as things mature and flower. Thanks so much for your help. As far as wine barrels, I learned from my recent trip to Sonoma, CA that wine barrels cost anywhere from $800-$1,500. I love the mock up you did. Thanks.
April 7, 2013 at 2:48PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Your're welcome 'tennisanyone'. I've seen wine barrels at hardware stores and Home Depot (pic below - $31.98) & Lowe's for a lot less. You might find them at unusual places. Something in the future maybe, in front of the fence.

April 8, 2013 at 1:35PM   
tennisanyone
LB I guess my mind was on wine because the ones I was talking/thinking about and only pictured were huge. I only got back from Sonoma last week. I like that barrel and will have to check it out at Lowe's or HD. Thanks. The hydrangeas are planted so I will keep you posted as they mature. I just sprayed my deer repellent on them too.
April 8, 2013 at 1:45PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Forgive me - another long thread so I may be repeating someone. How about staining it in a color, if you don't want to leave it as is, or stain it a woodtone? Not quite as much maintenance as paint. http://www.cabotstain.com/colors-and-finishes/families/Solids-Colors.html
April 8, 2013 at 3:41PM   
tennisanyone
I wish someone would photoshop shop a stain so I could see it before I commit. I am hoping in a few weeks when everything turns green and my new planted blue hydrangeas bloom in June and my pool gets opened, I won't even notice the fence.
April 8, 2013 at 4:19PM   
Sven Wombwell
The best way to hide fencing is to plant in front of it. Painting it draws the eye and will only make what you dislike about it, more apparent. If you green up your boundaries with plants and not paint the fence will disappear and your garden will feel much larger, as if the boundary is not even there!
May 4, 2013 at 4:07PM   
tennisanyone
I wish I could have planted in front of the fence but because of drainage issues, I can't so I planted three hydrangeas in a bed next to the fence. I hope they will bloom by July and I will post a picture.
May 4, 2013 at 5:10PM   
bevballew
Why is the fence there in the first place? Wondering if you can just take it sown.
May 5, 2013 at 5:20AM   
tennisanyone
It hides the pool equipment so I can't take it down.
May 5, 2013 at 6:18AM   
PRO
ASVInteriors
why not take it down and plant a hedge? Eventually with a hidden door?
May 5, 2013 at 6:26AM   
pitbulls
The fence as is just fades.If you want to draw attention to it paint it.I would not.
May 5, 2013 at 6:57AM     
tennisanyone
I decided not to paint the fence but I am waiting for the hydrangeas to bloom. I don't know whether I am growing blue or pink hydrangeas. I can't wait. I'm glad they are finally getting leaves.
May 20, 2013 at 10:25AM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks. I thnik we have to wait awhile :))
May 20, 2013 at 12:51PM     
tennisanyone
The juniper ground cover is starting to spread and the hydrangeas are getting flowers.
June 19, 2013 at 1:31PM     
bevballew
What about morning glories planted in front of fence tho I think you said there is a problem with planting something. Morning glory is a vine and grows like a weed and is very colorful. It has a small root ball.
June 19, 2013 at 2:07PM   
tennisanyone
bevballew, I'll look into morning glories for another place in my garden.
June 20, 2013 at 4:29AM   
tennisanyone
I'm excited, my hydrangeas are finally getting flowers.
July 11, 2013 at 12:16PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Yay..........
July 11, 2013 at 1:19PM     
bevballew
Wait till it gets bigger yet! They are beautiful!
July 11, 2013 at 1:45PM     
tennisanyone
bevballew, I know, I can't wait, I see them all around and they get so big.
July 11, 2013 at 4:05PM     
hairsmarie
I agree with LB Interiors, I would stain the fence. It looks like it needs a lift, everything else in your backyard looks so beautiful .
July 13, 2013 at 12:23PM     
hairsmarie
what color are your hydrangeas?
July 13, 2013 at 12:25PM   
tennisanyone
Right now they are looking lavender but I hope they will be a mix of blue too.
July 13, 2013 at 7:30PM   
tennisanyone
My hydrangeas are dying. I just gave them some miracle grow. Any advice? I'm not sure but I think the deer have been eating them too. They are not blooming like I thought they would.
August 4, 2013 at 2:08PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Oh nooooooo! I hate when that happens! I don't have anything to offer. Here in California, they can be touchy too. I didn't have any luck with them. I'm sorry! :)
August 4, 2013 at 2:14PM     
PRO
Design By Pisces
I would paint it beige , and after it drys put up to large window frames with mirrors and paint the trim of that your teal or green .
August 4, 2013 at 2:17PM   
blisscottage06
Concerning your hydrangeas - remember the old saying - Sleep, creep, leap? They will get bigger and have many more blooms next year, and the next - (I assume they were planted this season?) They also, in my experience, need watering, especially when new, when it's hot, and wilt quite dramatically when they are even a little dry. Try a slow trickle on the roots and see if they don't revive. Good luck!
August 4, 2013 at 3:16PM        Thanked by tennisanyone
tennisanyone
Yes, they were planted this season. I just watered them again because husband said the miracle grow will burn the leaves. I do not have a green thumb and now he tells me the rabbits must be eating the blooms. How do I stop that too? I hope next season will bring more blooms.
August 4, 2013 at 4:09PM   
blisscottage06
In general it's not a good idea to feed plants when they are looking distressed, so your husband, sad to say, is probably right about the possible miracle grow damage. So keep up the watering! As for rabbits eating the flowers, I've had no experience with that. Around here it's groundhogs that eat ornamentals (and vegetables), but they don't bother my hydrangeas, yet! There are products that you can sprinkle around the plants to deter animals like rabbits (not deer) - check at your local hardware or garden supply store. Eventually the plants will get large enough that rabbits won't be able to reach the blooms - but that's not much comfort now! Mine planted 5 years ago in Maine are about 6 feet tall and wide!
August 4, 2013 at 4:16PM        Thanked by tennisanyone
tennisanyone
blisscottage06, I'm glad you told me about about not feeding plants in distress. I am new to gardening so I thought that would help them along. I can't wait for them to get bigger. At 6 feet tall you must have beautiful blooms. I'll be patient. I will go to my local garden store tomorrow and ask about products that deter rabbits.
August 4, 2013 at 4:49PM   
blisscottage06
Yes, my house is currently full of cut hydrageas, and the garden is even fuller! I do love them - the colosr of the flowers change as the blooms mature, on some of them. And I do get the urge to "help them along" - we all do that, even experienced gardeners at times, I bet!
August 4, 2013 at 7:00PM   
tennisanyone
I planted three pink hydrangeas on the other side of the pool and they are doing even worse then the ones next to my shed. Barely, down to nothing. They started with beautiful pink blooms. I will get to the bottom of this and see "WHO" is eating my plants. I can't wait to cut them and bring them in the house. Hopefully by next season I will see them bloom.
August 4, 2013 at 7:15PM     
bevballew
As long as you keep them watered they should do fine. They are hardy and when the leaves droop you know they need water. I have many and never give them anything. The acidity of the dirt will make the colors change as well as through the season the colors change. A very acidic soil brings about the blue color. I have rabbits in my yard and they don't seem to be going after the hydrangeas but rabbits may go after them. There are sprays and I have spread cayenne pepper around the plant. Moth balls also work I do not cut them down. I wait until the following season to remove the dead branches. I would be cautious about trimming them back. I have about 12 hydrangeas around my yard and I do nothing but keep them watered and remove the dead branches the following spring once the plant is ready for the new season. Cutting back may remove the flowering.
August 5, 2013 at 7:30AM   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Leave it it looks rustic, reclaimed wood. People pay big money for that look.
August 5, 2013 at 7:34AM      Thanked by tennisanyone
Nancy Travisinteriors
I see this is a old thread. Sorry for let advice. Gues you are deciding on plants now?
August 5, 2013 at 7:36AM   
tennisanyone
travisinteriors, I decided not to paint my fence and many houzzers agreed It is growing on me. I have done some planting of hydrangeas and they are dying so I was asking for advice. I am not a gardner but I am trying.
August 5, 2013 at 7:43AM   
Tricia Perez
I like the idea of dressing the fence up by planting flowers or succulents in some burnished tin planters and nailing them to the fence a few feet apart. I cant find phots of exactly what im think of, but here are some ideas. Or, how beautiful is all that lavendar? LOVE the shed btw!
Shane Powers Ceramic Wall Planters Herb House Garden Wallter Outdoor Planters Salad and Herb Vertical Planter http://www.houzz.com/Planters-nailed-to-fence/p/64
August 5, 2013 at 7:47AM        Thanked by tennisanyone
tennisanyone
My son just told me he thinks these statutes look like a shrine to him and his sister and he thinks I should remove them and never put them back. I like looking at them. I was surprised by what he said. Do they look like shrines?
November 11, 2013 at 6:16AM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Hi tennisanyone, I don't get that feeling, but you will probably get, like everything else on houzz, many different opinions : ) I think it will be one's own interpretation.
November 11, 2013 at 10:40AM      Thanked by tennisanyone
chrisinky
I know this thread is from last spring & summer, but I've enjoyed reading through it. I hope you have better luck with your hydrangea growing this summer. I have heard of people getting bags of hair from a hair salon & spreading around plants to keep deer away. Also, cayenne pepper spread around on the ground helps keep away smaller animals. If you are still looking to plant something in front of the fence this summer, try some tall annuals that don't require deep digging. I really love Hollyhocks.

March 21, 2014 at 10:18AM