Professionals
Users
Help with mantle and surround
bettypannell
February 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
New house, empty room that echoes, no furniture yet
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
feeny
I would begin by painting the central rectangle of the mantel (just inside the small trim line) the same color as the walls.
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 10:41AM
Ramona
I would leave the white if you want, but you need a wonderful piece of art that you love that can set the stage for the room and be its inspiration. You have room for matching sofas at right angles to fireplace which is my favorite arrangement. Find a rug and a painting that work well together and then use that to build your room. What is your style?
2 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 10:45AM
bettypannell
Ramona, my thoughts exactly on furniture placement. But, I'm thinking 2 matching sofas and a coffee table in the middle would leave only 32 inches between back of sofas and the walls. The walls are about 18 feet tall. Could do a gallery picture wall on one side. Wanted to do tall bookcases on the other wall. My style is mostly a mix of balanced, traditional and comfort cottage, if that makes sense.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 7:25AM
PRO
Dytecture
Can you tell us the size of this room ? photos of other walls would be helpful to see where one enters the room and if there are any circulation issues.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 8:49AM
bettypannell
17 x 19 actual, 17 x 16 for furniture placement
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 8:55AM
bettypannell
Other wall photos
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:09AM
PRO
JWinteriors
I wouldn't paint the inside panel wall color as it takes away from the statement of the fireplace and you're left with a white frame.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 9:18AM
PRO
JWinteriors
Mount window treatment a foot above windows to keep the height working in your favor. You could add a wrought iron scroll to the space between ceiling and fireplace for added interest.
2 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:21AM
PRO
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I would remove that top part of the mantel.....it just looks odd! But short of that, I would leave it white. It would be a good idea to put some voluminous, very long curtains in a light fabric the same height as the door frame.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 9:29AM
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
I know you said this is a new home, but I would recommend taking the fieplace all the way to the ceiling. It will make the room appear much grander. I also agree with JWinteriors and I would not paint the inside panel. I would then do drapery panels that go all the way to the ceiling but tied back away from fireplace. Have included photos to help visualize. Good luck!
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 9:33AM
judianna20
Here is a design much like yours, but there are two second floor level windows to help balance the height of the fireplace. Could your builder come back and do some trim work, (which corresponds to the woodwork over the mantel), above the lower windows to help balance the height? Like the trim over the doorway in pix 2
Custom Fireplace mantles, build-ins
Austin Patterson Disston Architects
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 9:37AM
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
I just found a photo of an over mantle that will give you an idea of taking it all the way up the wall.
2 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:38AM
Jayme H.
Are u going to mount a t.v. or a pic over the fireplace? What would u call your style, and are u planning or do u want to revamp the fireplace at all?
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 9:45AM
bettypannell
Judy's, love the 2nd pix, that's the look! Picture over mantel, no TV,
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 1:21PM
Jayme H.
I think u could put a pic or mirror there..
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 1:25PM
PRO
Scott's Creative Home
It appears the builder had an extra fireplace mantle that was delivered slightly too short. The second mantle looks like an after thought. Consider removing, or adding so that it extends to the ceiling.
http://www.scottscreativehome.com/
2 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 1:32PM
Jayme H.
OK ...2 more...although u do not have built-ins..u could do a window treatment on top of windows to help balance the height of your Fireplace...these 2 fireplaces do not go up to the ceiling...And I just saw that JWinteriors mentioned a similar idea.
3 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 4:55PM
libradesigneye
I think the overmantle scale is fine as is - with shorter window header a taller to ceiling overmantle would not look right. I agree that the way to handle this is with window treatment valances mounted above the flanking windows for softness and color - set below crown of overmantle to top of window to scale with light. I wouldn't hang panels at all, given distance from trim to side wall / attractiveness of trim.

A pair of sofas facing each other can be cozy, but another option might work closer to fireplace and feel more intimate here - consider on the far wall with bookend doorways, perhaps use pair of angled chairs instead of sofa there, so that side is more shallow and open and you can more easily walk through and behind - put your gallery wall there to accomodate traffic flow. Hang nothing higher than the top of the overmantle art so it is the star and bring the gallery as low as the top of the chairs / sofa back to fill the wall visually.

On sofa side, use a sofa table behind the sofa with lamps behind and ottomans beneath to pull out for the bookcase area - fill it more visually - you will still have balance. You could downsize the center element a bit - perhaps an 18" wide trestle or upholstered bench instead of a square ottoman, so the sofa and chairs pull closer to the fireplace opening than your original layout - 32" behind plus even 6" more on each side will make the room feel spacious / allow you to use a sofa on the left if you prefer it. That is enough for the wish list you had given the length of the room - if you find it too close behind the sofa with the console, shift the bookcase run closer to the entry, centered on the whole wall instead of the sofa in front . Try to add gallery lights to the bookcase so you have low lighting in the space.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 9:30PM
PRO
Act Three Designs
Well-first,congrats on the new crib! Beautiful space! LOVE the tall ceilings, windows,hardwood floors and fireplace-so essentially, everything in this pic. ;) There is so much you can do with this space. My first thought was putting a starburst mirror or wall art of some sort in an unexpected shape like the star either in the alcove paneling over the fireplace, or above it further OR 2 smaller ones on either side over the windows like this great photo I found online. It kinda goes with that cottage contemporary look I think you noted you wanted.

You could put either a plant or statue or some vase maybe even with a pop of color in the middle alcove above fireplace since you wouldn't have a tv there you said. I would also hang draperies, or maybe even sheers higher than window casing to accentuate the tall ceilings. You could put half round shelves or other crown molding affect shelves just above where you hand the curtain rods, to also draw your eye up, while adding small plants or decor figures that you want to show off.

I would suggest a large rug with pops of color and bold repetitive pattern to also give balance to the room from top to bottom (bringing eyes up to tall windows,fireplace,ceiling height, and back down to the floor in a cozy seating area).

I'm always a fan of couches on angles and furniture in general on an angle-so perhaps one couch and one accent chair perpendicular, both on a diagonal from the center of the fireplace-makes it more inviting and you don't block the fireplace that way!

Maybe some topiaries with three rounded tiers ranging from largest on bottom to smallest, one on either side of the fireplace on the floor to add some symmetry to an otherwise unsymmetrical furniture layout.

So, I don't know-those are some of my thoughts of decor and placement-this would be SO much fun to decorate though-have fun and best of luck!
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 10:01PM
Jayme H.
Agree that the height of your windows and ceiling does not warrant an "up to the ceiling" fireplace....This room will be just lovely!
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 5:23AM
bettypannell
Wow, thanks for all the great ideas! Jayme, thanks for the pictures. They both are ideas that have been swirling around in my brain. And Act Three Designs, never thought of a star burst mirror, what a great idea! Now, gotta go shopping, again! ; )
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 5:32AM
cellis89
I would tear out the top part of the mantel leaving a more traditional look. This would also give you options, e.g., place a mirror or picture above.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 5:36AM
kwiggers
Because the space is so different and visual you have to make this a focal point above the fireplace. I like old things that keep there value or increase in value. So I would find an antique flag frame it and use that as my focal point. It will not only be a focal point but a conversation piece and only go up in value. What ever you choose for this area it must be a stand out. Old glory would be perfect for me
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:39AM
bettypannell
I agree with investing in statement pieces that hopefully increase in value. Thanks kwiggers
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 9:41AM
PRO
Act Three Designs
Please be sure to post some after pics! I am still so jealous of this space! By the way, I am not sure this is exactly the type of mirror I would use in this space, perhaps more for a hallway,entry or bedroom above a bed, but I found this great blog of a fabulous inexpensive DIY star burst mirror using poster. It's pretty incredible and was featured in Home and Garden magazine I believe as well. Thanks for giving me inspiration as well with this great space! Can't wait to see the after shots. :) http://www.thenester.com/2011/01/how-to-make-a-sunburst-mirror.html
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:35PM