Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Formal living room ideas
A D
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello! Do you think the Saybridge sofas from Macys in Beige will look good in this room? http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/martha-stewart-living-room-furniture-sets-pieces-saybridge?ID=625490

I am thinking of having the 2 sofas facing each other and then two wingback chairs and a rectangular ottoman. Also I am going to paint the walls Greenbrier Beige. Please let me know if that will work. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
A D
Hello! Can anyone please offer suggestions for this room. Thanks!
February 14, 2013 at 12:35pm     
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
AD, what a great room! I very much like the sofas you chose. Where will the wingback chairs go? Next to fireplace? Also, I cannot tell if the ceiling is painted the same color as the walls, but I would not do that. I would choose a different/complimentary color. Also, please make sure the ottoman is in a different fabric than the sofa and chairs. Leather would be great.
February 14, 2013 at 12:45pm     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Have you chosen rugs for the area? Where do you plan to introduce color & pattern, versus shades of beige. The sofas look great..what color were you thinking to use? There appears to be 25 shades.
February 14, 2013 at 12:47pm   
Aggie Purvinska
Wow, what a space!!

I think I would reduce the wall - trim contrast a bit, the easiest is probably to paint walls in a color closer to trim. I think that would really soften the space.

[houzz=Natural Wicker 950 Paint]

The foyer would look good with a pendant.
[houzz=3 Light Medium Bell Jar Pendant with Star Glass]

Then, of course, some kind of lush wool rug for the living room, you can bring in color with it, whatever color of your liking, I am picking this turquoise. I would pick Linen Sofas with accent pillows and then of course, the accent color (or a different darker color, a kind of a brown soft leather even) can go to the wing back chairs (love them) or ottoman..

Accessories and lamps could be oil rubbed bronze, that way incorporating the dark fireplace surround

[houzz=Eclectic Rugs]

[houzz=Old Hickory Tannery "Ellsworth" Tufted Sofa]

[houzz=Metal Accordion Side Table]

You will need some kind of a console table for art above, etc. Maybe a Liquor Cabinet, SOfa Table for Lamps..

Probably need a plan view with all the door locations to get it right.

[houzz=Clairemont Coffee Table]

[houzz=Massoud Dooley Wing Chair]

I haven't seen the Macy's stuff you are talking about, I'll look it up..
February 14, 2013 at 12:58pm     
A D
Thanks so much for your comments!

Barbara - I was thinking of the sofas in Buckwheat and the chairs in Flax. Will that work? I will be changing the wall color but I don't think changing the tile will be that easy (though I wish I could change it to hardwood). I am very open to suggestions for rugs and curtains. It's currently a blank space and I'm thinking of different ways to do it up.

Liza - I'm not sure whether to put the chairs next to the fireplace or across the room. For the ceiling I was thinking of painting it BM Winter wheat and the walls Green brier beige or another option is bleeker beige and monterey white. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/rooms-by-color/easy-orange-home-office

Please let me know if you can suggest some other paint colors to complement the sofas and the tile!
February 14, 2013 at 1:04pm   
Aggie Purvinska
I just looked up the sofas, they are exactly what I was thinking!
February 14, 2013 at 1:05pm   
A D
Thanks Aggie! Loved all your suggestions. Also love the Natural Wicker paint. What do you suggest for trim and ceiling?
February 14, 2013 at 1:08pm   
Aggie Purvinska
"Whips out BM Deck* for the Ceiling, I would use White Down 970 and for the Trim White Dove.
February 14, 2013 at 1:12pm     
wyndyacre
Did you ever decide to paint in the ceiling? I think the great windows and coiffered ceiling provide a lovely light filled space with the floors providing just the right amount of drama once you have an area rug down.
February 14, 2013 at 1:13pm   
PRO
JMittman Designs
Beautiful space. For the windows, I would suggest ripplefold sheers. You have perfect windows for them. See photo attached below.

February 14, 2013 at 1:19pm     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would choose more depth of color for the sofa and chairs..BUT FIRST choose a rug..great color..great pattern, and great size..let that be your base for the room. From that choose the colors for the sofas & chairs...and LASTLY..choose the paint colors for the walls and ceiling. It really makes it all so much easier and you will see it immediately.
February 14, 2013 at 1:25pm     
A D
I think my biggest challenge with the rug would be the tile flooring and how to match it to that. But thanks for the suggestion and I will start looking!
February 14, 2013 at 2:02pm     
decoenthusiaste
Ignore the flooring and buy a rug you're in love with. Just make sure it is large enough not to get lost is the space. Should be at least as wide as the FP bumpout wall or larger.
February 14, 2013 at 2:09pm     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Ditto decoenthusiaste! Ignore the floor..look for a rug.. don't look online..go to a real store, take one home..look at it in YOUR space.
February 14, 2013 at 2:50pm     
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I'd do all ivory everywhere. The only contrast I would do would be with the sheen. A high quality flat on the walls or an eggshell and then a satin or pearl on the ceiling and trim. Trust me once you get contrasting furnishings in the room, the background will be interesting but not overwhelming.
February 14, 2013 at 2:54pm   
carole
here are some that would match,and some that would not!!
February 14, 2013 at 3:04pm   
travilion
we specialize in formal ornate furniture and offer free interior design. Here is our newest set, available in many custom fabrics.
February 14, 2013 at 11:22pm   
A D
Thank you for your suggestion!
February 20, 2013 at 9:24am   
A D
Can you please suggest the arrangement of the furniture in this room? If I were to have 2 sofas facing each other would it be ok to have the back of the sofa to the front door or should I have it in an L shape? Or should I have 1 sofa, 2 arm chairs and 2 wingbacks?

Thanks so much!
March 17, 2013 at 8:31pm   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Lovely room! The sofa style is perfect for flanking the fireplace and facing each other. They are 40" deep though, do you have enough room for them? Also have you sat in them? 40" deep for this style means you are not sitting very upright but perhaps leaning back a bit. You will need some beautiful down cushions to assist.
March 17, 2013 at 8:37pm     
A D
Thanks! I will keep that in mind about depth. Also should I have wingback chairs or armchairs? Can you also suggest their placement.
March 17, 2013 at 8:43pm   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Amolika, I had a look at your idea book, I can see you enjoy a transitional style. Could you give us a floorplan to work with. I think you are not getting many comments as we can only see one room. I see you posted about your tile floor as well. I quite like this floor. You can have a stunning room, we just need some more information please.
March 17, 2013 at 8:54pm   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
The back of the sofas is interesting too, so if back faces the door, still looks good. I see now why you inquired about wings or two armchairs, as they are all suggested together. It does depend on what would be facing the fireplace, as if you flank fireplace with sofas the two chairs would be facing the fireplace. You may or may not want two higher backed chairs here. I also chose a rug if you like to order everything from Macy's. I can see how that may be advantageous depending on where you reside.

Would love to see you bring some pale blue in once you paint the walls. You could do pale blue silk drapes on a slim rod with rings. I would match that to the metal you choose for lighting.
March 17, 2013 at 9:37pm   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Once I posted, as I could not see the rug colours properly or the floor tiles, I was not happy with the rug. I would like to see blue, combined with a bit of the warmth of the tiles. I feel the greenbrier beige is not the correct colour for this room. Can you show other views of the room please. Thanks!
March 17, 2013 at 9:43pm   
A D
Thanks for all your suggestions Susan! I have attached a few more pictures - dining area, another shot of formal room and family room. I appreciate all the help!
March 18, 2013 at 4:43am   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Off to an appointment, will review later today, lovely home by the way!
March 18, 2013 at 12:03pm   
A D
Thanks Susan! We haven't moved in yet and want to get all the major projects done before we do next month.
March 18, 2013 at 12:13pm   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
AD can you post a closer look at the floors? I can't see the colour well enough.
March 19, 2013 at 10:34am   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Also what is the width of the area from fireplace to window, as the sofas are 40" deep, you will still need space behind to access the doors?
March 19, 2013 at 10:37am   
A D
Hi again! We haven't yet moved into the house so I don't know the exact dimensions of the place. Sorry about that....

Also in place of greenbrier beige, do you think shaker beige would be a better option?
March 19, 2013 at 8:21pm   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
It's really a BEAUTIFUL house! It seems to me that you have lots of space to decoration. I also like the sofas.

When it comes to curtains and drapes, these designs may hopefully give you some inspirations.

Nophie
March 19, 2013 at 9:04pm     
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi A D, Marie here.

I'm not a huge fan of the rolled arm - simply because they do take up a lot of space - and it makes it harder to place end tables comfortably next to the sofa - the arm tends to take up a lot of space - love the tufted back, and clean lines to it.

Your wingbacks will be a definite benefit - don't bring in any more tufted, and go to a track arm or more modern feeling to the wingback. it'll add delicious tension and make the room feel more current. I've posted your sofa with a couple of my favorite styles of wing back to help you with your decision. Good Luck.

Regarding paint colours - you should choose your fabrics for your new furniture, and, get a sample of that tile flooring and your wood cabinetry and fireplace mantle stain before committing to a paint colour. Paint is always the very last choice I make and ensure that the paint is complimenting everything going on in the house.

Drapery - please don't do a checker - that's way too casual and country for your home - stick to silks with a complimentary pattern to your upholstery - and don't forget to get a couple of toss cushions in the same fabric as your drapes to bring down into the space - maybe two lombar cushions for each wingback!
March 19, 2013 at 9:31pm     
PRO
Susan Mills Design
How about Monroe Bisque and White Dove. It has a sunnier lighter aspect, and yet will still contrast nicely with all your trim. It will also be a lovely background for those sofas. I suggest taking a few tester pots in those ranges we are discussing and painting sample boards, move them around the room during different times of day until you choose the ones you love.
March 19, 2013 at 9:35pm   
A D
Thanks Marie for all your suggestions and I love the wingback chairs you've posted! I will be on the lookout for something similar to that.
March 19, 2013 at 9:37pm   
A D
Susan - I picked up a sample of Monroe Bisque just this morning! Some other colors that they recommended to me were Manchester Tan and Smokey Taupe.
March 19, 2013 at 9:39pm   
A D
Also do you recommend buckwheat, toast or honey for the sofas?
March 19, 2013 at 9:41pm   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Is there one of those that appeal to you more?
March 19, 2013 at 9:49pm   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Also I would choose your rug first, then pull one of the neutrals out for the sofa. I still love the idea of adding blue to this sunny room. I love the rug Aggie Designs posted earlier but really there are so many options. As long as it has the warmth of the tiles, some neutrals and the blue, it would look lovely IMO.
March 19, 2013 at 9:59pm   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Monroe Bisque seems perfect for the room, warm and sunny. Really this room is just beautiful without anything in it!
March 19, 2013 at 10:00pm   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
I also think a sheer linen drape would compliment the room and furniture. A slim dark bronze rod and rings over the width of the windows and don't forget the drapery wands to keep hands off the fabric!
March 19, 2013 at 10:07pm     
A D
Hi again! Our painter has suggested Manchester Tan for this room with an accent of Shaker Beige in the Fireplace niche and the top niche of the two pillars framing it. Is that a good idea? We will be getting dark hardwood floors installed. Also what color do you recommend for the coffered ceilings? I was thinking of White Dove in semi gloss. Thanks!
April 3, 2013 at 5:24am   
Aggie Purvinska
AD, if you are going with the same style sofa and chairs, keep it in the same color (if you change up the style of chairs, you can also change up the color). The colors the painter picked for walls sound great. I think you need to get a design consultant at this point, one who will focus on your space, it will be money well spent. Peeps dropping in on design dilemma may not be the best when you are on a mission. I actually feel bad I can't help you more, if you were my client I would be. Same with most professionals here, I believe. Look up a good one in your area, and call them, negotiate a deal that works for you.
April 3, 2013 at 7:02am   
PRO
Again, do the same color everywhere. You have way too much going on with moldings and odd doors, etc. Use different sheens to give you a nice change. I'd match the cream in the floor.......nice and classic and clean.
April 3, 2013 at 10:55am   
Judy M
A local consulttaion might be a good idea. People here are giving advice without having read that you are replacing the floors. It is hard to recommend a paint color looking at a room on a computer monitor.

The hard part can be finding a decorator that has the same esthetic value you have.

All those BM historic colors are usually a good pick, as is White Dove. I have used Shaker Beige and Monroe Bisque with good results.

I love your room and I'm sure it will be beautiful when it's complete.
April 3, 2013 at 11:08am     
A D
Thanks for your suggestions!
April 3, 2013 at 12:41pm   
PRO
I agree...I don't believe in online design entirely-everyones color temperatures are different from each others. Perspective is always different in persona as well.
April 3, 2013 at 3:59pm   
A D
Hi...This is a picture of the room painted in Manchester Tan with a White Dove trim. We have decided to keep the tile floor as is for now. It's right now an empty canvas so I would appreciate any other suggestions for making this an elegant formal room. Thanks so much for all your suggestions and help.
April 28, 2013 at 7:12am     
decoenthusiaste
I think you might consider continuing with warm latte tones in furnishings, but you could lean a bit toward Mediterranean if style if you like. Love the lighter color.
Buckhead 1
Buckhead 2
Gabriel Builders
April 28, 2013 at 10:30am     
Judy M
Please show us photos when you get your furniture, I love this room.
April 28, 2013 at 3:44pm   
Kathy Watt
Beautiful Home!
April 28, 2013 at 3:57pm