Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need help planning a kitchen remodel.
bluvelvet222
February 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We recently bought a house built in the 50s that will eventually be a complete remodel. The most pressing is the kitchen. It has not been updated since it was built except for the tile flooring. We plan to have hardwood floors put down and lose the awful paneling for painted drywall. The cabinets are painted pine and will be torn out along with everything else. Hubby and I have lots of DIY experience and will do painting, caulking,etc. We will have someone install the cabinets and we both like a medium cherry finish. I am stuck on where to start beyond gutting the place which starts today. All help is appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
Hello- If you could post a dimensioned floorplan, that would very be helpful. Also, what would you like out of your new kitchen....and island, seating space etc etc. I purchased our present home about 3 years ago and the kitchen looked very much like yours and I had the same dilemma. In the end, I created a longer kitchen with an island bench after eliminating the tiny (and useless) dining area that adjoined the existing kitchen. We were able to use the island for informal eating/meals. Are you interested in opening up your space as well? Are you able to do so?
February 11, 2013 at 4:20am   
PRO
Dytecture
I agree, start if a floor plan if you haven't done so already. Then try to configure a kitchen that works for your lifestyle.
February 11, 2013 at 5:57am   
bluvelvet222
The kitchen will be gutted and will be a blank slate. I want an island and will take up the tile and install hardwood floors in their place. My question is, what to do first and in what order after gutting the kitchen. Floors must be laid, appliances installed, dry wall in place of paneling, painting, etc. I need guidance on where to start and the steps to take after. Thanks in advance for your help.
February 11, 2013 at 4:48pm   
PRO
Eagledzines
1) Create kitchen plan and get building permit if locally required. Estimate of total cost. Cost of permit dependent on total estimate of work. Make sure you know what ongoing inspections are required by local code.
2) Demolition--everything you plan to remove. It will be easier to do the rough electric if the drywall is taken down.
3) Will there be a natural gas or propane lead necessary? Call and find out what is needed for that.
4) Rough electrical. Make sure the electrical is up to code. Is the electrical entrance going to be sufficient to handle the changes you are going to make? Are there enough outlets and in the proper places according to local code? (Need a kitchen plan.) The outlet requirements required by code will be different along the floor than they will be along the counters and island and for appliances. Will the lighting plan be changed? Will there be electrical floor underlayment? Will there be a garbage disposal switch necessary? Will there be dimmers on any of the lights? Where will you want two-way switches? Is the electrical entrance up to code? The electrician will need to know what appliances and lighting will be used and where it will go. Will there be a garbage disposal added? A trash compactor? A microwave? Hard-wired undercabinet lighting? Range hood? Hard-wired lighting inside cabinets or above cabinets? Electrical heaters in toe kicks--where will they go? What electrical work will you expect in the island? (Some is determined by code) (Need a plan) After the rough electrical work is done, the electrician will come back to do the finish electrical. Give him plenty of time to know when he will be needed so he can plan his schedule accordingly and let you know what time he has available.
5) Rough Plumbing. (Need a plan.) Is the sink going to stay in the same place? Will the refrigerator need plumbing? Does it currently have a dishwasher? Will it stay in the same place? Will there be one added? Will there be a bar sink in the island? Will there be a water filtration system? Will there be a garbage disposal? The plumbing will have to be roughed in for those things. Piping will be capped off and the plumber will come back to finish the connections after the cabinets are in. Give him plenty of time to know when he will be needed so he can plan his schedule accordingly and let you know what time he has available.
6) Rough Heating (Need a plan.) Depending on where the cabinets are placed and where the outside walls are and where the cabinets are going to go, there may be changes in the heating or air conditioning. Will there be forced hot air toe heating in the cabinet toe kicks? Where will these be located? Will heated underlayment be used? Will it be electrical or forced hot water?
7) Insulation. Insulate any walls that have been opened up and need insulation (outside walls and inside walls that you want to soundproofed).
8) Sheetrock. You may need an inspection by the local code enforcement officer before sheetrock is replaced. You will have to find out. Sheetrock the ceiling and walls. Mud, sand and make paint ready. Prime, paint ceiling and then walls.
9) Lay and finish the finished flooring
10) Replace frames and passage doors, trim around doors and windows, crown and baseboard, thresholds if necessary. Paint.
11) Install cabinetry (Some prefer to do this before the flooring is laid).
12) Finish electrical. Have all light fixtures on site before you schedule electrician. It will cost extra to have him come back if one of the fixtures doesn't come in on schedule.
13) Install countertops Have ALL appliances and fixtures on site, including faucets, and have all cabinetry installed before you call for templating the countertops. There may be a delay in the templating if you don't (count on it)
14) Finish plumbing.
February 11, 2013 at 10:52pm     
onthefence
eagledzines - thank you! That was purely spectacular. Every time I read one of your kitchen posts I learn something new. Well, really about 28 somethings.
February 11, 2013 at 11:04pm     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Bravo.
February 11, 2013 at 11:53pm     
bluvelvet222
Eagledzines, thank you so much for your answer which is exactly what I needed! I appreciate your informative and detailed plan and will post pics of progress.
February 12, 2013 at 12:29am     
nancy22032
My daughter and son-in-law just finished a kitchen re-do and it is gorgeous, They bought cherry cabinets (over the internet!) that they assembled themselves but had an experienced helper install them. She used light grey countertops with a glassy tile backsplash that had lines of copper thru it and used the trim from that copper tile look wall covering to edge it, plus she used a small amount of the copper sheeting in a pantry area. The combo of cherry and copper is beautiful, very rich looking. She bought a few copper knick-knacks on ebay for decoration. Wall colors are off-white, curtains are made from light blue ticking - she just used valances. Good luck and love it when you're done.
February 12, 2013 at 12:39am