powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Installed New Breakfast Nook..need ideas for space.
Chase
February 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
As you can see, the "new" nook is in (thanks to Craigslist!). Would love to hear some ideas on wall color, and what I could place on either side where the booths end. Right now there is about 3-5 feet of space after the booths end.

Was thinking of finding a drink display, or mini wet bar.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
As you know people will be getting in and out of the booth, so whatever you place on the end should not be breakable. I would find a different piece of art...there is too much red right now. Paint color would depend on what else is in the kitchen...what color your cabinets are, you countertop, etc. Any color goes with red.
February 11, 2013 at 8:48AM     
Chase
Yeah, we may end up putting a bay window in place of that wall piece.

The curent kitchen is made up of tan-ish walls (off white) and medium brown cabinetry with granite counter tops (tan and black colorations).
February 11, 2013 at 9:02AM   
Jayme H.
I don't mind the red art...as long as u don't paint your walls red..lol!! Can u show us pics of the rest of the room please? I was wondering if placing two, older painted chairs on each side would look nice/plus be pulled in around the table for seating..black, weathered look?
February 11, 2013 at 9:06AM     
Chase
I'll get some extra photos up tonight!
February 11, 2013 at 9:13AM     
Chase
I most definitely will not paint the walls red. What is a good color to compliment the obviously red-centric area?

I love the idea you have for two extra weathered chairs. I have also been looking for an additional bench
February 11, 2013 at 9:17AM   
Jayme H.
I would make sure a wall color also goes with the rest of the room as someone else mentioned...so if we can see pics, people will make more suggestions..:)
February 11, 2013 at 9:19AM   
Jayme H.
"Grey Screen" by Sherwin Williams
February 11, 2013 at 10:07AM     
Chase
YES!!!! This is perfect. I'll still have to upload my photos tonight, but this is excellent =p
February 11, 2013 at 10:09AM     
Jayme H.
Providence Olive..Ben Moore..wanted to show red and black with the wall paint
February 11, 2013 at 10:15AM     
Chase
Here is another photo...panoramic with bad lighting. The space the the left of the nook is really bugging me. Was thinking the chair idea might work...
February 11, 2013 at 7:13PM   
backbonemountain
How about unique stools instead of chairs? And notice how the "Grey Screen" picture of red table and chairs made the red not so overwhelming by painting the top of the table a different color.
February 11, 2013 at 7:24PM     
Chase
Yes I think painting the top of the table white will counteract the over use of red. Great call on the bar stool idea! Might have to start my search for a couple!
February 11, 2013 at 8:07PM   
Jayme H.
Did u see the arm chair in the pic with the bed, that I earlier posted? I think things like that add interest, although I would not necessarily go with red chairs.
February 12, 2013 at 6:08AM     
Chase
I did! Just have to find one on craigslist now =) That should fill the space nicely as well.
February 12, 2013 at 8:38AM   
Jayme H.
Thrift stores & rummage sales too:)
February 12, 2013 at 8:54AM   
Chase
Ah yes most definitely. Habitat for Humanity Restore's too!
February 12, 2013 at 9:04AM     
Jayme H.
I have a bunch of chairs around here...and some my husband found in alleys...old wood chairs that can be painted and are interesting.
February 12, 2013 at 9:12AM   
Jayme H.
So u like wicker? I saw some cool chairs..
February 12, 2013 at 1:36PM   
Jayme H.
The kind with arms and a higher back... Were u considering a cushion on your benches?
February 12, 2013 at 3:20PM   
lionnessone
Find a better place for your wine.
February 12, 2013 at 3:25PM   
Sandy Nelson
To break up the red I would suggest colorful cushions that will tie your colors together. Can't miss with red and a pale green with touches of black. cushions to match on those rattan chairs as well.
February 12, 2013 at 3:40PM     
Jayme H.
Examples
February 12, 2013 at 3:47PM     
Chase
@Sandy Yes! I have a blue/gray couch... do you think tying in blue might be another option? White/blue cushions? I do like the green with the touch of black though

@Jayme This is absolutely perfect! That's more wicker than rattan right? I know the styles are similar
February 12, 2013 at 6:03PM     
Marti Seymore
wouldn't put a bay window where your art is...that would overlook the air conditioner. I think the art looks fine...now bring in the dark accents, either, dark gray, blue, black...not white.
I am thinking on the seating and the corner situation...a cabinet, or small serving table in accent color or wood? Even the dining table you were using might work temporarily as a dry bar, or buffet in that left corner.
February 13, 2013 at 2:16PM     
Jayme H.
Yes, wicker, but old wicker...however I am sure u could find something somewhat similar at Pier One...possibly....Navy could work..but as Marti said, not with white..it would throw off the room with your kitchen colors. Creams and Navy...like the background in the art.
February 13, 2013 at 2:22PM     
PRO
The Creative Man
Hi, There are some great ottomans on Etsy. Something in a kilim motif w/ brown, red and ochre. Paint the walls an ochre or heather green color. Once you see the kilim patterns, you will get the color sense. Definitely new art and something different on the table, maybe a basket w/ fruit. I'd like to see a short valance added to the window at the bottom.
February 13, 2013 at 2:29PM   
decoenthusiaste
This looks to be SW's 0067 Belvedere Cream and looks good with red. You might try just one more touch of red in a chandy over the table.

February 13, 2013 at 2:39PM   
Chase
These are all great ideas. thanks all! Another question: where can I get some bench cushions that won't destroy my budget?
February 14, 2013 at 10:57AM   
PRO
Carriage Lane Design-Build Inc.
I would not put anything on either side of the seats since it will block entry and look odd. I would paint the wall area a brownish mocha hue to downplay and compliment the red
February 14, 2013 at 11:04AM   
Chase
@Carriage I've seen so many different opinions on color here... from a gray contemporary to yor mocha brown. My wife and I are adamantly trying to remove brown from the picture (even though our cabinets are that color. I think a more olive color might work well.

As for the sides... we definitely need a service tray/ beverage display. Something light and simply that won't block the movement of people at the booth.
February 14, 2013 at 11:30AM   
PRO
Carriage Lane Design-Build Inc.
Well if you are moving towards less brown than yes, an olive tone or even a gray would work great, or even a dark charcoal. If you want to do a beverage of some sort i would purchase even a small cart on wheels so it can made to be movable and has no concrete place around the table. More of an accessory stye look
February 14, 2013 at 12:21PM     
Sandy Nelson
I love your idea of the red, white and blue cushions. pier 1 has good sales and lots of choices. We almost bought your kitchen set..it was natural wood and if it had fit, I would have painted it your color. I just love it. I would have bought rattan, wicker chairs to go with it. Please don't go with Olive green. It is just not a very pretty green and I think you would tire of it quickly.
February 14, 2013 at 4:33PM     
Marti Seymore
I like the buttery Tuscan stone color of the walls already. I say, use the paint you have and just freshen it up....Like I have said before....Lighting is very important and your wall color is nice already...just saying:)
February 14, 2013 at 4:38PM     
Chase
Not sure how that image got up there..hah
February 22, 2013 at 11:49AM   
Chase
Updated with new wine storing piece! What are everyones thoughts?
March 1, 2013 at 9:26AM     
Marti Seymore
looks amazing! who is your decorator? just kidding...you guys are doing great!
Black bench seats maybe.(2)
March 1, 2013 at 9:38AM     
oneofeleven
I love your breakfast nook, and red is my favourite colour!
March 1, 2013 at 10:20AM     
Brenda Farr_Hague
Have your looked for kitchen nook here on Houzz? There are some great projects.
March 1, 2013 at 10:38AM     
Chase
@Brenda Farr_Hague I actually have! I got the idea (and went into heavy search mode on Craigslist) to find this nook =)

@onofeleven We love it as well! It's amazing the things you can find on Craigslist at 7am with a little vision =)

@Marti Seymore Definitely going to try and find some bench pads...anywhere specific I can find some?
March 1, 2013 at 10:58AM   
Marti Seymore
ikea???? online???? I will keep an eye out....got a few extra black pillows too, if you want.
March 1, 2013 at 11:21AM