Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Inspiration needed!
cdallke
February 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just moved into a brand new split level and I am struggling with ideas. Please help! The only stipulation is - I LOVE navy blue and coffee, so those elements stay. I love a calm environment. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Stamps Design Services
Perhaps you could move all the media furniture to the long wall and set up the seating area with the sofa facing it and add two chairs like this one from pier one to add seating and some pattern, using the two colors, that you love....
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 9:33AM
PRO
Stamps Design Services
There are probably many more arm chairs that use the colors you like that one was just a quick idea for you to mull over.
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 9:35AM
Shannon
I have a split level also, I am really struggling with furniture placement in that living room. My kitchen is also open to my living room.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 4:51AM
decoenthusiaste
Consider a low credenza for the TV that will sit by the stair knee wall. Then move the sofa to the long wall across from it. You do need one or two chairs. They could flank the sofa, facing each other across a great area rug and larger coffee table. Use a second area rug under the dining table where if should measure 4 feet longer and wider than the table. Move the little "buffet" from the corner under the picture arrangement and unload all the gear to the kitchen. Rework the wall arrangement so it is only 75% of the width of the buffet and the bottom pieces are 5" above it. Raise your drapes so they hang floor to ceiling and replicate the same in the dining area. Your chandy could be lowered so it is 36" or less above the table. I would replace it and the living room fan fixture with a pair of drum lights. For over the table the size should be half the width of the table. You could do a regular drum for the living room and a couple of matching pendants for the dining table.
Hudson Media Console
Como Navy Rug
Noble Navy Rug
Alecia's Necklace Drum Pendant by George Kovacs
Inca Drum Pendant by ET2 Lighting
7 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 5:13AM
cdallke
Decoentusiast, LOVE the ideas!!! Thanks!
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 11:21AM
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
I know you said you LOVE blue, but there is almost too much blue. I like the idea of replacing the all blue rug with one that has a pattern and different colors. Also, I think the placement of furniture could be better as someone else mentioned. I like the idea of the entertainment center on the wall and the sofa and chairs opposite or even a sectional would work. Also, I would definately lower your chandelier. I like the drum shades listed above. I would replace the all blue table cloth with a soft floral or stripe, something with a little pattern.
4 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 11:45AM
tennisanyone
I don't love your arrangement.Reverse the couch and put it under the window with the sofa table behind it and then move two chairs across from it with a coffee table in the middle. The TV should go where the clock is. This would allow you to look at the people sitting in your dining room. I would take down that mirror, and clock too. Take a picture of the whole room from the dining area.
2 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 11:58AM
cdallke
A couple other issues..... 2 heat vents under the windows. Second, a piano....it is a family heirloom. Now what?
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 12:49PM
cdallke
Need help with how to paint the walls too. I love the idea of grays and blues.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 12:50PM
PRO
Mottles Murals Ceramic Tiles
I see you love the dark blue. I myself love red, but I found my self toning all my red furniture down with cream colors because some one told me that too much of one dark color makes the room look blah! I have a old Baldwin piano and I had to stick it in the Dining room because I have an old Victorian pipe organ in the Living room. Sometimes in order to keep the possessions that we can not part with we have to compromise the magazine page look home for the "our home" look. You are on the right track and with all that space you will work it all out. Are you comfortable with doilies? A pretty gray or cream color runner across your table and some flowers in the room? Yikes I am probably going to get booed off this page. (smile) Good Luck.
3 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 1:08PM
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
I would move the piano to the opposite wall. In between the living and dining room. I would place the tv/console where the piano was. I would move the couch across from tv. You could either flank the sofa with chairs or put two chair infront of windows. Regarding art, I feel like you have too many pieces up. I would get a substantial piece to go above sofa. Perhaps move the large clock to the dining area and work your other art pieces around it. Or get some art that compliments the living room art. Art that has a hint of blue but not too much.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 1:11PM
tennisanyone
I would still try the couch under the window with tge table
Behind it. Take away the rocker and ottoman
Leave piano where it is for now
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 1:22PM
cdallke
If you put the sofa across from the tv and the piano in the middle of the room, that is two large pieces of furniture close and on the same wall!? Response please?

BTW, LOVING ALL the comments!!!! :)
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 2:41PM
tennisanyone
Reorient the room like i suggested and then the
Placement of the piano will be next. Move the tv
All the way on the right. The tall bookcase wont
Be right. Do you have another console table fir the
Tv?
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 3:17PM
cdallke
I like the tv in front of the low wall and I want it there. So.... Where would you place things from there? BTW, thanks SO much for all the help!
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 3:20PM
cdallke
NM, I went back to your idea....thanks! ;)
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 3:20PM
sjkingston
Navy blue lovers can handle the color in greater quantity than those who are not blue lovers. Decoenthusiaste has pretty much nailed it. By placing the couch opposite the low wall with 2 chairs arranged either under the window or facing each other across the coffee table in front of the couch, you have your basic living room layout. And it doesn't block your wall heater. The t.v. faces the couch on a low media cabinet and if there is room behind the couch, put your slim console there with the lamps on it for lighting. The piano can go on the indented wall in the dining room either positioned off to the left up against the indent or if room, directly in line with chair. Try moving the dining chest from left of the dining room window across to the left of the living room window, with the clock above it and barware on a tray or some other vignette stored on top. For curtains, look to your main color scheme. Your tan walls are a beautiful shade wih the flooring, the navy and ivory. Consider floor to ceiling ivory white curtains (Ikea has grommet 98" hem to fit ivory cotton panels for $25 for two, so you can "hang 'em high" without breaking the bank. If you like contemporary style, LisaJane's art selection is terrific as it works to bring in more color but has a background that blends with the walls and a touch of navy. (The other classic look with this color combo is sepia or black/white sailing photos.) Go large art over the sofa. though. Put the mirror sideway over the piano with candles on top and at night it will reflect back light. If the blue rug works in size, move it over under the dining table. If the piano crowds the table and you can remove a leaf in the table, that might help balance the room if you don't regularly seat six. Except when dining, remove the navy tablecloth. Then after you pick out chairs (and Karla is right, Pier 1 has a ton of possibilities . . . just make sure you sit on them as some of their chairs are less comfortable than others - there is a denim blue with small stripe as well as an ivory that are also good candidates), find a larger rug to define the living room seating area. If you go contemporary, look for a pattern in a neutral or possibly a sisal to keep the navy couch and your new chairs the stars. Great room, great start, thanks for sharing. (Oh, and the tall bookcase and rocker need to move out of these rooms which will help with overcrowding.)
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 6:07PM
cdallke
Wow, thanks SJKingston!!! Especially the ikea tip.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 6:11PM
Lkristine
Paint only transformation.......from Benjamin More paint, (cause they have a free upload, paint, change, app.)
2 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 6:38PM
sjkingston
Neat paint application. Dark walls, including greys, don't really give navy the chance to shine that whites, cremes and tans so, so Lkristine's example is the best way to try out those colors before committing to them. Also, above meant to say, if there was room and it didn't crowd the table, the piano could line up with the table (not chair). But if it fits between the table area and living area, that might look better. Consider the piano stool extra seating to be pulled forward to either room when you entertain.
2 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 6:54PM
cdallke
LOVE, LOVE the paint color!!!!
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 6:57PM
cdallke
The piano will not fit behind/ in line with the dining room table and I need the 6 chairs all the time. As far as the black buffer, I am a coffee nut and that is my coffee bar. I will admit it needs cleaned up a bit.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 6:59PM
Lkristine
I thought it looked nice sjkingston, but you are the pro, so we should go by what you say.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 7:13PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Nice rug you pinned!
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 11:09PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Yes!
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 11:32PM
Loretta Callejas
GET A NEW RUG WITH GREY ,NAVY AND AS MANY OTHER BRIGHT COLORS IN IT AS YOU CAN LARGE PRINT. PICK A COLOR YOU LIKE 2ND TO BLUE AND USE IT AS ACCENTS. TABLE CLOTH , PAINT BASE OF COFFEE TABLE , CLOCK SAME COLOR WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE THE DIFFERANCE.THEN PLACE YOU BLUE COLORS ON THE POP COLOR AND ENHANSE THE BLUE. I WOUL ALSO ANGLE MY COUCH THE SAME ANGEL OF TV. IWOUD ALSO MOVE DINING ROOM CABINET TO WALL WITH PICTURES. PURCHASE A WALLUNIT FROM IKEA SAME COLOR OF WOOD USE SHELVES TO STORE STUFF. YOU NEED STORAGE . 2ND THOUGHT I WOULD GET A SECTIONAL MOVE PIANO TO WALL UNDER CLOCK.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 12:21AM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Loretta, I would love to read your comment but with all caps it's not easy. Could you not do all caps, please. Thanks!
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 12:25AM
pie1984
ever tried putting some checkered blue and black throw pillows?? You seem to have a masculine taste so I do not think you would want any floral designs or pattern or anything girly....
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 12:58AM
pie1984
How bout something like this to give you inspiration? Add in a cream colored curtain.... etc... I'll find more pictures for inspiration and get back to you :) These throw pillows would go well with what you currently have and add diversity in patterns.... :) And if you love navy blue and you're a guy, how bout a nautical theme/beach theme for the place? It will give you that calm relaxed feeling and at the same time not clash with your love for navy blue.... :)
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 1:00AM
pie1984
Add in more colors white goes great with navy blue! Here are some other living room photos with a navy blue white theme..... Hope this helps.... :)
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 1:13AM
pie1984
Last one.... this picture is from Ralph Lauren home I think.... and this is my favorite personally :)
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 1:15AM
cdallke
Just to clear the air, I am a 35 yr old SAHM of two little boys. I love blues because of the calming atmosphere it brings. I do not like red or brown to accompany my navy. I like modern, eclectic colors and things to go with my navy. I lean towards traditional, but am fighting it! Lol. I also love modern mid century! A little more insight.....
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 4:18AM
cdallke
Navy and white are too traditional. I want the room to feel calm, but eclectic and modern and I am lost as to how to do that.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 4:19AM
cdallke
Last thing, I am struggling to find a rug at an decent price, help!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 4:20AM
Susanna
OK. Got it cdalike.....deleting everything...
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 4:29AM
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
Check out homedecorators.com. Many rugs and inexpensive.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 4:50AM
pie1984
How bout these? :)
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 4:54AM
cdallke
No offense Susanna. Not upset or anything. I hope me wording did not send that message. Please don't delete. I appreciate everyone's input greatly!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 5:10AM
tennisanyone
If the layout in any room isn't t right, then no matter what you add, it will never feel and look right. The pictures are all beautiful but impossible for a homeowner to duplicate. Most people have to work with what they have for now, adding just a few things, not an entire room full of new stuff., although it is fun to dream of what it could be. A new rug in this room would add so much so I would start with that.
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 5:27AM
cdallke
I am starting with buying a low credenza for the tv from ikea. Then the chairs or rug...... Any more paint color ideas?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 5:48AM
Shannon
Let me know how that layout works for you. As I said, I am struggling with the same layout. I was always against the tv on the low wall because I thought it would be unattractive for people walking up the stairs and down the hallway to see the back of the tv exposed. Well - let me know if that works!!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:48AM
tennisanyone
Shannon, its more unattractive to have your back towards the dining room/cuts off the whole space. The tv on the low wall will be a disaster. I helped another homeowner on this site a few months ago with the same problem/vents by the window and the same exact layout., except she had a sectional couch. I rearranged her whole room. I suggested low bookshelves on the low wall so it became a reading nook for her kids. She could not believe the difference but she was willing to try it. Why don't you post some pictures of your room so we can help you too.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 6:55AM
Shannon
Thank you for your opinions! I really appreciate it! I will post on my page - so that I don't take away from her. Thanks a lot - I am curious to see what you come up with!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:04AM
Jenny Brown
put the dining room next to the kitchen, couch & sitting area next to the bright window...
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:24AM
decoenthusiaste
With two youngsters, I would not put the sofa on the knee wall - too much temptation to play Super-hero! Your piano, however, is probably in the draftiest area of the space. Move it to the inside wall centered under the clock and the peak of your ceiling. You might want to lower the clock so it visually connects to the piano. Back to the credenza at the knee wall, but sofa under window and two chairs to the left of the piano facing the knee wall. When you go to homedecorators.com you can shop by color. This first one has any color you'd ever want to decorate with and the second one is really gorgeous!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:27AM
nikitasmom
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:50AM
cdallke
Would a zebra print rug work?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 4:15PM
cdallke
Today starts step 1, rearranging, I will post pics if you all would like.
2 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 5:28AM
tennisanyone
Doesnt cost anything to rearrange. You can
Move it back if you dont like it
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 6:37AM
cdallke
Here is what I've done thus far. A work in progress for sure.
8 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 1:43PM
tennisanyone
I think it is much better this way do you? I would get a much bigger rug and two matching chairs and put them on the rug facing the couch. but for now, put the rug under the sofa legs. I think the room looks so good. I didn't realize your tv was very small when it was the bookcase, it looks good under the wall. You must have been busy all day.
3 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 5:46PM
tennisanyone
I'm also thinking you can try the piano back on the small wall and move the tv/console where the piano is now. Get two chairs that swivel and put them in the center of the room facing the couch . I think I would like to see that white chair more on the carpet facing the couch.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 6:00PM
cdallke
Yes, a rug is due, but large rugs are $$$$. All in due time, I will keep you posted. For now I am VERY pleased! THANKS TO ALL!!!!
2 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 6:43PM
Shannon
It looks great!!!!!
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 4:43AM
tennisanyone
All just suggestions in the future. The room looks great and I am so happy you tried moving the furniture. Good Luck to you. Keep us posted.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 5:03AM
PRO
Mottles Murals Ceramic Tiles
The room does look better and more open. A little over here and a little over there can make a big difference.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 5:33AM
decoenthusiaste
The TV and piano are working very well in their new positions. Just a bit of tweaking - center the piano directly under the peak of the ceiling where it may cover the outlet. I think the tall bookcase needs to come back into the room as the knee wall and heights of the furniture are drawing a line around the room. Move the stair stepped piece to the left side of the sofa where the Alaska piece is. I wouldn't corner it though. Put the AK poster and the side table and lamp to the right side of the sofa. Bring your tall bookcase back and put it and the chair together with a floor lamp as a reading spot between the piano and the corner. And please post the change. I think you'll see that the height of the bookcase helps the visual interest factor and the shelves will give you a great excuse for styling them. Try 1/3 open space, 1/3 books (vertical and horizontal) and 1/3 decor.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 6:24AM
noahmilon
Ugly
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 6:25AM
cdallke
Noahmilon- what would YOU do?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 11:27AM
dlapollo
I also have split level
you must go with a mid-century modern decorating
go to the library and get every mid century modern decorating book they have
and study, study, study
you will find after a while that it is a minimal decorating and you must be careful not to overload
with too many things...
I have to tell you it is not easy to get right...mid century modern is the only way with an open concept
split level floor plan...
I used Benjamin Moore decorator white on walls, dark floors
and as an accent color along the dining room wall
Benjamin Moore - Stone, also going up steps to bedroom in hall way
I love it...
Its a constant trend of white against dark...
and most importantly is scale...most things..objects can and should be LARGE..not tiny...
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 11:38AM
dlapollo
one more thing
cabinet with all that stuff in it...
must go...
put downstairs in man cave..
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 11:41AM
Donna Colvin-Smith
Nice job so far, and Home Decorators and Overstock has some BIG rugs for under $300! I found a 8 X 11 on Overstock last week for $258 bucks! Craigslist is also a great resource.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 11:47AM
tennisanyone
Now that you moved all the furniture, I would try turning the dining room table the other way. Its hard to see if you will have room because I don't know what is on the other side but worth a try or just take a picture. Then try your coffee/buffet table on the big wall with less small wall hangings. Maybe the clock or the mirror.
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 11:53AM
cdallke
I love my coffee bar in the corner and it stays!!!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 11:58AM
cdallke
I love my coffee signs too. A house should reflect your personal taste and what you love. I love my coffee!! :D
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 12:00PM
cdallke
I do welcome ideas on how to successfully incorporate my love for coffee into the room.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 12:11PM
decoenthusiaste
Hit the antique stores and find a coffee service to put on the table behind the sofa or on a coffee table.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 12:29PM
Madeline
I always hear about craigslist as a great resource. It is...if one lives in or near a large urban area or a university, or well, anywhere where the suburbs that meet up with the city limits are higher up on the income distribution ladder. For instance I live in a beach between Jacksonville and St. Augustine. And craigslist has very very little to offer. But there are a lot of ads for el cheap furniture stores and yes of course, el cheapo mattresses in all sizes. Now if I lived in San Francisco or Stamford, Ct. we'd be talking craigslist!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 12:51PM
tennisanyone
Then keep the coffee stuff all around. It is your house. Good Luck and enjoy your new space.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 1:18PM
cdallke
The latest look, I love it! But now....what wall color??
2 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 7:52AM
PRO
Go Nautical Collections
You can find a lot of Nautical Decor Items for your inspiration http://gonautical.com/nautical-decor-c-2.html
0 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 12:23PM
roluciano
i like how you are starting to mix in different tones of blue.
it really opens up the space.
1 Like   May 2, 2013 at 12:06AM