Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
design help
hs350
February 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi. i'd like some help with my living room.. i have beige upholstered furniture with taupe and orange accents. i initially thought of adding a rust rug and a geometric taupe lumbar pillow on the sofa, plain ivory curtains and some turquoise tabletop accents to break up the colors but it still seems too matchy-matchy. Im now thinking of replacing the original pillows which came with the furniture in a mix of turquoise, orange and grey(pictures of some of my fave choices included) but i think it will be too much pattern all together with the patterned rust rug(which i am partial to by the way). i want the room to end up looking cozy and comfy as well as being chic and elegant with clean lines and i havent quite figured out howto achieve this balance. i'd also like something i can change up now and then when i get tired of a certain look. im also having a triptych over the sofa but i havent decidedon colors yet. would welcome all comments and recommendations. thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Julia Wakely Interiors
I would place the ottoman in front of the chair. I would get rid of the patterned pillows on the sofa and replace them with ivory and warm golds in different textures and sizes. Fabrics such as velvet, burlap, cashmere, cableknit etc. Place an ivory bowl on the coffee table and add a big piece of interesting art over the sofa. I would replace the end tables with 2 different end tables not matching the coffee table or else replace the coffee table. You could go with a bigger one in a painted wood or leather.
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 10:48AM
Nakia Shaw
I really like your space! I would add some art work to that nicely painted wall behind the large sofa.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 10:52AM
hs350
thank you all so much for the suggestions. unfortunately replacing the end tables or the coffee table wont be possible at the moment. what do you think about the design below?
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 11:02AM
PRO
Julia Wakely Interiors
Much better. Choose a piece of artwork that you love and that is not so matchy matchy. Even a large black/white photo enlarged on canvas would look terrific. Put an ivory lumbar cushion on the patterned chair with a standing lamp beside it.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 11:06AM
hs350
thanks again! i would definitely choose artwork in some other colors.. would love to add a plant. i thought of some dry stalks or bamboo stalks but would love a touch of green
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 11:12AM
movethisnotthat
you are doing great with your room, one big piece of art you love with turq in it...sky?water? Or even add 2 big mirrors behind the lamps would give your room another layer. You need some different textures too.Maybe you can find texture in a different rug or in different pillows. Rooms are built one layer at a time.
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 11:36AM
sluggodog
I like the rework of the room you did with the pop of turquioise and other pillows, rug art etc. I actually think your end tables and coffee table go with what you have going on. Keep doing what your doing..:-)
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 11:53AM
hs350
thanks a lot!
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 1:27PM