powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
SOS! Can't settle on a tile for bathroom floor (and it needs to be installed tomorrow)
pupu4u
February 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are remodeling the kids bath (orig pics attached just for fun because it is so awful and so you can see the layout). We picked a vanity and tub (hard to tell in the pic, but the tub is rounded). We are using a subway tile on the tub walls and backsplash. The last piece is a floor. We are struggling to settle on a floor, hubby wants traditional black and white octogons, I was thinking a mosaic, contractor is recommending marble. Guys will need to install tomorrow so no time for special orders. Any suggestions for a tile that will provide some interest and keep the look (and care) kid-friendly And should we bring color into the tile (floor or wall accent) or should we keep the color in the paint and accessories?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
courtneysal82
I wouldn't do marble for the kids bathroom it get very slippery when wet.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 7:03PM
pupu4u
he said honed marble and it is a 12x12, but of smaller tiles (gray rectangles with a white square in the middle) I don't know if it woudl get slippery, just worry that is a little elgeant and not very fun for a kids bath.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:08PM
pupu4u
I'm leaning towards the octogons now. I just saw a picture in the bathoom pictures--mostly white octogons with a few black flowers and one blue flower. It was cute and a fun twist on a classic. Is it too kitchy though? I am so worried about having a bathroom that will feel dated in a year or two.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:09PM
courtneysal82
I would just go with a simple 4 by 4 textured tile for the kids bathroom
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:09PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Tomorrow? So your options are stock tiles at the local suppliers...not many options. with more time we might have been able to resolve this without so much stress. Are you sure any of your choices are actually available? With subway tile in white it is a classic look with 1" hex. Eliminate the black dot and it will be just a white floor. Use gray grout to enhance the shape. I agree, don't use marble unless it is a small mosaic with room for grout.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:11PM
tdstonge
Good luck. Whatever you choose will be better than what you have now. That tile is pretty bad!!! LOL
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:16PM
seacratch
I had the same dilemma. I loved my hexagon small bathroom smaller tile looks better to scale. I would use black grout though mine was white. Harder to keep clean. Good luck!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:25PM
pupu4u
thanks, I should mention I am in Los Angeles and our contractor seems to think most anything will be availalble in the area at one of his suppliers...we'll see how true that is.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:47PM
pupu4u
Traditional Bathroom design by Austin General Contractor Avenue B Development
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:02PM
pupu4u
oopts, I was trying to attach a picture of a bathroom, I don't think we would do the subway tile section of the floor, but maybe the black hexagon flowers with the one blue, that is kind of different/less restuarant bathroom than the all black flower. Thoughts? yay or nay?? I can't figure out how to attach the picture, but here's the link http://www.houzz.com/hexagon-flower-tile-black-blue-bathroom/p/42
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:05PM
coolboarder368
I would suggest avoiding building a bath to your child's specifications because that certainly won't help the resale. I think the marble would look excellent however someone pointed out it would be very slippery and for children I would recommend against it. Anyways best of luck to you!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:27PM
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Dal tile has a glazed wall and floor tile collection called "Rittenhouse Square". Consider Gloss 3x6 subway running bond up to 36" above the tub, then chair rail, then change to 3x6 to herringbone pattern up wall, continue 3x6 running bond across ceiling. Install 1x2 brick matte on floor or 3x6 matte on floor alternating 2 vertical 2 horizontal, etc.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 11:38PM
More Discussions
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
Contractors, Plumbers - Please help with my water heater fan noise!
I just moved into a new home - new construction. The...
doctornancy
Brand new painted cabinets chipping on edges.
We did custom painted cabinets shaker sale cabinets...
fanofmyfam
Sauce Eggplant Chandelier Challenge.
I have made a deal with the devil. Well, not the devil...
toatsmcgoats
Recommendations or thoughts on putting Travertine flooring in a baseme
Hi! Anyone have thoughts on putting Travertine flooring...
smelling
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.