Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
small remodel job
tewilgo
February 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We remodeled our kitchen in the early nineties and instead of a table and chairs we want to put in a bar. The cupboards are honey oak and the countertops are a little tan. Now we dont know what to do for the bar color because we cannot match the countertops we have. Will a dark color work to put on the bar that will be connected to the counter top we have now.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Mottles Murals Ceramic Tiles
Hello,
Sure you can do that. Select a complimentary darker shade that would be conducive to the existing beige counter. Then you can pull the new color over to the other part of the back splash area by using a matching trim. One thought that comes to mind is that you could inlay some decorative tile and then frame it with matching trim from your new color counter top. I attached a picture to give you an idea. I'm not suggesting that particular tile mural but I just wanted to show you what could be done with a little wood trim. Good luck!!!
February 11, 2013 at 9:00AM   
tewilgo
I was thinking of replacing the counter top at the end of the cupboards in the kitchen and continue with the bar extending under the windows. We thought it would be nice to put wall cupboards back under the bar but now I'm thinking they should be dark like the counter top we put on.
February 11, 2013 at 9:25AM   
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
Sorry, I am not sure, but could you do a little sketch of how this bar is going to connect with your counter top. Are you figuratively or literally speaking and will it come straight out as the table that is there now, or will it angle, be on a higher leve;, etc.?
February 11, 2013 at 9:29AM   
tewilgo
sure. I know its not clear what we are doing. Sorry! Dont have a sketch and we havent done anything yet. We are going to extend cupboards on the bottom from the end of those in the pic. The bar will be right under the window starting from the stove and coming across the cupboard in the pic and then we will angle it out 4 inches and run it approx 72 - 76 inches over under the windows. So yes it will be higher than the table. Is this clear as mud? I will see if my husband will make a sketch.
February 11, 2013 at 9:40AM   
PRO
Mottles Murals Ceramic Tiles
Oh I didn't realize that you planned to put counters under the new counter top. Are you going to be able to match your existing cupboards. If you are then your might as well change out the entire counter top so it flows?
February 11, 2013 at 9:54AM   
PRO
Yipes! It is exactly that clear...as mud :o) Will wait for sketch from hubby.

However, sometimes it is pennywise and pound foolish to piecemeal, and perhaps all new counter tops will give a fresh cohesive look.

You don't want a disjointed we were trying to save money look.
February 11, 2013 at 10:17AM     
tewilgo
thats exactly what i'm afraid of.
February 11, 2013 at 10:59AM   
tewilgo
what do you think about putting a bar against the wall under the windows instead of the table and chairs?
February 11, 2013 at 11:01AM   
tewilgo
Here is a sketch of the area left of the range we are working with.
February 11, 2013 at 11:38AM   
PRO
Tw, I am sure you probably know of Candice Olson On HGTV TV, she and many other designs like to create a built in sofa, banqett, just realize I don't know how to spell that ?! :o/ I digress ... look her up or look up examples on HOUZZ, if you spell it right you could probably find some. Put that under the window and add some lovely chairs on the other side of a narrow table, which yours may be all right, as I can not see enough of the rest of the kitchen.

Perhaps change your chairs out to something less officy looking. Because many kitchens today, whether traditional, contemporary, modern etc. they are looking more towards having an edge of elegance.

The little sofa - ette, you can probably go to any inexpensive furniture store, where they will customize a little, should be armless, like a slipper sofa ( you can slip right in and probably make it so it fits two people very comfortably but not a lot bigger than that.
Keep it cozy
Oh and change out handles on your cabinets, they are super dated. Hope this helps
February 11, 2013 at 11:43AM   
PRO
I like this idea too because your counter tops are fine and you do not have to go on a whole mis-adventure trying to connect in a way that is again, disjointed.
February 11, 2013 at 11:45AM   
PRO
Why don't you make the little space beyond, an L of cabinets that are Pantry and Cookbooks,

of why not make a cozy eating corner in your kitchen? I am not saying which, just ideas to mull over in this case.

Thanks for the sketch :o)
February 11, 2013 at 11:48AM   
tewilgo
ooo thank you! I have thought of a cozy bench and we are going to update hardware. And also getting rid of table and CHAIRS! They are disgusting. My kitchen is too dated I know! Time for a nice change. Thanks again.
February 11, 2013 at 12:00PM   
PRO
Tw you are super welcome!
February 11, 2013 at 12:16PM   
More Discussions
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Great room
HELP! I didn't realize how difficult this would be...
Can I use a prep sink in an island without a faucet?
I am in the planning stages of a kitchen remodel. ...
Toilet dilemma
I need to replace the toilet in the main bathroom in...
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.