Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Fun, fresh rug & wall decor ideas?
ckcraig
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello! I have a cozy family room that I would like to add a very different rug and wall decor to so I can give it some more life and joy. The rug I currently have is very traditional and I would like something more eclectic to help liven up the brown leather sofas and brown chair. It is a wonderful room right off the kitchen that gets used a lot but it needs something fun on the wall and something fun and fresh for the rug. I'd love some pictures and ideas!! Thanks, in advance.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
ASVInteriors
Here is an interior designer trick: take a photo of your room and render it black and white. You will now clearly see the tones in your room.There needs to be some variety - this is what the eye picks up on. In your case, they are pretty much the same: There is little contrast. That is what you need to change.

The strong colour of your carpet draws everything inwards - I would look for a geometric shape such as squares in two toned colours perhaps in a gold or tan rather than a deep red so you create a sense of space. For your pictures, why not look at large photographs (a square canvas is almost always the most modern). This will pump up the "light" in the room.

Another trick, get every sweater, sheet or blanket (in colours you like) and drape them everywhere. This will give you a visual idea of what you like. Then take a photo and repeat the b&w process to ensure you are getting the tonal balance right.
Best of luck
February 11, 2013 at 3:13am     
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
February 11, 2013 at 5:45am