Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What would you do with this fireplace?
Sarah Stacey Interior Design
February 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I doing a kitchen and living room remodel and am stumped by this awkward fireplace. It is in between the kitchen and the living room. It isn't in the budget to move it and we can't remove it. The ceilings are 20'. I've found a few images on ways to make fireplace more attractive, but they are for 10' or so ceilings and most won't apply in this situation. Should I widen the top portion to be equal the bottom? This will make room for more shelving in the kitchen. I'm also thinking that I will close in the weird nook above the bar in the living area. What would you do?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
It does make for a weird kitchen. Just close in all the pass-thru' bar area under the decor shelf and retain one opening into the kitchen. That would be my suggestion.
2 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 11:00AM
Jayme H.
Can u widen it on both sides the entire width of the fireplace?
2 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 11:09AM
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
Make the fireplace go straight up and put a stone veneer on the entire thing. Also get a beautiful timber mantel with nice character above the opening.

Fill in the entire wall betwen the kitchen and the fireplace to make for a more optimum kitchen. more cabinet space etc.

Put beams across the kitchen. Knotty Alder with Varathanes Early American Stain ( a suggestion - just did this in clients house and it added amazing character and charm, a real home run) This will tie to fireplace charm to the kitchen.
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 11:30AM
PRO
Dytecture
This is one of the oddest design I've seen in a long time. I agree, have the fireplace wall go straight up to the ceiling.
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 11:38AM
Jayme H.
I agree it needs to widened and go up to ceiling
2 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 11:57AM
PRO
Sarah Stacey Interior Design
Isn't it the strangest thing? I agree to make the width equal all around. Great idea about the beams! I'm not sure we can close the kitchen in however, the homeowner entertains and uses that area to pass food through for guests to munch on. I also agree about wrapping the entire thing in the same material. I think stone would look great, do you guys have a different suggestion?
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 11:58AM
Frank Borszcz
Stone veneers from ceiling to the floor. Add a nice rustic beamed stained in a med brown.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 12:22PM
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
Hi Sarah, I think in this case aesthetics has to take priorty. And there is the practicality of what it adds to the kitchen as well. I serving window to the living room is not going to elevate this room aesthetically. And, in the end it is just a habit they have become comfortable with.

My mom always said it take two weeks to change a habit, perhaps three in this case, but tell them when everyone oohs and ahhs over the absolute classic beauty of it they will be thrilled they did it. Isn't that always the case Sarah? It is always so often hard to get them to see it, and you know once it is there they will love it.

It will also add so much more value to their home. Great return on investment.

Go classic elegance :o)
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 12:23PM
peetsoo
I would definitely close in the pass through for a cleaner look throughout. This would also create a cozy corner for furniture arrangement options instead of having the eating bar there (which doesn't look all that accessible anyways)......... I think the impact would be equally impressive in the kitchen as well. The one cabinet looks really odd and I'm not sure that adding another cabinet there would be a huge improvement. I think if it were me I would remove that cabinet entirely if the pass through does not get closed in. It will be interesting to see what you decide to do with the spaces..........
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 12:38PM
cranch39
move the fireplace.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 12:46PM