Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Want to refinish my Mom's vanity
marshallglam
February 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have my Mom's 100+ year old vanity. My bedroom will be "glam"--pale, pale, frosted teal walls. Lots of silver & mirror accents. Thinking white furniture. Master bath (adjacent) is black/white "deco" with marble & silver accents. Want to refinish or paint the vanity to make a statement.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
I'd silver leaf the details, if not the whole piece -- love this!
February 11, 2013 at 10:09AM   
Kayla Thomas
What is your question? Are you wanting suggestions on paint ideas, or do you not really know how to go about painting it?
February 11, 2013 at 10:17AM   
PRO
Shelton Interiors
Try two very subtly different colors - for instance Benjamin Moore Swiss Coffee and Winter White - saw this yesterday when leafing through House Beautiful's Colors for your Home book. The effect is stunning! The subtle color combination would lend class to this piece while fitting in with your other decor beautifully!
February 11, 2013 at 10:17AM   
marshallglam
The finish is really yellowed and crackled...would you leave like that?? I, too love the piece. I have silver mercury lamps for each side....want it really to bea wow factor AND remind me what a femme fatale my mom was!!
February 11, 2013 at 10:51AM   
aniluap2
I would just leave it. It will add an eclectic touch. If everything else is white and pale teal I think this will blend in and add some interest.
February 11, 2013 at 11:08AM   
fatar1
What a beautiful vanity! I've been looking for a similar piece for my daughter' room. I would leave it exactly as it is.
February 11, 2013 at 11:20AM   
judianna20
Your tri fold vanity is a wonderful piece. I thought you might enjoy this link (and fatar1, also). The finishes are described.
http://www.foreverpinkcottagechic.com/vanities.html
February 11, 2013 at 11:39AM   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
How wonderful to have that beautiful piece to evoke such memories of your mother. I love that era too and always associate it with glamour. I can't see the colour properly but would leave it the way it is and bring other elements into the room to reference it. Such as Bedding in different fabrics like silk and linen and lace, layer it up, create a bed to languish in, sipping champagne and eating chocolates, (like a certain person on this forum, not to name names! ) ;)while reading the latest novels. You can create a beautiful room, using this as a starter point. Please show us the finished room. I for one, would love to see it.
February 11, 2013 at 11:59AM     
hazeldoodle
What about the stainless steel paint that you use to paint appliances? Then paint the mirror frame either darker or lighter teal than your wall color and perhaps the little shapes on the front of the drawers that same color to make them stand out.
February 11, 2013 at 12:06PM   
marshallglam
The problem is the finish (crackled) is yellowed and the trim is gold. I am using silver, mirrors, black & white and the pale, pearly icy teal alls. Thanks for the info.
February 12, 2013 at 4:38AM   
aniluap2
It is not a problem to mix in a little touch of gold but if you want to paint, it I totally get it. The problem with repaintingv is that you will have to strip it. Since the finish is crackled, that will not allow for a smooth top coat, and while it may be acceptable in an aged piece, it would look really bad with a fresh coat of paint on top of fissures . You might want to sand it until the flat surface areas are smooth and then refinish it with Ann Sloan Chalk Paint with her wax finish. You may want to look it up online. You won't have to prime and strip it down completely just get the cracks smoothed. Another option and I'm not so sure how this product works, but I've seen people mention it on Houzz discussions, is rustoleum cabinet transforming kits. They come in many colors and are supposedly very easy to use. I think you have your heart set on white, so go for it and post how it turns out!
February 12, 2013 at 6:51AM   
marshallglam
I have used the rustoleum kits--on old cabinetry. They work good. I do think I have heart set on either black or white.
February 12, 2013 at 7:05AM   
aniluap2
I just saw a link on another line of chalk paint called Cee Cee Caldwell which is even easier to use than Ann Sloan . You don't need to distress your piece since that is not the look you're going for but the clear soft wax finish gives it a smooth sheen.
February 12, 2013 at 7:30AM   
Kayla Thomas
Can you post a larger picture of it? It's difficult to see the finish. If you're not wanting a distressed look, I would sand the crackled parts smooth (or if they really are deep or too abundant, stripping may be an easier option). I would prime it with Zinnser primer (original), and sand lightly after that so it's nice and smooth. Then paint it with a quality paint in at least two smooth, even coats. Don't glob it on. Nice and smooth. I always seal my furniture, and have found that Rustoleum's poly (white can, orange accents) goes on really well with a good foam brush. Use at least two coats of that to seal your work.
February 12, 2013 at 5:51PM   
pruner
Deco used different metals, so don't be afraid to leave the gold. Agree with Susan Mills on incorporating the other touches and keep this wonderfully eclectic and rare piece as is. Re the crackling surface, add some glass on the flat surfaces, but put tiny little 'pads' between the surface and the glass to allow the furniture to breathe.
February 12, 2013 at 6:01PM   
carolannr
It will have absolutely little value as a 100 year old pc if you paint it. That said, if you still want to, it must be stripped if you want any kind of smooth surface. Sanding will not take enough of this old surface off to prevent the new top coat from not looking as nice as would be acceptable.
February 12, 2013 at 6:31PM   
PRO
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I would paint it glossy, really bright fuschia with some glass knobs to add to the glam factor. This would be your piece de resistance!
February 12, 2013 at 6:47PM   
Aja Mazin
Carolannr is absolutely correct.

If you must paint and the finish is crackled, you should sand, then strip before painting.
February 12, 2013 at 6:49PM   
Aja Mazin
There is another technique I hesitate to offer.

It uses tin foil and wallpaper paste!
There is nothing difficult about it, but it’s fiddly and time-consuming…and STICKY!!

It covers the crackle and a multitude of sins.

If you want the tutorial, I will provide.
February 12, 2013 at 6:58PM     
carolannr
Sounds interesting Aja, looks very much like something I'd like to try too. Could it work on an occasional chair or is the surface "Do no touch".
February 12, 2013 at 7:09PM     
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
This room came up on my front page feed tonight and made me think of your project:

February 12, 2013 at 7:10PM   
Aja Mazin
carolannr,

It is "touchable" used on table tops.
February 12, 2013 at 7:15PM   
aniluap2
Aja, I have actually seen this done on a piece at an antique store. It looks like silver leaf. They painted the piece flat black underneath in case there are any tears when applying. The silver foil is applied so that the dull side is what you see i.e. The shiny side towards the glue. There are some creases but that makes it look even more interesting. It works well on pieces that have some raised ornamentation and the cheap thin foil is the best since it is more malleable. Great idea for a deco glam look. As far as the monetary worth of the piece these dressers are not worth more than a couple hundred dollars but the sentimental worth is priceless. Marshallglam your mother would be thrilled you're enjoying the piece she loved, regardless of what you do with it!
February 13, 2013 at 7:49AM     
Aja Mazin
carolannr, ,

to achieve such a smooth surface, it requires patience and steady handy - both of which I am sure you possess.

You want the tutorial to give it a try on the chair?

aja
February 13, 2013 at 8:51AM   
Aja Mazin
aniluap2,

don't waste your money..[AS is rich enough!]
I have a recipe for home made chalk paint. - actually 3!
One is bound to fit your needs.
February 13, 2013 at 8:55AM   
aniluap2
Thanks Aja! Can you post them for the Houzz followers? You are a wealth of knowledge.
February 13, 2013 at 9:41AM   
February 13, 2013 at 10:27AM   
February 13, 2013 at 10:30AM   
Aja Mazin
aniluap2

oh geez.

did you mean the chalk paint recipe?
February 13, 2013 at 10:33AM   
Aja Mazin
here is my favorite.

You want it really creamy!

For a high shine or a really hard finish, let the paint dry overnight, then apply
Johnson Paste Wax and buff.

Repeat until you achieve your desired finish.
If it is to go outdoors wait a week.
It will "cure" in about a week, but the item can be used immediately.

No prep required and adheres to metal, plastic, laminate, vinyl....
February 13, 2013 at 10:35AM     
aniluap2
Thanks so much Aja. Really appreciate you taking the time
February 13, 2013 at 10:46AM   
aniluap2
Thanks missed the other post ...both really helpful...hugs
February 13, 2013 at 10:51AM     
carolannr
Aja, thanks for the time and trouble. I don't get many calls for this here in CO but I have a real "girly" girl grand daughter who would defintely enjoy something in this style for her room. Still love to make additions to my "formulas" bible.
February 13, 2013 at 11:05AM     
marshallglam
Thanks Aja; would love the "recipe" for tin foil & wallpaper paste. I have used Johnson's Wax...it does work well. The pix of the Hollywood Bedroom that came up oon your feed is similar to the colors in my room and VERY close to what I would like. You are a wonderful source!!
February 13, 2013 at 11:06AM     
marshallglam
You are in my neck of the woods (Florida). I will try to get a close up of how much the surface is crackled. MAYBE I willl clean really good and touch up gold with silver leaf and "live" with the yellowed crackle for a while. Like my painter friend says "put up art on the wall--live with it a bit before you decide if you like it or not". Thanks again.
February 13, 2013 at 11:09AM   
Aja Mazin
carolannr,

I have my own set of snap on tools, and I once had to replace my toilet in college, but until I discovered
chalkpaint, I couldn't paint a rock.
February 13, 2013 at 11:23AM   
Aja Mazin
marshallglam,

You might want to have an antique dealer check it out.

Best of luck !
February 13, 2013 at 11:27AM   
carolannr
I've been re-doing furniture since my earlt 20's so I think I've got that down but always can use new recipes. I started the remodeling thing with our first house - an 1800's farm house that was moved into a small town. My husband was afraid to go to work in the Cities because he would come home to major changes - walls out, flooring removed to expose birdeye maple. That's the worst part of retiring is I no longer have the strength to pitch in and do the work!
February 13, 2013 at 11:35AM     
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Carolannr, that must have been fun, never quite knowing what you would discover, and for him, what you did with it!
February 13, 2013 at 11:53AM   
marshallglam
Sounds wonderful. I wish I were younger and just starting out....would love a big, old Victorian or Craftsman bungalow to fill with old furnishings and just have all the time & energy in the world to redo! I do much better sanding and starting from scratch, then taking an item that has already been "refinished"....and try to either go forward, or go backward and start again. I think I will do the vanity slowly....just do silver leaf first and live with that.....I can always go back and sand/paint later. Am dying to try the tin foil/wallpaper paste technique. First, I am dying an ulphostered chair--with a technique I got from Emily Clark! Sounds easy....Thanks for your time & attention
February 13, 2013 at 11:53AM   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Marshallglam, would love to hear about this teqnique you speak of. Will google Emily Clark!
February 14, 2013 at 12:14AM   
Susanna
I am showing up late to the party with my champagne and chocolates. :-)

Thank you, also, for posting the recipe Aja! You always have such great DIY ideas. I have seen several on Pinterest but it's nice to hear from someone who has tried them. You never know on Pinterest if the pinner knows what they are doing or not.

Nothing to add other than if you decide to paint, I ran across these pictures of silver paint pieces that might be similar to your finished piece. Could be very glam! FYI...
February 14, 2013 at 12:30AM     
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Lol I knew you would Susanna! Welcome!
February 14, 2013 at 12:33AM   
Susanna
P.S. The new hardware on these pieces really helps also. Here is the link for a closer look at the silver pieces above: http://img1.etsystatic.com/005/0/5649852/il_fullxfull.375451993_587x.jpg
February 14, 2013 at 12:34AM   
Susanna
Hi Susan! That was hilarious!!
February 14, 2013 at 12:36AM     
PRO
Susan Mills Design
I couldn't resist!
February 14, 2013 at 12:37AM     
Rochelle Staffieri
I'm curious, do you also have a chair to the vanity? I am glad you will take this slowly so you will get the best value. Another thought I had was about the Poirot movies which are set in the 1930's. They have art deco in every set and most of the furniture is natural wood stain. It could make a nice balance and go with your headboard. It is just a thought.
February 14, 2013 at 1:13AM   
More Discussions
Something Like Subway Tile But Not
I just bought a gorgeous 1952 Wedgewood stove (see...
kitchen cabinets
We are having our cabinets made out of oak with plywood...
Need help finding curtain rods for a 220" window wall
There is a French door in the middle. I want no interruptions...
Please help me tie my room together!
Hi everyone! I've been decorating my living room and...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.