Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Question on Exterior Paint & Stain also Interior Remodel
coolboarder368
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
What would you guys think about sanding the red wood on exterior and staining it light (or maybe dark wood) and painting all the stucco that surrounds the house white? Maybe adding some palms and remove current trees? If I do this what color would you paint the garage? Or would you sand it and stain that as well too?

Here is a link to my shutterfly which has all the photos including interior. I would love some recommendations on the interior as well :)
http://harperavenue.shutterfly.com/
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coolboarder368
Second level deck. The home is 2550 SQFT 4 bedrooms 2.5 kitchens 3.5 baths
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 6:42PM
coolboarder368
Here is photo of left side of the house. Please include paint name with your suggestions if possible. Thanks everyone
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 6:43PM
Jayme H.
is it currently stained or painted?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 6:44PM
coolboarder368
The stucco is kind of beige and old paint and the wood trim is all painted red.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 6:45PM
Jayme H.
Just wondering how it will work to stain it...it may be a really big job to sand it vs. repainting it.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 6:47PM
coolboarder368
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 6:52PM
coolboarder368
I think there is a bit too much wood here but I have more stucco so I think it would balance it out. What are all your thoughts?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 6:53PM
coolboarder368
I like the color of the wood here just wondering if doing a stain like this on my house is a feasible option. I don't mind putting in the work. [houzz=
]
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 6:54PM
Jayme H.
Do u know what type of wood is under the paint? It may make a difference as to how it will look after sanding..and I know sometimes sanding will grind the paint into the wood.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:03PM
coolboarder368
No idea, closing escrow on the house next week and just trying to get some ideas..
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:04PM
Jayme H.
Your wood looks like it could be a rough wood...I do not know if you will achieve the look u want if you go through all the work of sanding. Different types of wood have different grains/appearance and also take stain differently. I would try to find out the type of wood it is and research to find out if it is feasable to sand it down or not in order to achieve the look u desire. And/or I would sand down an area to test it out...
3 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:27PM
coolboarder368
I appreciate the info. For the sake of my question, lets assume the wood doesnt have any problems staining to the darkness of my choosing. How do you all think that will look with the remaining stucco painted white, and what would you advise color wise for my garage? I also like the garage's that are more modern and all glass windows.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:38PM
rawketgrl
Sanding? OMG hard job. There are so many amazing stains out there. Find one that you like in a solid stain. Solid stains are opaque and will cover any previous stain color, but have minimal film thickness and will allow wood grain and texture to still show. Here is a link to a tape test you can do to see how much work this might be.... http://bit.ly/8lXqyw http://www.olympic.com/color/stain-color-and-finish Olympic has a huge collection of solid stains. maybe a darker Pewter for garage door, and a lighter Mullion Gray for the siding and find a matching lighter gray paint color for the stucco. Good luck
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 7:51PM
coolboarder368
Just the sort of response I was hoping for. Perfect, thank you!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:55PM
coolboarder368
Hey Rawketgrl,

Lets say I say forget the sand job, looks painfully tedious, what paint scheme would you go with for the garage, stucco, trim, and front wood paneling?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:56PM
coolboarder368
And also the balcony posts
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:57PM
Jayme H.
Be aware that if u do not sand, u may need to use a special primer to avoid adherence problems. There are primers to help avoid this. Solid color stains will not show the grain like the pics u posted of the looks u like....and right now it looks like you have little to no contrast of grain showing due to the paint on the siding now. It look like it actually may be a solid color stain on there now....the pics u posted r not of solid stains, but of semi transparents, or clear.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 8:04PM
rawketgrl
I like your idea of a garage door with windows (Above only or if you have a full window you have to keep that garage tidy). But lets say for now you have what you have.
I like the medium light Gray Mullion gray for the field, cedar (?) siding. Paint in a matching color for the stucco. For the trim (and balcony posts) white (Olympic white smoke ) would be nice. For the accents (garage door) Pewter (darker gray).

I am not sure what you mean by front wood paneling?
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 8:17PM
rawketgrl
Here is a better light dark gray pic...
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:18PM
coolboarder368
I meant all the red siding :) thank you xmillion that is exactly what I was hoping you would suggest and very close to what I was thinking.. So excited!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:19PM
rawketgrl
Just make sure you prep that siding correctly and you will have many years of a good looking house. Don't do what we did when I was a kid. We re-painted our siding and the wood was still too humid. Holy blister batman. It took us the rest of the summer to scrape it all off and redo it. I think I learned my 1st curse words that summer from my dear ol' dad. For the price of a moisture meter we would have saved a lot of work. Hey we were broke and strong! It was a good lesson. Have fun with your new house!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:27PM
apple_pie_order
I'd review the list of findings from the professional home inspector. Looks to me like you will need a new roof soon; the inspector will have noted the estimated lifetime left. As mentioned in your previous discussion, you need to do a lot of pruning, especially to keep the roof from getting more damaged by thrashing branches. Ivy attracts rats in southern California, so be prepared for some displaced rats heading for the roof when the ivy is trimmed back.

I would go down to city hall and get copies of all the permits that have been issued. There may be a lot of unpermitted work such as the second kitchen area or that strange drain piping in the basement crawlspace. Perhaps you have already budgeted for those things or repairs are scheduled during escrow.

A professional paint job on the inside will run a few thousand dollars but may be worth the expense. If so, choose a classic white such as Swiss Coffee or a richer yellowed off white such as Antique Linen, both are Dunn Edwards standard colors and available from other companies as well. Polishing the windows and removing the old window coverings will let in some great beach light.

Here are some great colors:
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 9:33PM
coolboarder368
What do you think? (first time attempting photo shop lol)
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:38PM
coolboarder368
What a great response. Thank you for taking the time to right an educated an thoughtful response. I did much budgeting when I purchased the house. My agent said in the 15 years he has been in the business he has never seen someone get a better deal, I got it for $155k under there $699k asking price. I have about $100k to work with because of it. I like the interior color choice you suggested. Also, yes a new roof is definitely one of the first things I will be doing once I get the keys to the house. Also do you mean just cleaning the windows? Also, got lucky on the permits, everything was permitted. Thanks for all the advice.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:40PM
apple_pie_order
What a great deal for a spacious place. Good thing about the permitted work. Have you done any remodelling or renovating before? I was thinking last night that this place needed $100K put into it. Please make sure that you don't close escrow until you have done a final walk-through to ensure it is actually cleaned out, or you will end up paying 1-800-Got-Junk to do the removal. If possession is close of escrow plus three days, you may end up paying Got Junk anyway.

With 20% contingency, that's $80K to work with. Tight, but do-able. $1000 for initial pruning and yardwork. Let's hope you can do another layer on the roof instead of a tear-off with new plywood, etc. You can get good ideas of what is popular for remodels in your area by looking at the MLS photos of "future comparable" houses costing $800K-1 million. Don't overimprove one room at the expense of the others.

Although it is not the kind of item that anyone posts about much on houzz, having a professional window cleaner to give neglected windows a tune up on opening and closing mechanisms and to scrub the years of embedded grime off can be worth the money. Last year I was shocked that a pro took two full days to clean the windows of a neglected single story 60 year old house for sale across the street, but when I saw he'd made all the original windows operational again and absolutely gleaming, I was impressed with what a pro could do. Ask your agent for referrals and check the references. If you'll be replacing the windows, don't bother, of course, hot soapy water and a squeegee will do fine til then.
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 6:30AM
PRO
Clopay Building Products
Check out this garage door from Clopay. http://www.clopaydoor.com/cypress-collection.aspx. Low-maintenance steel wood look door and insulated. Upload a photo of your house and try it on to see how it looks using Clopay's Door Imagination System on the website.
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 1:09PM
coolboarder368
Thanks for all the help and info guys. This is my first project and I am a little nervous but very excited. I got the house about 25% under market value which gives me quite a bit of room to fix it up but I am trying to save, every dollar counts right?
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 1:50PM
More Discussions
House has unwanted door where window was
Just moved into a house that the prior owner had removed...
Wanted: Back-splash colors and ideas for my new kitchen in Florida
I need back-splash colors and ideas for my new kitchen...
Please help me pick splash back and paint
I have just got a new kitchen fitted the cabinets are...
KITCHEN BACKSPLASH. HELP!
We have been looking for a backslpash for our kitchen...
Remodel Help
Moving and already trying to remodel the new place....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.